• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greatexpectations
    commented on 's reply
    https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=64198

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    greatexpectations Got a link to the event?

• greatexpectations
    commented on 's reply
    i am doing wakely dam next weekend and am pretty excited about it. i guess(?) the 'no racing' is just for the high peaks and not specific to wilderness areas as most of the race is in the west canada lakes wilderness.

• Adirondackiteer
    commented on 's reply
    Not the High Peaks, but the Wakely Dam Ultramarathon takes place on a 30-some mile segment of the NPT. Really wanting to try that one someday myself, but need to get down there and hike it first.

• Makwa
    replied
    WOW!! These guys must be really fast...

Leave a comment:

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks.

Wish we had this discussion over in the other thread.
    https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...-public-emblem
    It's another great example of Saranac Lake totally dropping the ball with the admin of this program.

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Per the 1999 UMP - no racing.

https://www.facebook.com/47777510561...42108/?app=fbl

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    I meant events like charity 10k trail runs, etc. See my comment below though. I was also under the misunderstanding that Ampersand was part of the existing 6er relay/race. I also thought that a portion of the High Peaks wilderness was used in a leg of one the the recent RAGNAR offshoot events. Maybe I’m mistaken about that too.

• FlyFishingandBeer
    commented on 's reply
    I also thought Ampersand was part of the relay.

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    CatskillKev Thanks - Not sure how I missed that.

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    They had to make due with the situation and Panther was the sub. The plus side, it makes the all day affair a little shorter.

I agree, it's nothing like Ampersand. We climbed it after doing the TLT last year just to say we climbed the bastard 7th "SL 6er." ...I call it "Panthersand" as a joke on the relay.

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    I stand corrected. Was not aware.

So then it isn't a Saranac 6er relay... it's a Saranac 5er + 1 relay to get everybody into town. My god... Panther is no substitute for Ampersand. I would say Ampersand is 3-4x more strenuous than that little hill.

• Learning The Trails
    replied
    Makwa Ampersand isn't used in the 6er Relay because of the No Racing in the High Peaks law. They use "little" Panther Mountain on route 3 as a substitute.

Leave a comment:

• Makwa
    commented on 's reply
    Saranac Lake has an annual team race for the 6er. Ampersand is in the High Peaks Wilderness so technically there is currently a race within the boundaries of the wilderness area although the other 5 mountains are in other forest preserve units.

• Learning The Trails
    commented on 's reply
    Just curious what you mean by organized race events?
    FKT attempts done like they are now? Or, actual races with sponsors, prizes, etc?
    Legally the only High Peaks that can be used for organized race events is Whiteface and Esther.
Working...
X