Whiteface from Whiteface Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteface from Whiteface Landing

I will be in the Adirondacks on May 13 and was wondering if the trail starting near Connery Pond to the summit requires more then microspikes. Also, since we only have one car, would it be possible to hike to the summit and have a taxi or private person bring us down to our car? Pure laziness I know, but it makes for a much more pleasant hike up if we can get a ride down.
    It's not about winning, but the rivers you cross.

That is a great trail with a lot of elevation gain (starts at 1650 feet). Spikes should be fine by that time, as it faces south and southwest, but there may be some snow in protected places. The upper part of the trail has a lot of rock slabs and scrambling on huge boulders (not good for dogs or short-legged people). Some of the slabs are very slippery when wet.

For the purpose of becoming a registered 46er, you must hike down to a trailhead for the mountain to count.

Comment

The toll road opens on May 12 according to this... http://www.whiteface.com/activities/...morial-highway

I would double check the operating times/dates by calling up there before attempting what you are suggesting. $15/ car&driver plus $8 for each additional person to drive up. I don't think they would charge you for hitching a ride down. That adds some cost to your taxi ride... if they'd even go up there???

If this is a hike you're hoping to count toward your 46 just know that unless you return to the trailhead under your own power the hike is nullified. If it's just for fun then have at it.

Comment

Thanks a ton for the response. While I have climbed all but three of the 20 tallest, I won't be doing all 46. I climbed Whiteface many years ago and thought it might have been the most pleasurable of all my climbs - but my wife met me at the top and we drove down together. When I did climb it I had my dog with me and he had no trouble with the slabs. My present dog is an even better climber then he was. Ice would definitely change that, but it appears that that won't be a problem. If anything made climbing higher up dangerous for my dog or us, we would turn back before putting any of us in danger. Just glad that snowshoes won't be needed!!!

Comment

My wife and I climbed Whiteface for our 46er finish a few years ago. We were dropped off at Connery Pond by my son in law and my two daughters accompanied us. We were met at the top by the two sons in law as well as grandchildren. We then hiked down to the Reservoir and were met there. The best way to do Whiteface, in my opinion, especially if you're not trying for Esther.
          You could probably get a taxi to pick you up there. A better plan might to leave your car at the terminus of the hike and take you to the trailhead.
          BTW, the "road" was definitely marked as private although, except for a few trees, it could have been driven in a Jeep (the USGS map shows it as a jeep road!).
          Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
          2nd round: 16
          SL6r #596
          Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Yup, it's definitely not a good idea to use the USGS 7.5' Topo maps for much more than terrain. They're based on old surveys and are outdated for things like trails, shelters, back roads, etc. AdirondackAtlas is a better reference.
            https://adirondackatlas.org/?token=0...8cd0be335b9e49

​Having said that, I know one of their sources of trail info includes the DEC's data ... :(
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. We decided that we will climb up and back down instead of trying to get a ride back to the car. I'd be lying though if I said I am glad the road doesn't go all the way to the landing!!!

Comment

You could hire a boat to take you to the Landing (or paddle).
                Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                2nd round: 16
                SL6r #596
                Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
                  You could hire a boat to take you to the Landing (or paddle).

Might look into that. Dog is skitish around canoes and such so might have to catch a ride over. Certainly will look into it - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X