Garden Closed Summer 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Closed Summer 2019

Bridge work. Shuttle will be the only option.

https://t.co/zKLsjhXfmf

Edit alternate link:

https://www.townofkeeneny.com/2019-g...le-information

2019 GARDEN/JOHNS BROOK VALLEY HIKER SHUTTLE SCHEDULE

The Garden Parking Lot in Keene Valley will be closed Summer 2019 and cars must park at Marcy Field. Parking for hiker access to the Johns Brook Valley via the Garden Parking Lot will be from Marcy Field.

The Johns Brook Bridge is being replaced this construction season and there will be no through traffic for cars or pedestrians.

Hikers can park at Marcy Field and ride the shuttle to the Garden trailhead. The cost will be $10 round-trip per person ($13 Canadian). The shuttle will run from 7 am until 7 pm, and the town intends to run the shuttle seven days a week. There may be interruptions to the schedule if the town canít hire enough bus drivers to staff the schedule. If you have a CDL with a bus endorsement and want to work part-time in a beautiful setting, please contact the supervisor.

The town is working closely with the DEC and Adirondack Mountain Club to help inform hikers and provide them with access in spite of the temporary closure. The town recognizes that this is a major disruption during the nicest hiking weather, but the bridge replacement is critical. The current bridge is in such poor shape that the town canít run plow trucks over it safely. Please respect the closure and donít park or walk on private property to gain hiking access. Illegally parked cars will be towed. Town Employees and DEC Rangers will monitor the lot during the week.

The fees pay for attendants, maintenance, winter snowplowing, and portable toilets.

CURRENT SCHEDULE
    Monday: Shuttle Closed
    Tuesday: Shuttle Operating 7 am to 7 pm
    Wednesday: Shuttle Closed
    Thursday: Shuttle Operating 7 am to 7 pm
    Friday: Shuttle Operating 7 am to 7 pm
    Saturday: Shuttle Operating 7 am to 7 pm
    Sunday: Shuttle Closed
    The shuttle operates from the Southwest corner of Marcy Field, off Route 73.

I realize it has to be done... But, certainly throwing a wrench in the plans...

The link won't open for me. Does it go into any details re: the drop off point or possible adjustments to shuttle hours?
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
      Editing a comment
      Just added the longer link and details from it in my OP.

Here's another link to the same page: https://www.townofkeeneny.com/2019-g...le-information

Comment

Taking the shuttle would mean $20 for a couple. $40 for a family of four. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to get out before the last shuttle. Better to walk the road. But, if everyone walks the road there might be issues with the parking lot next to Valley Grocery filling up.

Comment

• WeHikeForMike
        WeHikeForMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I expect they will just drive to wherever the shuttle drop off is. They can say "no"... but left to their own devices....

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        I too am reading it as no through traffic for pedestrains. I would guess that would mean no drop-offs.

And to dissuade people from walking the road, bushwhacking around the bridge work then fording Johns Brook.... it's all private property through there. I just verified this on the Essex County Map viewer. http://essex-gis.co.essex.ny.us/ You'd be trespassing if you tried to circumvent the prohibition on pedestriam through traffic.

• NickWI
        NickWI commented
        Editing a comment
        ADK is saying on Instagram no pedestrian traffic over the bridge and no pedestrian traffic on the alternate road the shuttle is taking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvfJbSxgZzO/

What's missing is the planned Start Date. I can see not starting until the spring melt [high water] is finished. That would put the start date literally in June.

From 2018 the shuttle service stated 2nd week of May.

Wonder how they are going to pull it off. It's a one lane bridge and not much room for a temporary span. Should be interesting to see.

Don

Comment

• Festus
        Festus commented
        Editing a comment
        Construction is slated to start in mid April or whenever the weather cooperates. The bridge is slated to be re-opened in late July/early August. Locals (and the shuttle) will use a closed road that comes in from another direction. This road is a dirt path that is opened every 20 years or so for just such occasions. It is private (no walking) and open only to locals that live up towards the Garden. Basically, it really comes down to use the shuttle or wait till the bridge re-opens this summer...

