RIP Hostess Twinkies and Devil Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Hostess Twinkies and Devil Dogs

On a more lighthearted and fun stuff note.

For those hikers fueled by Twinkies, Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread, here is sad news:

"Hostess Brands Inc., the maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies, said it will shut down and liquidate after a strike by members of its bakery workers’ union “crippled” the company’s operations.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” Chief Executive Officer Gregory F. Rayburn said in a statement. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”

The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union went on strike Nov. 9 after a bankruptcy judge in White Plains, New York, imposed contract concessions that 92 percent of the union’s workers rejected.

Hostess closed three of its 36 plants permanently Nov. 12, blaming the strike. Hostess said it determined last night that not enough employees had returned to work to restore normal operations. The wind-down will close the remaining 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers, Hostess said."

Source, Bloomberg News

PS: No stimulation occurred while reading or posting this news.
    Smile, things could be worse.

Time to stock up. They should last forever, although according to Wikipedia, the shelf life is more like 25 days.
    ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Man, that's pretty sad. I'm not a twinkees eater, don't think I've eaten a twinkee in my entire life, but there used to be a Hostess factory just east of where I used to work in NJ and I would see their delivery trucks all the time. We would also smell their bakery all the time too and it would make all of us hungry for food, though not really twinkees...

I would miss their fruit pies though, I used to eat one every now and then..

Jay
      Last edited by Jay H; 11-16-2012, 09:07 AM.

Life is a short, warm moment
      And death is a long cold rest.
      You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
      Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
      -Pink Floyd

Comment

Zombie Land -Where's my Twinkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81VGWQip4k
        ADK 46/46 20W
        Catskills 39/39 27W
        NE115 103/115

Comment

Originally posted by SendHelp View Post
          On a more lighthearted and fun stuff note.

"Hostess Brands Inc., the maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies, said it will shut down and liquidate after a strike by members of its bakery workers’ union “crippled” the company’s operations.
          Lighthearted unless it begins a political debate about labor unions...
          Ready to join AlpineLamb's flock...

46W +1W
          AlpineAce: 46/46
          AlpineNinja: 46/46

http://adkwannabe.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Go find a Chinese Pastry shop for sort of a Chinese Swiss roll. ("Don go")

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51096998@N00/3614330127

1000xs better than a twinkie (Dem's fightin' words)...

And something that is even better ("Don Tat")

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27297445@N07/4097088353/

(no, that is not me)

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
            And death is a long cold rest.
            You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
            Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
            -Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
              What's debatable about people striking themselves out of their jobs?
              Now they can hire and reopen , i say they should redesign the twinkee to look like a mountain range....
              ADK 46-R #6750W
              CL-50 - #51
              CATSKILLS- 9/39
              NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                What's debatable about people striking themselves out of their jobs?
                There is nothing lighthearted or debatable about the loss of jobs in this economy, especially jobs like these which are not likely to be replaced. Does anyone remember Spaulding Bakeries? Same situation only 30 years earlier.
                "Where I'm goin', I don't know
                But I'll be headed out in sun, rain, hail or snow"
                -The Saw Doctors

Comment

Originally posted by vieWseeker View Post
                  Now they can hire and reopen , i say they should redesign the twinkee to look like a mountain range....
                  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. They will sell the brand names and some banks will get the money. The Twinkee will be around only the jobs will disappear. Sorry to be a dark cloud but 18,500 more unemployed is tragic.
                  -The Saw Doctors

Comment

Figures. They begin legalizing marijuana and stop making Twinkies

Comment

Being in my field of employment, I know a dozen employees of Hostess Brands, and they're ALL out of a job. All of them with decades of service, good paying jobs. And , all of this through no fault of their own, mismanagement by the corporate higher-ups. It's okay to make light of the Twinkie, but the bigger issue is that thousands of people lost their jobs, and will have trouble feeding their families and paying their bills. Please keep that in mind!
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

The loss of one's livelihood is a very sad thing.
                        I wish the the Hostess factory workers and their families only the best in finding new jobs to support themselves.
                        In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks
                        John Muir
                        My Flickr Hiking Pics
                        Catskill 3500 33/39

Comment

I picked up the last orange cupcakes on the shelf. I haven't had one in years. It tastes fantastic.
                          "I saw a squirrel!" - GIR

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                            Can't they just hunt for their food?
                            Some will have to and then be criticized for "justifying their hobby" by those sheltered enough to think people in this country don't need to hunt to feed their families.
                            -The Saw Doctors

Comment

There's still Little Debbie....

http://littledebbie.com/products/cakes_brownies.asp
                              Firetowers - 29/29
                              46ers - 4/46

Comment

Working...
                              X