RIP Hostess Twinkies and Devil Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlene
    Bummer. What's the obesity rate in the good old U S of A now? 78% or some such number? Guess this is going to be another cliff to go over... let's hope Frito Lay goes t*ts up soon...
    Please understand that the twinkee and all the other crap will live on, it will just be baked by another corporation. The tragedy is to the families that will lose their homes and their dignity. How can anyone wish that on thousands of more families?
    "Where I'm goin', I don't know
    But I'll be headed out in sun, rain, hail or snow"
    -The Saw Doctors

Comment

Imho

this is a temporary negotiating tactic...the public will scream, both against the poor union employees and the greedy managements. They'll re-open discussion, and keep some of the plants open, the employees will lose some pay or benefits, and it'll go on. Same thing happened at Caterpillar in Pennsylvania in the 90's...

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
      Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

I feel the same for the hostess bakers as I do about people in the asbestos industry in Quebec that is shutting down. Yes, it's a personal and financial setback for the worker, but it is sad that they had no choice or options but to participate in the manufacture of a product that is poison.
        OK, OK, Char. Take a deep breath. Ahhhhh. Relax.......

Hostess cakes and asbestos are not quite the same thing. I think you can survive quite a long time on nothing but Hostess cakes, and I am sure folks with certain genetic makeups could do it for an entire lifetime with little ill effect, while others would blimp out and drop off of heart failure in several years from doing so. Try that with asbestos. So, not really the same kind of poison are they, though I did sort of enjoy your little comparison there.

Also good thing to hear Quebec is joining the late 1970's and phasing out asbestos manufacture.

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
        this is a temporary negotiating tactic...the public will scream, both against the poor union employees and the greedy managements. They'll re-open discussion, and keep some of the plants open, the employees will lose some pay or benefits, and it'll go on. Same thing happened at Caterpillar in Pennsylvania in the 90's...

No, you are probably right. Somebody is going to buy those plants and equipment and recipies. Probably at firesale pricing, and will make those products again, probably under the same names but with a different parent company. It will be interesting to see who exactly steps up to the plate and bids.
        Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
          Fixed it for ya...
          Thanks for the suggestion but I really did mean "need". Perhaps I should have said "blissful" instead of "sheltered".
          -The Saw Doctors

Comment

Where did I say that I did?
            "let's hope Frito Lay goes t*ts up soon..."

I took this statement to mean "go out of business". Sorry if I misunderstood.
            -The Saw Doctors

Comment

I hope that you are correct but that's just not my experience.
              -The Saw Doctors

Comment

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ustry/cJz0ngJR

Life is a short, warm moment
                And death is a long cold rest.
                You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
                Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
                -Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by RockON View Post
                  I hope that you are correct but that's just not my experience.
                  I'll go on record and say that I bet 60-75% of those employees will remain employed - perhaps under a different employer and contract, but essentially in the same jobs in the same buildings. And Walmart will keep selling crap food to fat-arsed Americans, and most will live happily ever after.
                  Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Comment

Cat wasn't bankrupt.
                    "I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

I'll go on record and say that I bet 60-75% of those employees will remain employed - perhaps under a different employer and contract, but essentially in the same jobs in the same buildings. And Walmart will keep selling crap food to fat-arsed Americans, and most will live happily ever after.
                      It'll be 6-7 months before the brands get bought out. Most of them will get moved to the buyer's existing facilities. A handful of the existing places might re-open, but most are probably done for. Food process facilities are condensing faster than the business is expanding. They are all upgrading to new technology that allows them to produce much more with less space and people.
                      "I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

Glad your malamutes haven't eaten you yet. Thanks, Commish. (I guess if you can keep calling me an arctic waters fish that tastes yummy grilled, then I can call you The Commish.) You are right. What did Trail Boss call me? Bleeding heart liberal with my head on fire? Yeah, that's it. Grab a seat beside me. Would you like water or gasoline?
                        But you're right. I should back it down a bit. And will.

And no argument on Quebec, I concur completely. Alberta, however, would be pleased to sell you as much dirty oil as you'd like.

Thanks for the tuning up.
                        Nah, they haven't eaten me yet, SoloJoe stopped by this week for a hike and played with them. He managed to get away unharmed. Guess I did a crappy job training them.

Char, yes, related to the brook trout. Didn't really think about the fact I was calling you a fish. Hmmmz. Sounds cool though. Arctic Charlene could be your new forum name. You should get Neil onto that right away.

For the record, I don't mind your 'flaming liberalism' one bit. Its who you are, and telling you to act another way would be wrong. It would be like telling Rik to sit down and shut-up, or me that I should smoke less 'stuff'. To quote Gregg Allman, "Wasted Words". Don't dial it back too much, if we all started doing that it would be VFTT.

I dunno much about oil, I use wood for heat, but if I should need some I'll keep Alberta in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingCow View Post
                          It'll be 6-7 months before the brands get bought out. Most of them will get moved to the buyer's existing facilities. A handful of the existing places might re-open, but most are probably done for. Food process facilities are condensing faster than the business is expanding. They are all upgrading to new technology that allows them to produce much more with less space and people.
                          Being in the food industry I get some inside trade info sometimes. Needless to say the buzz this week is all about Hostess.

It seems there are already suitors lining up. Bimbo Bakeries went to the front of the line and is already in preliminary talks. Funny name I know, but they are the parent for a lot of brands we are all very familiar with like Sara Lee, Freihoffers, Entenmann's, Arnold, Boboli, Earthgrains, and many others. Seems like it could be a good fit.

http://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/our_brands/

Comment

Check out ebay to see the prices people are bidding on boxes of twinkies!!!
                            <
                            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

I think its part of the snack cake industry in general. Tastycake went bankrupted. Someone did step in and buy the company though.
                              Carol

Comment

You know I am really feeling that Dec. 21st can't come soon enough around here!
                                *** **************>>>

Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Working...
                                X