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, Well. Glad I asked. Thanks for the head's up.

Closed Sunday can not possibly be accurate

Comment

• Learning The Trails
        Editing a comment
        I think they don't have a driver scheduled for Sunday yet.

muddybottom PA Ridgerunner
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
        Closed Sunday can not possibly be accurate
        I think it is, until, as they mentioned, they find a driver...
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Is Smith Road or the ~300m of property at the end of it before intersecting the brook on private land? I wouldn't try parking up there but if foot traffic is allowed it seems like an interesting change of scenery.

Edit: Now I'm wondering how this is going to affect business at JBL this summer. That's another two-miles on the employees' round trip commute (on foot, from the single land bridge that won't be there), plus having to make shift changes on the shuttle's schedule. I'm guessing this is going to make work a little tougher on the Interior Outpost staff as well; possible slower SAR response times, etc. A busy savvy landowner could pull in a little extra beer money from NYS for allowing Rangers/DEC for letting them park on Smith Rd. and make the short BW over to the trail.
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            See post #4.4 above. Didn't see your post here as I was researching/typing my comment there.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but for those with reservations on the ADK property (JBL, cabins or lean-tos), there will be a separate shuttle and it will be free (will also be running from Marcy Field). However, their departure times from the Garden are even more limited than the town shuttle, so it would be helpful only to some degree. I got a screenshot from a friend who was making the reservations yesterday. According to the screenshot, the shuttle will pick up registered guests at Marcy Field at 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 4 pm and 5 pm and then take them to the Garden TH. The shuttle will pick up the registered guests at the Garden TH at 11 am, 12 pm, 4:30 pm and 5:30 pm and then take them to Marcy Field.

so... either rely on the shuttle, or hike in from south meadows for extra miles and ele gain on the way back. or hike elsewhere... which I suspect lots of people will do and that has to strain the rest of the parking areas even more.
          46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by YanaLG View Post
            so... either rely on the shuttle, or hike in from south meadows for extra miles and ele gain on the way back. or hike elsewhere... which I suspect lots of people will do and that has to strain the rest of the parking areas even more.
            Big Slide from S. Meadows is a very nice hike and while the bridge is being repaired it (and Yard) may offer exceptional opportunities for solitude.

Comment

Is this Keene Valley being pissed off at the Ausable Club? Because it's going to impact the Ausable Club.
            ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 266/552
            Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
              Hear the Footsteps commented
              Editing a comment
              That's pretty much the way I used to enter the Great Range via the AMR. Years ago and before it was organized with an attendant, the Garden Parking was a mess. I stopped going when one day I thought I couldn't even get out without someone to direct me backing up my car. I climbed Basin twice this way. Climb over Pyramid, Gothics, and Saddleback then return the same way. Builds character.

It will put stress on parking and push traffic to the AMR.

I suppose it'll be busy at South Meadows too with access via Klondike Notch.
              Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-26-2019, 06:46 PM.

• halocline
              halocline commented
              Editing a comment
              No, this is Keene Valley repairing a bridge that provides access to many residents' homes.

Could you just take Mason Young rd then a right on to Adirondack Pk then right onto Stove Rd then the holy grail left onto interbrook rd and you are back in business?
            Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
            ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

I'd imagine this is going to cause a bit of hardship for some folks and their plans. Lucky for me Victoria Day thru Labor Day are times I avoid the well trodden routes.
              Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

There is an old 4WD trail in the woods. If you could bushwhack from the rooster comb trail then you have your way in. You could choose a contour line that makes easy to follow on GPS. Then publish the map in altrails.

Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
                ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Learning The Trails
                  Editing a comment
                  I see that trail on a list of john map. A number of people keep saying on facebook park at R Comb & walk to the garden. But, none have mentioned "how" to do it.
              Working...
              X