Ebenezer Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebenezer Mountain

Driving north on Rt. 9N towards Upper Jay there is a mountain I believe to be Ebenezer Mountain. It has very many open ledges. Views from the top must be outstanding. Some searching on-line indicates it is not public land. It still begs the question, is there a herdpath up this mountain and/or do the property owners allow access? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is it before Upper Jay, or after? If it is just south of it, then you are likely looking at The Cobble Mtn., which is east of Sentinel. That does have some lovely views from the top. I can't say anything about Ebenezer Mtn., however.
    High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 32/46 (2nd); 14/46 (3rd); 7/46 (4th) Winter: 10/46 (1st); 1/46 (2nd)

The other 56: Summer: 56/56 (1st); 14/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 4/56 (4th) Winter: 14/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (1/56)

My personal list of 458 (all seasons): 212/458

Comment

It is a beauty! Every time I drive by I imagine climbing it. Sadly, I don't know who owns it or if access would be permitted.
      Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty certain the mountain I'm talking about is Ebenezer. It is just north of Upper Jay. You see it as you are driving north on Rt. 9N towards Upper Jay. I have some follow-up information I received from a friend. The entire mountain is owned by Wellscroft Ice House LLC. On-line lists a Vermont address and not much more. I still wonder if there are any herdpaths??

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bourque View Post
          I have some follow-up information I received from a friend. The entire mountain is owned by Wellscroft Ice House LLC. On-line lists a Vermont address and not much more. I still wonder if there are any herdpaths??
          Since you have established that it is on private land, even if there are any herdpaths , without permission to enter it is still tresspassing.
          "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Totally agree. Hence my original question. "Do the property owners allow access?" Does anyone know?

Comment

Update and good news. The Adirondack Land Trust has purchased this property. It's called Four Peaks. At some point in the future Ebenezer Mtn. and Rattlesnake Knob will be open to the public.

Comment

Of note, the summit of Ebenezer is not included in this purchase. The smaller Rattlesnake knob to the north is included, but the actual summit of Ebenezer is not.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post

Since you have established that it is on private land, even if there are any herdpaths , without permission to enter it is still tresspassing.
                  Is that the Law in New York? That is land is private it is still trespassing if you are on it, even if there are no Posted signs anywhere? Just curious.

Comment

• Runty
                    Runty commented
                    Editing a comment
                    NYS PENAL LAW S 140.05 Trespass.
                    A person is guilty of trespass when he knowingly enters or remains
                    unlawfully in or upon premises.
                    Trespass is a violation.

A slap on the wrist, but if you know its wrong you probably shouldn't do it.

• nickUSA
                    nickUSA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rhetorical question: In the absence of posted signs, how are you to know that you're trespassing?

My copy of GaiaGPS includes a layer called Private Land, which is property boundaries, including ownership. Many of the ownerships are wrong, but the ownership of Ebenezer Mountain (and Rattlesnake Knob) is one Kevin B. McKenzie! Is that right?
                  Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
                  2nd round: 16
                  SL6r #596
                  Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

• An_Na_Vo
                    An_Na_Vo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Mike, no, that's wrong. Rattlesnake belongs to the late Martin Schwalbaum (the parcel that was purchased by the Land Trust as discussed here). Ebenezer is largely us (the Napiers/ Wellscroft LLC). Feel free to get in touch if you have questions.

Useful tool for bushwhackers in NYS: Essex Country Map Viewer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ebenezer Mtn - Property Info - Essex County Map Viewer.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	491176
                  Looking for Views!

Comment

Please be advised that Ebenezer is largely on private land; the area described in this post belongs to David Napier and his family. Any questions can be directed to volkmann@me.com.

Comment

Private is private. It is not up to the owner to post, it is the responsibility of the person entering unknown areas to know where they are. If posted, then it could be seen as criminal trespass. At least this is how it was described to me by an attorney when many were assuming that if not posted it was OK to go when the CHH first became a list.

Comment

Agree with Mudhook. There are a bunch of folks out there (Adirondack Explorer - you listening?) who seem to want to try to force their way into private land, when there is tons of state land available to explore. This is usually in support of a false narrative that the concept of private land is somehow "evil." Do the work; explore the state land. Believe me, there's plenty. Or pay the fines for trespassing.

Comment

• Learning The Trails
                          Learning The Trails commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What happened with that lawsuit?
                          I know they were in court a few months ago and it was being covered by AE...
                          Then, they just ghosted on the story/outcome.

The Adirondack Land Trust purchased Ebenezer Mountain earlier this year.

Comment

• An_Na_Vo
                          An_Na_Vo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dear Joe, that is categorically not true, sorry. Ebenezer has two summits, the lower one being the one discussed here, and that is on our property. I will try to upload a map with boundary lines to avoid any more confusion. Please also note that the property is posted. Again, as I said in a previous post, please just email us if you have any questions - I am David's wife Anna and can be reached at volkmann@me.com. You can get in touch with him at anthonydavidnapier@gmail.com. Thanks.

• Craig
                          Craig commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you, Anna.

• An_Na_Vo
                          An_Na_Vo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You're welcome Craig :-)
                      Working...
                      X