ADK Council Story Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADK Council Story Map

Posting this link and then pouring myself a large scotch before typing another word. Feel free to get started.

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

I found it too long and as a result sped through some sections. To be fair, perhaps it's because I've seen much of this already. So it's a repackaging.
    I did noticed that same muddy stretch of trail picture.
    I don't think I'd seen the chart for visitors by day to Cascade. It must be the count from the counter ADK has up there.

Comment

Irrespective of the narrative on which one can agree or not, the story map itself is visually stunning.

The survey at the end seems biased to me, as these tend to be. At this point, I don't think anyone is looking to "expand recreational opportunities". To me, the issue is much more about making current opportunities safe for people and the environment.

Of the 11 "management actions" that you can check, 5 are about limiting capacity. Another one that mentions "bigger parking lots" is bundled with "building wider trails" which is ridiculous. There is nothing about trail improvement, which could go a long way to prevent erosion and widening.

Comment

The whole situation would be laughable, if were not so sad (and dangerous).

Yesterday, I walked a stretch of the new "multi-use recreational trail" near the new Frontiertown campground.

Huge paved and striped parking lot (at least 40 spaces; I did not count). A wide, flat, graded trail, packed crushed stone surface - no exaggeration, you could ride it with a skinny tired road bike. Your $25 million at work.

And all of this, totally deserted - no one there at all. Meanwhile, the High Peaks, Pharaoh, Hurricane, etc. are all packed with people, even on a Wednesday.

I thought "Imagine if even half of these resources had been spent to improve parking and trails in the high peaks?"

The users have voted with their feet, and it's obvious where they want to be. Albany stubbornly insists on spending the resources in places no one goes.

(This is representative of a "central planning" mindset. "We in government are smarter than the unwashed people. We will tell them what they are going to enjoy.")

Comment

• Learning The Trails
          Learning The Trails commented
          Editing a comment
          We visited the same part of Frontier Town as you for a little bit last year... Just to check it out. Around 45 barren spots. Nice trail.

Whether or not you read the article, which was pretty long once you start detailing in on the individual sections, regardless of your POV on the subject, please scroll to the bottom and complete the survey. The survey itself was created in a way as not to appear biased, but definitely is. I'm not going to bother posting the "Griswoldian" rant that was running through my mind when I finished reading it last night. You've all heard some variant of it before.
        My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          The survey is horrible. Biased in every way possible.

I could spend all day nitpicking the presentation but it serves no purpose as I agree with 5 of their 6 recommendations. I just don't agree about limiting use as it's a lazy and small-minded approach to solving any problem. And I continue to abhor their blaming of hikers for using public lands. If NYS maintained them better and actually had a comprehensive plan while investing in the region then the overuse issue wouldn't even be talked about.

• Learning The Trails
          Learning The Trails commented
          Editing a comment
          Well said Makwa

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          The presentation kept locking up my I-Pad Mini. So on the PC I looked and decided I didn't want to complete it. Agreeing with Makwa.
      Working...
      X