Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Favorite Toy in My Toybox: Karhu Army Skis + Fritschi AT Bindings = Permagrin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Favorite Toy in My Toybox: Karhu Army Skis + Fritschi AT Bindings = Permagrin

I've been tinkering around with various ski setups put together with used or otherwise cheaply-gotten equipment, ranging from nnn-BC touring to heavy tele stuff ... but this rig is just top-notch.

190 cm x 87/71/78 mm white metal-edged cambered waxable Karhu army skis (new on ebay, $50 with shipping)

~ 1982 era Fritschi FT88 releasable AT binding, swiss army surplus, also from ebay -- $40 or so, shipped

Did my own mounts & adjusted them to my double Koflachs ...

I took these out for their inaugural run this afternoon and skied about four miles of steeply hilly local trails -- stuff that gets gone over by an XC groomer about every three weeks but right now is icy nasty hardpack.

They glide a little clumsily compared to real touring equipment ... and the turns are a little wiggly compared to bomber alpine or tele equipment ... but they can go up, down, and sideways, no skins needed, and I did it all in my double mountaineering boots (hello, backcountry switch to snowshoes, crampons, etc.) and when it comes down to it I was stitching together decent parallel turns, totally in control, down a 7-foot-wide pipeline of boilerplate when I locked down the heels. And the whole setup cost me 90 bucks.

Winter is looking really good ...
    Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Do you have pictures? Sounds like a sweet setup.
    "Omni Quando Flunkus Moritati"-
    If all else fails, play dead
    ADK 46/46 #6680

Comment

Pics

A little heavy, a little primitive ... if you're coming at things from a skier's angle, you'll just shake your head, but as a hiker this expands my possibilities in all sorts of interesting ways.

- Photobug65

Comment

Hey, it looks way lighter than my setup! Plus the fact that you can put mountaineering boots in there makes all the difference.
        "Omni Quando Flunkus Moritati"-
        If all else fails, play dead
        ADK 46/46 #6680

Comment

Thought I'd give this a bump, since someone might want to build a cheap bc ski setup this winter. I got out about thirty days last year; tomorrow will my my sixth time out this season. These things have done pretty well for me.

I should point out, as much as we knock skiing in mountaineering boots as "survival skiing," I spent a day on these skiing lift-served runs at Stowe last weekend, and had a hell of a good time. Granted, I'd have had more solid control with less effort on proper alpine gear with a shaped ski and a rigid boot, but I skied fairly aggressively all day long and they worked fine. I'm forced to be super attentive to my balance, from my toes right through to my core muscles, and on the whole they probably make me a better skier.

Anyway, after a couple hundred miles and probably 35,000' vertical I'm still glad I put this setup together. The skis are still selling on ebay for $50 shipped. The bindings are not as easy to come by as last year, but you can still find them.

Good times, people.

Think snow!

- Photobug65

Comment

Cool. Thx for the bump. This is giving me ideas. Scha-wing!
            ---------------
            http://QuixoticJedi.com
            \m/(>.<)\m/ Peakbagger.com Page

35R #1819/733W
            CHH: 46/102
            Grid: 254/420 (20/35 for July)
            ADK: 25/46

Originally posted by Kahlil Gibran
            Sayings remain meaningless until they are embodied in habits.

Comment

Annual bump. Got another 35+ days out of these last year. I skied Mansfield a whole bunch of times, Moosilauke once, the Seymour approach, Bolton-to-Trapps in VT, and a whole lot of other stuff. Still cheap, still effective.

- Photobug65

Comment

Can you see Mansfield from your place? I can from mine, and it looks almost ski-able today!
                “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela

Comment

I've got a few things in the way between here and Mansfield, but I don't have to go far.

I'm not real big on early season rock skiing, I can wait a little longer, but god bless them that get after it. Going through Franconia Notch last Sunday morning, the front slopes on Cannon were all tracked out -- looked like six inches of glop over hay stubble, but it had already seen plenty of traffic!

- Photobug65

Comment

Originally posted by mirabela View Post
                    I've got a few things in the way between here and Mansfield, but I don't have to go far.

I'm not real big on early season rock skiing, I can wait a little longer, but god bless them that get after it. Going through Franconia Notch last Sunday morning, the front slopes on Cannon were all tracked out -- looked like six inches of glop over hay stubble, but it had already seen plenty of traffic!
                    I am with you on that one; no need to junk any of my equipment. Was Cannon open? I had a few friends ride at Killington last week when we got dumped on.
                    “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela

Comment

No, I think what we saw on Cannon was all about skinners and hikers. I know some folks who made a pilgrimage to Mt. Snow after that 10/28 dump. Nothing like fresh cement over stumps, is there ...

- Photobug65

Comment

Catamount Oct 30 shhhh!
                        Last edited by Mike S; 03-31-2012, 09:10 AM.
                        "Going fast doesn't diminish the experience for some. It often seems it is only those that choose to go slow that think that it does."

-Rik

Comment

Yay!! Bring it on!!!

- Photobug65

Comment

Working...
                          X