No announcement yet.

Seward in "Lincoln"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What could they reenact in Canada that would help Trail Boss get in on the action and experience it first hand?

King William's War?

Queen Anne's War?

King George's War?

Now, who is gonna be Louis de Buade de Frontenac? Luckhurst?

"Non, je n'ai point de réponse à faire à votre général que par la bouche de mes canons et de mes fusils!"
    Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Thanks Scatterbone. I agree that the participants of a reenacted historical event are likely to come away with a deeper understanding of the event and greater empathy for the original "actors". However, to my mind, there is something macabre about staging a mock battle with fake ordnance and pretend deaths. The real deal is merciless, brutal, and extinguishes lives.

I don't need to see reenactments of Vimy Ridge, Dieppe, and Juno Beach to appreciate the sacrifices made by Canadians. Naturally, I only speak for myself; Canadians also reenact battles including those of the American Revolution (British side, obviously) and the War of 1812 (the USA's first war of expansion). Everyone needs a "hobby".
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post

Now, who is gonna be Louis de Buade de Frontenac? Luckhurst?

"Non, je n'ai point de réponse à faire à votre général que par la bouche de mes canons et de mes fusils!"
        I think Yvon or Nangaparbat may have the appropriate family roots to play the part. I'll bet they can trace their family trees back to the first guys who stepped off the ship and winked at one of the Filles du Roi.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Damn. For a few seconds there I thought were were going to be producing the colonial reenactment film short entitled "Taras, get your gun".

Freekin' Bummer Dood!!!

*** Filles du Roi, was also the name of a good restaurant that used to be located in the old city. Dunno if you ever got to go there when it was around, but it was damn good.
          Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
            Thanks Scatterbone. I agree that the participants of a reenacted historical event are likely to come away with a deeper understanding of the event and greater empathy for the original "actors". However, to my mind, there is something macabre about staging a mock battle with fake ordnance and pretend deaths. The real deal is merciless, brutal, and extinguishes lives.

I don't need to see reenactments of Vimy Ridge, Dieppe, and Juno Beach to appreciate the sacrifices made by Canadians. Naturally, I only speak for myself; Canadians also reenact battles including those of the American Revolution (British side, obviously) and the War of 1812 (the USA's first war of expansion). Everyone needs a "hobby".
            There are arguments to the necessity/benefits of any hobby or activity. As far as macabre depictions are concerned, if your going to tell the story of a time, you need to tell the whole story. By the way I met some pretty rowdy Canadian Civil War reenactors in my day.
            ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
            "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Until very recently, the Canadian title would've been "Taras, get your registered gun".

(Canadian gun registry was recently abolished.)
              Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by ScAtTeRbOnE View Post
                By the way I met some pretty rowdy Canadian Civil War reenactors in my day.
                Rose-colored glasses must be standard-issue at these events. I imagine a minimum of one week's Civil War-era food, sleeping in the mud, and seeing your buddy butchered by lead balls the size of marbles would probably dampen the rowdiness.
                Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                  Rose-colored glasses must be standard-issue at these events. I imagine a minimum of one week's Civil War-era food, sleeping in the mud, and seeing your buddy butchered by lead balls the size of marbles would probably dampen the rowdiness.
                  Just to clear my statement up. Some soldiers were known to be rowdy even in the war, some used it as a coping mechanism or to fight the boredom of endless days of monotonous camp life. That being said the irresponsible behavior of these few rowdy reenactors (only after hours revelry/drinking) is not indicative of the larger community of reenactors. Many groups are well organized respectful organizations devoted to safety and authenticity. They have strict rules about conduct as it is a family hobby. From all the research done by most reenactors they are acutely aware of the horrific conditions/experiences that occurred during that war and are not there to ignore or make light of that.
                  ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
                  "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

Originally posted by Charlene
                    I am always rather stunned, what with America's military history, that there aren't more places named for your various Gods and Generals. Even Canada has an Eisenhower Mountain, if you can believe it.
                    So does New Hampshire. Mt. Eisenhower (formerly Mt. Pleasant) has the distinction of being the only peak in the Presidential Range which physically resembles the president it's named after.

And speaking of generals in the Presidential Range, I believe there's also a Mt. Washington.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 104/115 (67/67, 35/46, 2/2); Cat35: 17/39; WNH4K: 25/48; NEFF: 30/50
                    LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
                    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
                    - Lewis Carroll

Comment

Working...
                    X