The Noble Brook Trout Makes The Hike Up The Opalescent to Lake Colden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Noble Brook Trout Makes The Hike Up The Opalescent to Lake Colden

Marvelous news in this week's "The Sun". The beautiful brook trout (State Fish of New York) has made a return to the waters of Lake Colden. The waters are once again habitable for this finned barometer of the health of the lakes. They haven't returned to Avalanche Lake as yet, but hopefully, they are thinking about it. I'm old enough to remember acid rain, so this is really, really wonderful news....

That's really amazing. A quick google search shows the DEC is pretty surprised but super pumped, and definitely doesn't look like they were "stocked" in any way. They are working on testing to see if they are actually hold-overs that were "hiding" in the lake when they weren't finding any, and if the brookies aren't native to the lake that means they had to be dropped by birds into the lake and survived, or somehow made it up to and through or over the dam? Really crazy and something when you think about it. Have they already reported on the testing to see where they came from? I have always thought brook trout were up there with the most beautiful fish with their crazy speckles.
    Thanks for posting this, good to hear good news when its too often the other kind we hear.
    35er #3133
    46er #11799

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
    Zarathustra

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
      Charlene 2.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got lucky on the Lake Road in September, I always check the AC stocked pond to see the fish. A couple was there, the guy feeding the trout grasshoppers he had caught at the Dam. (I felt like Caligula watching the slaughter at the Coliseum, but, nevermind that.) This guy knew a lot about brookies, that they spawn in the late summer/ fall and when they are ready for action, they get a bright stripe on their side fins. Sure enough, a few trout flashed their colours. They really are gorgeous...

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel lucky to be within a half hour of Rogers Conservation Center and their personnel and trout ponds (Sherburne) and the South Otselic fish hatchery, and less than 10 mins from some amazing pools on the greatest tiniest fly-fishing trout creek in ny, the Geneganslet.
      Where is the AC stocked pond? is that the dammed pool right on the road partway in, or is it further in by the big lake dam?

• Charlene 2.0
      Charlene 2.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      The dammed pool right beside the road.

Could'nt some private individual have release them?

Comment

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely possible
      But for lake colden I would imagine not probable (besides illegality, the actual physical carrying-out of the stocking, and all without the state knowing).

• Charlene 2.0
      Charlene 2.0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, why not, but here's hoping they did it the hard way if they did. Carry them in a bucket over the Cold Brook Pass.

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      Trout are extremely fragile in terms of surviving out of cool, highly oxygenated water. Place a trout in a bucket of water and it'll usually be dead within a few minutes. These fish most likely made it there as eggs attached to the feet of ducks or other birds that will land in water.

Well they've put illegal fish elsewhere. Lets hope the genetic tests tell us.

Comment

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27358

It may never be known for sure who or what put brookies in Lake Colden. I've read where there were historically none in either Colden or Avalanche Lake. I've also read that the Tahawus Club stocked Lake Colden with them. Remember, the Tahawus Club used to own Lake Colden. Were they there from the time the glaciers left? Did DEC just miss a few when counting? IDK.

Comment

This is great news!

I remember in high school writing a report on acid rain and the affects it has on the plants and animals of the Adirondack park.

This brought back some memories!
        If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Some of us already knew about this is didn't want our secret (catch and release) fishing holes being made public!

The day before the DEC's announcement about this I had been chatting with another forum member who told me there were no fish in L. Colden. Having done a lot of fishing downstream from Colden but not in Colden itself, I had seen trout rising to feed in the lake but kept my mouth shut about it in hopes that nobody would be the wiser.

This really is awesome news. Hopefully other "dead" bodies of water in the ADK will start repopulating as well.
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
            Charlene 2.0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oops. My bad.

I don't doubt the trout could have been missed by the DEC, or whoever, when they were sought in the past. I recall fresh Otter Slides, I didnot see otters, in both snow and mud along the Opalescent and saw a Peregrine take a blue jay on wing on Catamount north of Whiteface both after they were declared gone in the ADKs. If animals that large could've been missed surely a fish in water could have been.

Comment

Working...
          X