What does your user name mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your user name mean?

Well this question has been asked over on ADKforum, and has gotten quite the response. I figured I'd pose the question here too. What's the significance of your user name? Any cute stories about it?

Mine is lame. Just ADK (you know, like that big park in NY, the Adirondacks), and 88...my birth year.

Have fun if you want...like I even need to say that to this crew.
    Last edited by adktyler; 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM.
    Videos --- Camp Loonsong

Um, ah, er, one should ask me in private.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Uh.......Duh

Comment

Thomas Frederick Rankin.
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
          Thomas Frederick Rankin.
          I have a middle Frederick too

Comment

Mine's a secret, and I don't give out that kind of information to just anyone.
            "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Eagles and owls:

Halia is short for haliaeetus leucocephalus - bald eagle. Halia is also the name of the main character in the book I wrote. I started using Halia as an alterego of sorts a few years ago, just for fun. I say it "holly-yah".

Flammeus comes from Asio flammeus: short-eared owl. Tom is enough of a new age-y freak (just kidding, honey) to have actually chosen a totem animal through a semi mystical process. His animal is the owl. Please don't give him any owl-related trinkets.

We do always sign in at trail heads and canisters as Halia and Flammeus. It's almost a superstitious ritual for me.
              www.heatherrolland.com
              www.honeymelonfudge.com

Comment

Mine comes from a nickname I earned in middle school. I was known for being a half Swede (rare in these parts) and a fast runner, so I earned the nickname "Speedy Swede." It was eventually shortened to "Swede" in high school after my track days were over. The nickname stuck all these years but I'm beginning to lose that association as all those who were familiar with me as a teenager slowly dwindle away from my social circle.
                "In a long ramble of the kind on a fine autumnal day, Rip had unconsciously scrambled to one of the highest parts of the Kaatskill Mountains. ... From an opening between the trees he could overlook all the lower country for many a mile of rich woodland. He saw at a distance the lordly Hudson, far, far below him, moving on its silent but majestic course, with the reflection of a purple cloud, or the sail of a lagging bark, here and there sleeping on its glassy bosom, and at last losing itself in the blue highlands."
                —Washington Irving

New Jersey 1K Club
                My Climb List

Catskill 35: 39/39 (finished 3/7/2010)
                Catskill HH: 60/102
                ADK 46: 20/47
                NE 67: 17/67
                NJ 1K: 52/52 (finished 1/10/2010)

Comment

The ADK part is obvious, and "piper" because I play Scottish bagpipes of various sorts.

Comment

One of my dogs is named Rusty, and the other one is a maniac...
                    "Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' "
                    -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
                      I'm intrigued, maybe just a hint?
                      Going where the wind don't blow so strange
                      Maybe off on some high cold mountain range.
                      Robert Hunter

www.tmax-n-topo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tmax View Post
                        I'm intrigued, maybe just a hint?

He told me once on a hike... It's rather funny.

Mine is because I'm the size of a cow, but I used to ski at very stupid speeds. I've since slowed down quite a bit (due to a particularly nasty crash) and became and even bigger cow.

I lost 5 pounds this week, and bought new skis that will keep me nice and slow for a week or two!
                        "I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

Because "Rik" was already taken.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
                          And death is a long cold rest.
                          You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
                          Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
                          -Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
                            Uggh... I was going to ask you at the gathering last week, but forgot/got interrupted/etc.

Mine is just a name I made up. It sounds real, and most people actually think it is my real name.
                            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey View Post

Mine is just a name I made up. It sounds real, and most people actually think it is my real name.
                              Kind of like your (multiple) bithdays!

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
                              And death is a long cold rest.
                              You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
                              Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
                              -Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                              X