Hammock in lean-to, legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammock in lean-to, legal?

While surfing thru some google images, I came across a photo of an ADK lean-to with a hammock strung from one end to the other inside. I know that tents are illegal inside a LT, but a hammock? A tent takes up more room than just a body and says "goes away" to other arrivals, but hammocks are relatively new. Has the law caught up yet? any legal eagles out there?

this has been covered here before and while I don't recall if there was a resolution as to the legality of hammocks in lean-tos, there are clearly some safety and ethics concerns. I would advise against it. (Full disclosure: I hammocked in an otherwise-empty uphill leanto one night after several hours of being kept awake by mice.)

Comment

Yup; it's been discussed before. Here's one thread: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...ions-reminders

What I said (5th post):
      ​A hammock isn't really shelter, the tarp above it is shelter. A hammock is like a replacement for a ground pad. As such, it's tough to have it neatly fall under the "no tents in a lean-to" rule but easily fits in the "bad manners" category.

​You're supposed to allow the lean-to to accommodate its maximum carrying capacity. You prevent that from happening if you:
      • ​Spread your gear all over the lean-to's floor.
      • ​Choose to sleep at odd angles instead of front to back.
      • ​String up hammocks inside the lean-to.
      • ​Erect folding chairs and cots inside the lean-to.
      • ​Sub-divide the floor space into private sleeping/cooking/card-playing areas.
      • ​And several other things that will garner you stink-eyes all evening long.

Looking for Views!

Comment

maybe not the letter, but probably the spirit.

Comment

I've never heard a good (official) answer to this either. I would agree that as long as my ability to use my fairly allotted space of the shelter wasn't hindered (including not having anyone sleeping directly over me), I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

One thing I have noticed that counts against the use of hammocks in lean-tos, however, is an increased number of large spikes (or hooks) being permanently hammered into the walls of lean-tos to facilitate hanging of hammocks. When hammocks are being hung in ways that threaten the integrity or shorten the life span of the shelter, then that's definitely not OK.
          Last edited by DSettahr; 11-29-2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X