Help Looking for iPhone of Skip Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Looking for iPhone of Skip Baker

The family of Skip Baker, the gentleman who recently died in the High Peaks this week, is trying to find Skip's phone. It is an iPhone, believed to be in a black case. The phone likely has photos of him on the summits, and those and other info on it are important for the family to have. The contents may also help them understand the sequence of events which occurred this week better. If you locate the phone, please contact the NYS Police, DEC Forest Rangers, or Terri and Dave at Tmax & Topos Hostel (518-523-0123).

Skip was found in the East Branch of the Ausable River near the base of the Wolfjaw Mountains in the Great Range. It is believed he went up Gothics via Pyramid, then was seen by a couple on his way to Armstrong. Thank you very much!
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

I'm assuming they've tried to ping the phone to get an approximate location, but as some have suggested that it may be in the river, that may not be possible. :(

Comment

Did the SAR Recovery team look for the phone at the time of the recovery, or only notice later that it was missing? That information would help people who might want to look for it.

Also, many (most?) people carry their phone loose in their pocket. I would expect it is in the river, at or downstream from the location where the man was found. A precise location for the recovery, which I am sure is known, would help people who might want to look for the phone.

Comment

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        I know we're all LNT but perhaps a marker where his body was found could help people locate the phone. I agree. It's probably in the river downstream of where he was found but without an idea of the probable origination point of the lost phone........ If it's in the river, it will be a miracle if it's found.

The area where the body was located is most likely on AMR land where I think you're not allowed to go off trail.

Comment

• gebby
        gebby commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are right about needing to be on trail. This will be like finding a needle in a haystack. :(

I don't any more about the iPhone other than what I've been told. As far as I know, it was not found around where Skip was found. I am assuming authorities tried to locate his phone via remote means. I will be placing a call to the HPIC this morning to also make them aware. Yes, gebby, it is like finding a needle in a haystack, and NOBODY is expecting anyone to start bushwhacking to find the phone.
      We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Working...
      X