Another Season ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Season ends

Another hiking season of the Adirondacks has come to an end. Unfortunately, my goals for this season fell short. Illness and car trouble forced me to only complete half of the hiking goals I had set for this year. While, I failed to accomplish my planned hikes, I did succeed in taking two High Peaks: Big Slide and Algonquin. I managed to hike the smaller, but highly popular peak, Mount Jo.

Since, I have begun hiking the 46 High Peaks, my health has bounced up and down. There were days when I felt like I could climb Mount Everest, and there were days I felt I could not take another step without going down. One hike, Big Slide, I had to will myself to the summit. Algonquin drained me before I could gather my strength for Iroquois. Time became my enemy as the clock said it would be too late to go over. We all know that time is the enemy, unless, you have no concern about the dark.

Saddleback was the worst hike this year as a massive headache kept getting worse as we went. I reluctantly had to turn back and let my hiking partner go on alone, which bothered me, and still does. I have never let a partner alone and this was the first time. Lesson learned: when not feeling 100% call off the trip. Better to be disappointed that way then worry whether my buddy is safe because I dropped out.

Such are the experiences of hiking.

August proved to be the death blow as my car broke down a couple of times, forcing me to scrub one planned hike of either Dix or Colden. Another break down has forced me to cancel October and a planned hike of some Southern Peaks with ADKFrenchLouie.

Winter comes early for me...

Now, I will walk around the city and the treadmil to keep in shape; read the posts of the winter hikers. You snowbirds kill me as you trek through those high winds and freeze.

As next Summer approaches, I will set my new goals.
    Saddleback is the primary objective with Iroquois second, then who knows after that. I expect to be much leaner than I was this year and in better shape. I have to be healthier than I was this year. It's been a shaky three years since I started this.

The Adirondacks are my second home and to be away until next Summer will ache. I miss every day I am not there. My Great Sacandaga Lake is my therapy, while my High Peaks are my medicine. I can't put into words like some can how these mountains light a spark in me and make me feel one with nature.

I thank all of those who hiked with me: Northbay, Jack, Ed, dave. It was great to meet some of you when I hiked to Mt. Jo. I met more of the forum members on that hike then in any day so far. Thanks to Terri and Dave of Tmax and Topo's Hostel(A Really Great Place To Stay)for making me feel welcome and at home. Thanks to Doreen of the Flip Inn down in Northville. If any of you are in the area, a stay there is very nice and comfortable. Head over to the Kitchenette in Northville for a damned good breakfast from Brenda, the owner.

There is always a chance I may slip up for a winter weekend. I've done it before. If I do, I'd really like to have breakfast in Lake Placid with some of you. I'll post if I do plan a trip up.

Good luck to all of you Winter folk on your hikes. Stay safe. Congrats to all of the new 46r's. Now, move on to the next series of peaks....
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Man, this is a touching post. I hope you get through your off-season. Definitely try and get up there for weekend visit.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Comment

Hey Gerard, My hikes with you were my pleasure and a lot of fun for sure. There are not many hikers who can say they were only 200 feet from the Blue Mountain fire tower when it was hit with a lightning bolt. Or the overhead lighting bursts reminiscent of Bastogne. Or standing on the summit of Algonquin with a hundred foot view and thirty mile an hour winds, knowing you had just climbed an Adirondack Biggie. Or willing yourself up those last three hundred verticle feet to Big Slide's summit and knowing you did it solo. Someday all of these fortysix will be checked off on your High Peak list and you will realize that these are just mountains and the real summit was the journey to each. All of us who have spent a lot of our lives on the trails of the High Peaks ,have seen those folks who arrive in sneakers and a 20oz bottle of water with the intent to climb a mountain. They do not appreciate the mountain but just climb it to be able to tell their friends back home that they climbed a high peak. We are the ones who come along after them and pick up that discarded water bottle, their discarded lunch wrappings on the summit and cover over their illegal fire pits and their toilet paper trails and look forward to meeting someone who shows appreciation for these beautiful mountains and treats them with respect, You are for sure one of those latter ones who love these mountains and that is why all of us that have had a chance to hike with you are the lucky ones. We are all looking forward to those future high peak climbs with you, no matter what year they are done in. so keep the training going and before you know it you will be standing on top of the 46th.
      46-R (W) - By Da Holy Feesh

