The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2019

Look what's listed first alphabetically...

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...C-0SSn4MuvetCE

The Adirondacks, New York

One of America’s first vacation destinations, New York’s Adirondack Mountain region has been luring travelers since the late 19th century with clear lakes, pure air, and 46 high peaks to climb. You can still visit in classic style. Built in 1927, the Hotel Saranac reopened last year after a respectful renovation that brings a touch of urban grandeur to the charming town of Saranac Lake. Hidden in the woods outside of town, The Point is a sumptuous lakeside resort that occupies what was once a “great camp” belonging to members of the Rockefeller family. A change of ownership has brought a welcome refresh to the elevated woodsy décor. —Peter Terzian

I wonder how the ADK-C would feel about this. When I openly questioned them about their take on Cuomo's marketing of the ADK/High Peaks region they immediately reverted to the Five Rules of Dodgeball: Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and Dodge. It would be interesting to see if they condemn this as contributing to the "over crowding" issue since there's no purse at the other end of this ad.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      I kinda figured that this would be the typical response when I posted. Didn't want to steer the conversation by mentioning "overcrowding" but now that you mention it....

Good question. Undoubtedly it will bring some new visitors to the area. Could be a dozen... could be a thousand. Who knows with articles like this. I would imagine that more people will see the little blurb on the Adirondacks than the 40th or 50th location buried way down the page. Being first alphabetically and being just one of the eight listed in the United States has its advantages I suppose.

My guess, given the source, is that it will be high-end visitors who end up staying in Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, or even further south in Lake George if they decide to come to the area at all and most won't end up on the trails even though the High Peaks are mentioned.

• FlyFishingandBeer
      FlyFishingandBeer commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually made myself groan a little after I posted that response, but left it up because why not.

I suspect you're right about "high end" visitors. Very likely anyone reading that source for travel advice who ends up in the ADK will very likely stay at or near the lodging mentioned in the blurb.
Working...
X