Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail conditions

Hi,

I'm new on this forum. I'm canadian and I would like to know the trail conditions in the Adirondacks.

I'm planning a trip to Big Slide Mountain soon.

Do you know if there are trails that are closed because of the water and the mud ?

Is there a website where I can find the trail conditions ?

Thank you for your help!

Axe Andre

Welcome!

​There is currently plenty of snow in the mountains so you'll need snowshoes. At lower elevations you're likely to find a combination of ice, water, frozen ground, and mud ... so you may also need microspikes.

​Big Slide is located in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness area. This area is protected by several regulations including the need to use snowshoes when there's more than 8" of snow on the ground.

​At the moment, none of the trails are closed due to water and mud. Trails are rarely ever closed (the last closure was due to Hurricane Irene in 2011). In late April or early May, the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) usually asks hikers to voluntarily avoid using certain trails (in the High Peaks region) and trails above a certain elevation (typically 3000 feet but it varies).

​The DEC's announcements and trail conditions for the High Peaks region can be found here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9198.html
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Thank you very much!

I went this winter and didn't make it to the summit. Looking forward to reach my goal this time!

Comment

Mud was fine this weekend for W-A-B-I. No high water issues. Doable mostly in spikes but definitely needed snowshoes. The regs are there for a reason. Seems silly at lower elevation but once you hit the snow, and it softens up, wow, would be ugly without them.

Comment

Working...
        X