Inappropriate Mountain names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inappropriate Mountain names

The Bitch Hill thread got me thinking about inappropriate mountain names.

I have a few, I'll let y'all fill in the blanks.

'N-word' Hill in the Catskills. (Since changed, it used to be on the map)

Lots of Squaws.

Grand Tetons ?

Next...

Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views And Brews

Dix?

I've always been curious about the various "Negro" features around the Adirondacks. Negro Hill next to Mt Gilligan (east of Route 9 going toward E-Town), Negro Creek, Negro Lake, and others are also scattered around the 6 million acres of the ADKS. I wonder if the origins of these names were racist in nature.

Then there's Swastika up in Clinton County though the name predates the Nazis... https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...eping-its-name

Lastly, I suppose Indian Head could be found inappropriate or objectionable as well since it was named for the feature that looks like a stereotypical Native Amercian in profile.
    Last edited by Makwa; 11-27-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
      Charlene 2.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I call Indian Head "Uncle Hugh", because my uncle has a snoz about the same size.

In this case, the N word ends with 'er'.

Big Indian as well.

Nipple Top.

And yes, one could probably object to almost anything, like Jefferson, who was a slave owner.

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      We could just use numbers instead of name, since everything just about insults everybody in today’s, snowflake society. Marcy could be Mountain #1. Or, we could names from Star Wars. Darth Vader mountain. Palpating Hill. TK-421 Mountain. Han Solo Falls.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose that means Blake would be renamed Jar Jar Binks?

I'm not going to "woke" these down for fragile ears (although understandably the N-- mountain didn't need to be listed in long form), because this isn't Gender Studies/CRT 101. We all know the topic and can read maps. Admittedly some of these are a stretch but in the right or wrong context...

Coon https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.2...807&z=14&b=mbt
    Drag https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.4...213&z=15&b=mbt
    Lynch https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.5...043&z=16&b=mbt
    Brushy Knob https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.6...495&z=15&b=mbt
    Twins https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.5...847&z=14&b=mbt
    Dick Hill https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.3...039&z=15&b=mbt
    P Gay https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.7...875&z=15&b=mbt
    Death https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.3...359&z=15&b=mbt
    Bitch Mountain (and its neighbor Jug Mountain) https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.3...172&z=16&b=mbt
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• FoulHooked
      FoulHooked commented
      Editing a comment
      "I'm not going to "woke" these down for fragile ears...because this isn't Gender Studies/CRT 101."

...ok...

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      FoulHooked Don't get me started! Anyone working in higher ed, even medically based higher ed in my case, has had to bear witness to the absolute absurdity of this new sensitivity over language and the lack of students' understanding of context; ie.: "are we discussing a topic or am I intentionally insulting you as an individual?" Its gotten to the point where instructors have to issue trigger warnings prior to discussing basic human anatomy or regionally common diseases, lest some student try to make a federal case (not an exaggeration) by saying that institutions are asserting preset gender roles or promoting racial stereotypes, etc. This is part of the reason I provided map links with each of my responses. If this thread were to come up in somebody's Google search, as our threads frequently do, the terrain features listed without points of reference would be enough to at the very least cause an influx of new members who only joined so they could hijack every thread by calling us all racists and anti-LGBTQ+'ers. Seems far fetched, but sadly its not.

An aside note, "woke" culture has been actively labeling hiking itself a racist activity due to the assumption that its a predominately white hobby/sport, and supposedly intentionally seeks to exclude POC from hiking clubs, public land access (AMR, you aren't helping AT ALL), and the idea that gear/clothing companies market to a predominately white clientele.

So yep, there was a reason for my snarky preamble.

