Overnight backpacking trip.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight backpacking trip.

Hi all, My friend and I are photographers, and we are planning an overnight backpacking trip (maybe 2 nights) as we practice for our summer trip to Glacier NP. I have not backpacked in a long time but have done many day hikes in the ADKs including several high peaks. I am just checking on some things. I was planning to park off 73 at the trail head (Ausable Club area) and heading up to Rainbow Falls (likely doing some photography along Lake Road) then taking the Gill Brook trail. Hopefully we can camp somewhere along Gill Brook? We want to see Indian Head, Fish Hawk Cliffs, Nippletop, and Colvin. Do you think this is too much for one night? Anyone have suggestions where to camp along that route. Plan is end of June in the middle of the week. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks for the help!

No camping on AMR property. I believe the only camping spot in that area is on the Elk Pass trail en route to Nippletop.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Three designated spots along Gill Brook Trail starting at around 2250' just off AMR property.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.1...=16&b=om&a=mba

Could go Lake Road, Rainbow Falls, Indian Head, Fish Hawk, and make camp at site near there. Do Colvin next day and head back out via Gill Brook.

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for clarifying Makwa. I'm at work and only hastily looked at my map.

• docnick
      docnick commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much this is really helpful!

there are 3 designated sites along gill brook after you cross onto state land.
    you will see state land posted, its a bit after gill brook cut off.
    the best site is marked by small stone cairn and official yellow disk with arrow that leads you down steep embankment then across gill brook to nice open isolated campsite marked with disc.

Comment

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the one across the brook new? I had checked out the others last summer, and don't remember having seen the disc or cairn for one on the other side of the trail (I think I remember there being a possibly illegal site right beside the trail opposite the dec marked sites).

I agree with Mastergrasshopper - the first site you come to from the Lake road across Gill Brook is the best. The others are a bit further on the West Side of the trail but IMO all are quite accessible - the lake road is easy mileage and the hike up to the designated sites is not bad at all.
    Nature has music for those who listen...

45/46

Comment

Others have hit the nail on the head in terms of prime camping spots. Just remember that bear canisters are now required for this area and in past years its been a very busy area for those critters, so be sure to take the steps to keep your site from becoming an attraction to them.
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought that doesn't take effect until 2020. Either way, agree it's probably a good idea given the last few years of bear activity along the Lake Road corridor.

• FlyFishingandBeer
        FlyFishingandBeer commented
        Editing a comment
        Derp. I think you're right. Still, I don't think I'd camp up there again without one. The Lake Road and Gill Brook sites are notorious for bear activity.
    Working...
    X