Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much further until the sign/marker/summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much further until the sign/marker/summit?

Here is another good one from outside mag
    https://www.outsideonline.com/240136...w-much-farther

When I am descending and am asked how much further until the summit, my answer depends, if I am a ways down, and the ascending hiker still has a ways to go with much stiff climbing ahead, I usually say something like "do you want me to be honest, or do you want to hear optimism?" And then answer from there (dude, you just signed in and still have 8 miles and 3k ele to go, just turn around if you are asking already. I don't really say that, but often want to).
    If I have just left the summit and the ascender is very short distance from the goal, I usually reply with some witty remark to get them chuckling "sorry to tell you this but you are still 2 miles away" (when in reality its less than 0.2miles and all their hard work has already been put in). And from this reply I can see who has done their research (they smirk and know they are close), or if they are a clueless triker (they get all dejected thinking they still have hours when its really only minutes) and I have to explain I was just joking and they are close.
    35er #3133
    46er

"The Kingdom of Heaven is not a place, but a state of mind."
    John Burroughs

Replace all the "You're almost there" with "Mile, mile and a half" and add a devious grin and that's me.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

I've joked quite a few times that "it's still a ways to go" when the person is fairly close.

However, I've gotten better when people seem to be really struggling about giving an honest answer. ie: the guy we ran into in the Sewards last week.

Comment

• bikerhiker
        bikerhiker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, definitely a good point.

• Learning The Trails
        Editing a comment
        We were down climbing the slabby sections (Just N of the Caulkins Brook HP) to the D/S col and there was a couple ready to climb up to D enroute to E. They had done D/S and asked how far it was to E. "You got a ways to go," I replied.
        "Really?"
        "Yeah."
        They at least were of the few that looked fresh. Half of the ppl we saw did D/S first (not counting the solo young guy and older guy that did Seward North Trail approach).

In my head I was like "FFS why would you do that? You hit the one with fewer trails first!"

D ain't worth anything without following it with E.

Edit: props for dropping "Triker."

• bikerhiker
        bikerhiker commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, I muttered the term triker under my breath at least once while descending marcy a few weekends ago, the most memorable time also applies to this "how far is it" topic, when we were back down to phelps mtn junction on the van ho, right before torrential rain at 4pm-ish, and a young couple in jeans with a tiny draw string bag between them which might have held 1 Poland spring bottle, passed us going up. On their way to marcy. After 330pm. Right before the strongly forecasted storms. Surely no rain jackets and probably no head lamps in the small bag, and I heard the guy joke not to worry that they would definitely make it down before dark. I am pretty sure he was wearing mid high basketball shoes, which I am sure did awesome on all the rocks and roots in the torrential rain both going up and down the rest of the way. I'm guessing with not reading about them in the ranger reports the last few weeks either the rain, the steward on her way down, or more forceful smarter hikers behind us got them turned around.

It depends. One answer of mine is,' I haven't been there yet.'
      That is kind of like, 'I don't know, where you headed?'

Comment

Sometimes I'll offer to show them my GPS ap on my phone to show how far they have to go, if I think they are mentally strong enough to process the data! :P

Comment

My go to response is... "You aren't tired already, are you?"

I've had mixed reactions.

Comment

Let's face it, there aren't a ton of 5-second interactions you can have on the trail, so I don't mind this question at all. I generally say "I've been going down x minutes" and let them make their own calculations/assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Fournier View Post
              Let's face it, there aren't a ton of 5-second interactions you can have on the trail, so I don't mind this question at all. I generally say "I've been going down x minutes" and let them make their own calculations/assumptions.
              That's a good reply, sometimes I'm mean and say "You're halfway." Because wherever you are you're halfway home.

Comment

Working...
              X