Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpeyFootSoakey Swamp.

Looking for Views!

Cool! Would this be a familiar location?

Comment

It's the signature attraction of the "Opalescent Waterpark"! It's the often-mentioned "Floating Bridge" located about 0.2 miles north of Feldspar Lean-to along the Feldspar-Lake Arnold trail.

I haven't seen that trail, unfrozen, in years so it was high time to experience it as it was meant to be! Most of the trail is in good shape but the floating bridge is the conversation piece. I was chuckling most of the way because almost every part of it is unsteady; it floats, so every step causes it to shift and bob. It has seven spans and the two planks forming the second-to-last span (at the northern end) are submerged.

I imagine someone attempted to mitigate the submerged span by placing a half-round log atop the sunken planks. Wow! Was that thing every tippy! It was too challenging for me. I pushed it aside and walked on the submerged planks. As you can see from the animation, Bib chose to do the same thing. It seemed like a fair trade; damp feet in exchange for not falling in.

We may have lost the bridge across Lake Jimmy but we still have this one!
      Looking for Views!

Comment

I loved that Lake Jimmy bridge!
        Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
        2nd round: 16
        SL6r #596
        Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
          It's the signature attraction of the "Opalescent Waterpark"! It's the often-mentioned "Floating Bridge" located about 0.2 miles north of Feldspar Lean-to along the Feldspar-Lake Arnold trail.
          I thought so. A stupid mess passing as a trail, and so easy to fix. But it's amazing that people jump to defend this mess as it is. And go read the trail maintenance thread on VFTT. God help you if you so much as trim a blowdown without formal training - it's the end of the world. I have half a mind to go do the lake Arnold trail reroute myself some rainy night in mid week...

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post

I thought so. A stupid mess passing as a trail, and so easy to fix. But it's amazing that people jump to defend this mess as it is. And go read the trail maintenance thread on VFTT. God help you if you so much as trim a blowdown without formal training - it's the end of the world. I have half a mind to go do the lake Arnold trail reroute myself some rainy night in mid week...

PM me if you do. Vigilante trail maintainers unite!
            ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 269/552
            Photos & Stuff

Comment

I think repairs of this magnitude need DEC approval. This is beyond clearing downed timber or cleaning out a water-bar. Minimally, the submerged span of the "floating bridge" needs correction and may potentially need more lumber to do the trick.

At best, the trail should be routed away from the wettest area (it currently goes right through it). This is an old-tyme Adirondack trail that hugs the Opalescent, offering good views of the brook and Colden's slides, and then climbs out of the valley to Lake Arnold. It has received a lot of trail-hardening but the lowest and wettest area continues to thwart the efforts of the trail crews.

In the image below the "lowest and wettest" is the oval of land bound by the Opalescent on the west and bogs on the east. The trail runs through the center of this oval. The problem start at the "Bog Bridge" which is a series of planks spanning a wet section. The floating bridge spans completely inundated land (visible in the photo).

Several yards west of the trail, the land appears less wet because it is forested. I have not bushwhacked through the so-called "less wet" area so I'm just guessing its state based on an aerial photo! Anyhow, assuming it is truly "solid", it allows for a short re-route (yellow line) that avoids the wettest area. It needs a new bridge over a brook that drains (a generous term) the swamp containing the floating bridge. Materials for this new bridge could be scavenged from the floating bridge (although the water-logged timber is probably awfully heavy). Alternately, the Bog Bridge's planks could be used.

Farther north, the trail crosses the Opalescent on what I called the "Dislocated Bridge". This bridge consists of two massive logs standing about 5 feet above the water. Its western end has been dislocated from its mooring and has shifted downstream by about 3-4 feet. It remains solid but is evidence of the volume of water coursing down the brook during spring-melt.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 06-05-2016, 12:44 PM.
              Looking for Views!

Comment

I've gone swimming, involuntarily I should add, here. I rather climb a ladder than traverse this area a third time.
                My blog

Comment

Working...
                X