Young Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Bucks

No, not a comment about the presidential debate the other night (and they aren't young anyway, even if the testosterone was flowing freely).

Living in Westchester one sees deer all the time, since there is no hunting, so it's not a big deal. But this morning in the woods I saw two young bucks with fairly short single point antlers (about 5 inches maybe) entwined with each other. I've seen the nature shows where elks and other breeds really go at it, but these guys were pretty gentle. Kind of interlocked like wrestlers do turning around slowly, sometimes stepping apart, but coming back together again cautiously, not aggressively as one would expect this time of the year. They also didn't look like they were rubbing, which I've seen the remants of on tree trunks. Any explanation as to what exactly was going on? They didn't seem like they were playing....just silent, slow and methodical but completely focused on each other. Pretty amazing to watch actually as I was only 15 feet away or so.
    Last edited by Maria; 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM.

Originally posted by Maria View Post
    Living in Westchester one sees deer all the time, since there is no hunting, so it's not a big deal.
    Bow hunting is allowed in Westchester, according to this DEC web page, 10/1 - 12/31.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
      Bow hunting is allowed in Westchester, according to this DEC web page, 10/1 - 12/31.
      im going there then....

yes they where sparring, aka showing there muscles like alan said... its rare to see unless you spend alot of time in woods or have an over amount of males...only the strong survive and dominant male spreads his seed,,,

its a great wonder to sit and view, younger ones dont go at it hard, but when they get bigger, if they get bigger and not on a dinner plate, its a full blown fight with another big Buck... To bad no video or pics..:(
      ADK 46-R #6750W
      CL-50 - #51
      CATSKILLS- 9/39
      NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

C'mon Maria, haven't you ever seen Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer???????? It's all in the show when Rudolph goes to visit all the other reindeer (with his nose covered with mud) and then suddenly the mud falls off and all the other reindeer start making fun of him. (except for Clarice who thinks it's cute).

You need to watch more TV.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
        And death is a long cold rest.
        You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
        Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
        -Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
          Not that I plan on going hunting, but how do you figure out where it's allowed in each county on that website? I'm in southern Westchester and I haven't seen any signs anywhere in my meanderings, so it must be northern Westchester somewhere. More curious than anything.

Rob, yeah it was pretty wild to watch. I tried to take a photo right before I had to leave, but it's all blurry and they noticed me immediately after that.

Jay....not everyone has all the Xmas shows memorized by this point! Remember Xmas is when I make the bucks (haha) singing wise.

Comment

Not that I plan on going hunting, but how do you figure out where it's allowed in each county on that website? I'm in southern Westchester and I haven't seen any signs anywhere in my meanderings, so it must be northern Westchester somewhere. More curious than anything.

Rob, yeah it was pretty wild to watch. I tried to take a photo right before I had to leave, but it's all blurry and they noticed me immediately after that.

Jay....not everyone has all the Xmas shows memorized by this point! Remember Xmas is when I make the bucks (haha) singing wise.
            maria, you can all see Young Bucks sparring around 12:00am in most bars.... Just sayin...
            ADK 46-R #6750W
            CL-50 - #51
            CATSKILLS- 9/39
            NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

The entire county is marked as bow hunting. But obviously you can not shoot a deer in your neighbor's front yard, there are still restrictions around houses, etc. I'm not the hunter in the family, maybe Laurie or someone else could specify the exact limits!
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Working...
              X