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Your second paragraph is an interesting topic and perhaps worthy of a thread of its own. I know there has been efforts and initiatives to make the ADKs a more inclusive and welcoming place. I'm not quite sure what progress has been made during the pandemic though. I would be interested to hear more. It really doesn't take an anthropologist or a trained eye to see that the hiking community is lily white though. The annual tourism reports from ROOST bear this out as do looking at any photo from any trail or summit in the Adirondacks. But the reasons for this are far more complicated and nuanced and the solutions more difficult than just recognizing the issue and rolling out a welcome mat. It could take generations to make any headway. That said, I have never witnessed any overt racism directed at specific individuals while hiking. I can't imagine the hiking community excluding anybody who wanted to participate or intentionally driving folks away. I think the only requirement for inclusion is the desire to hike and then showing up to do so. But I have seen (and mentioned in a few trip reports here over the years) seeing some things that bothered me in certain corners of the Adirondacks. Confederate flags, graffiti depicting Nazi inconography, and other imagery are bothersome. Those don't make me feel welcome and I'm a white guy, so I can't imagine how the folks who are the targets of those symbols feel, but I can fully understand why they would be hesitant to stick around in a place that openly espouses such views. It's not everywhere but when I see it as I drive around I always wonder what's bubbling under the surface in these places. Changing the racial composition of any sport or pasttime is a daunting task. I can't think of one that has pulled it off to any degree. Golf and tennis saw some bumps with the global superstardom of Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters but those are extreme examples and once in a lifetime types of talents. Hiking has no global stage nor any superstars in Nike commercials to be role models. It would have to be a grass roots effort to get a more diverse crowd involved with the sport. Honestly, I wouldn't have the slightest idea where or how to start the process.

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
    That reminds me, the Catskills have 'Big Rosy Bone Knob', perhaps Jay H's favorite mountain!

On a side note, how can I tag a person who has a 'space' in their username? Neil

And for even more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...KLL_story.html

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      I have problems with the "space" when commenting on a post like I am here. I use an underscore (e.g. @firstname_lastname) for the space. Sometimes it works and the tag shows up and the person gets a notification he/she has been mentioned in the thread. Sometimes it doesn't and it just shows up as a character string that may never be seen by the intended tagee. But I have no idea why it does or doesn't work. Seems rather hit or miss.

However, for a new post in the thread (not a comment under somebody else's post) I type the @ then the name up to the space and a possible list of names on the forum pops up on the screen pretty consistently. I then just select the name I'm looking for from that list and the tag is inserted in the post.

To summarize, and using your example, when I type Jay in a comment nothing happens but when I do that in a new post the list of Jays on the forum pops up.

• Neil
      Neil commented
      Editing a comment
      No idea.

Btw, I've been on Brushy Knob.

Squaws Bosom in Baxter State Park

Comment

There's a Big Wood Mountain ski resort!

Comment

Jay H ! that works, Makwa , thx!

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Tom beat me too it. Big Rosy Bone Knob is indeed a cool peak and also on the Knob list..

The trustees of the reservation here in MA I believe have or in the process of renaming Squaw peak on the very popular Monument Mtn property in Great Barrington...

I have no idea if it's in-process or done but I know it's being renamed.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
        And death is a long cold rest.
        You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
        Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
        -Pink Floyd

Comment

• greatexpectations
          greatexpectations commented
          Editing a comment
          not sure if it is official with the USGS (or whoever the appropriate org is) but it is official on the trustees side of things. i've seen the signs and website changes.

https://thetrustees.org/inclusive-sp...ment-mountain/

i have also seen it listed as peeskawso on openstreetmap based mapping services.

• Jay H
          Jay H commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it is of course a Trustees property...

The Knob List!

I don't think I know about that. Sounds cool!

Does that include the "Knob Mountain" and "Little Knob Mountain" in the Adirondacks? Access to those is difficult due to surrounding private lands...

Comment

• Jay H
          Jay H commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never included the ADKs in the Knob list but there are a couple in the catskills. My memory is rusty and my maps are not handy but there is Hiram's Knob by Rider Hollow trailhead and a few other knobs.

There is also a Nose list... Anthony's Gertrude, etc. but this isn't all just catskils but the 'Gunks and Harriman, of course

Knob Lock. Chastity device for males? Or German for garlic?

Comment

You know, Knob Lock is a fabulous peak. Neil, I can't remember if you have been up there. I can share some info if you want to climb it...

Comment

Hmm. Pretty tame list Here's some hair raisers for you... (courtesy of Gripped Magazine)
            Squaw's Tit, near Canmore, Alberta, usually just called "The TIt".
            Same area: Chinaman's Peak. Name since changed, but still called the old name.
            Trail names like The White Imperialist, Naked Teenage Girls, No Tickee No Laundry, Chinatown.
            Just yikes. But....
            They're working on it....

Comment

We could always go into climbing route names, many of which are way beyond what would even be allowed to be posted here...

Comment

I still chuckle about the many references to the "Giant-Dix" wilderness, made on numerous occasions by a local group of podcasters.
                My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Working...
                X