Mr Van lean2 relocated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Van lean2 relocated

Over the weekend, the Adirondack Forty-Sixers and the Lean2 Rescue team worked jointly to move the Mr Van lean2 about 1100 ft uphill, to a point just before you reached the original lean2 location. With a small crew of about a dozen people, everyone worked their *sses off big-time to get this big project done in a timely manner. On Saturday, the crew disassembled the lean2, moved all parts and pieces uphill to the new location (some logs were so heavy that 8 people were needed to haul them), and assembled much of it at the new. On Sunday, the roof boards were put on, along with the shingles, and was all set for a group of kids hiking in.

Much thanks to Joe Bogardus, Sam Eddy, Tom Fine and Doug Varney for their leadership, and everyone for their efforts! Leaving a trace in a positive manner :-)
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Nice work, John and the rest of the crew!

Unclear on the new location. You said it's 1100' away from the previous location, but then you said it's just before you reach the original location...has this L2 been moved twice?

And the cynic in me has to ask - is the L2 now 1100' away from water (rendering largely useless as a camping facility)? Or is it still near a water source?

Comment

Sorry I missed out on this one! :(

Comment

I have two new places to visit to gather fresh data for OpenStreetMap: Mr. Van Lean-to and Boquet Lean-to. Then there'll be the many designated campsites being rearranged at Flowed Lands /Lake Colden. Busy, busy!

I assume the new Mr. Van lean-to is now southeast of its original location?
        Looking for Views!

Comment

My distance guess is probably as bad as John's, but I would say the turn off is 400-500 ft on the trail before South Meadow Brook where the lean-to formerly stood. Carrying the logs up the trail does make it seem longer. The Forester cut a path to the brook where the materials were dropped by helicopter. This is now a trail to a beautiful rock beach in a bend of the brook and possible fishing/relaxing spot. Now, it is definitely a go-to destination for R&R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds pretty nice. How far from water source, before and after relo? (Unfortunately, after reading all posts, new location is still undecipherable...)

Comment

The new location is near the letter T in shelter.

The useful water source is the brook coming down from the south toward the old location. The rock beach is on the brook north of the word Shelter.

Comment

Is it the rock-beach the white area along the river bend visible in this image?
                http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.19...17&b=sat&a=mba

​That looks like a great spot!
                Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                  Is it the rock-beach the white area along the river bend visible in this image?
                  http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.19...17&b=sat&a=mba

​That looks like a great spot!
                  Looks right, but the brook goes around the north side of the white area. You can see why the pilot liked it, and also why the volunteers carrying a ton or more of material didn't like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X