Comment

Good Luck on your training this winter! The better shape you can get in the more you can enjoy your time out there climbing. Put up a poster of the High Peaks in front of the treadmill to motivate you! Keep up the determination, your an inspiration! Whatever you accomplish in the coming seasons, always remember to enjoy yourself out there. I'll be looking forward to your trip reports in the future!
        ADK 46/46 4W CATS 39/39 8W ADK100 63/102 VT35 26/29 FT's 25/29 VT FT's 9/15

ScAtTeRbOnE's Adventures

sigpic
        "We are now in the mountains and they are in us, kindling enthusiasm, making every nerve quiver, filling every pore and cell of us. Our flesh and bone tabernacle seems transparent as glass to the beauty about us, as if truly an inseparable part of it, thrilling with the air and trees, streams and rocks, in the waves of the sun, a part of all nature, neither old nor young, sick nor well, but immortal." John Muir from My First Summer in The Sierra

Comment

We're all rooting for you to succeed, Gerard! I wish you the best of luck!
          Limped thru the Northeast 115...

Comment

Hi Gerard, There is no end to the hiking season. It goes on and on. The best way to get in shape for hiking is to hike. I hike a lot with a hiker who does not drive. She takes a bus from NYC and gets to where ever she wants to hike. Hiking right now is great, no bugs, less people and the leaves are falling so you get better views. Good luck with the rest of your hikes. Mike D.

Comment

Thought about taking a bus up. I have been looking at schedules, so I wont rule it out. Just when you have a car you get lazy.

Comment

If you do take a bus in October, give me a shout and I can pick you up in Schenectady and run you up to the Sacandaga and drop you back in Schenectady when time to head home. For the High Peaks maybe the driver will drop you off at the Hostel and TMax can get you a ride to LP for the return trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK French Louie View Post
                  If you do take a bus in October, give me a shout and I can pick you up in Schenectady and run you up to the Sacandaga and drop you back in Schenectady when time to head home. For the High Peaks maybe the driver will drop you off at the Hostel and TMax can get you a ride to LP for the return trip.
                  That's very kind of you, Ed. I can always rebook the trip. I'd hate to have you drive like that. I'll look over my budget and see what may come of it. I would like to hit another Southern Peak with you.

Comment

No problem for me, bus station is only 20 miles, 30 minutes from my place and the Flip is just a hop,skip and a jump.

Comment

Hey, Gerard. Hadn't been on the site in months, came here to see how your season went. Your story is a good one, and I root for you. So ... sorry to hear the season wasn't everything you wanted. But, you're two peaks closer, and you've learned what you learned when you weren't checking more boxes off the list. We have to earn them all, but some come harder than others, as you know. Good luck w/ revenge missions next year.
                      Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

Originally posted by mirabela View Post
                        Hey, Gerard. Hadn't been on the site in months, came here to see how your season went. Your story is a good one, and I root for you. So ... sorry to hear the season wasn't everything you wanted. But, you're two peaks closer, and you've learned what you learned when you weren't checking more boxes off the list. We have to earn them all, but some come harder than others, as you know. Good luck w/ revenge missions next year.
                        Thank you. I'll retake Saddle Back and Iroquois.

Comment

Hey Gerard, I'm rooting for you too!! Keep training hard...the peaks are a great motivator. I'm older than you, asthmatic, and not exactly skinny. If I can do it, anyone can!! The journey is so worth it, and changes you forever. Hope you are dry and safe where you are.

Best Wishes,

Teresa

Comment

Working...
                          X