46er question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46er question

Are the trip reports you send in to become a 46er public from the office of the historian? If so, how would you go about getting a copy of someones reports? I work with a woman who was married to Robert Pakish, adk 46er 1147, and he has passed away--she is very interested in hearing about his hiking, and if I could get pictures of him it would be even better. The whole topic of hiking came up and she mentioned that she had hiked Mt marcy with her husband and that he was a 46er. I told her about my little bit of hiking and she literally beamed with all kinds of info. They were from Caudenouy(spelled wrong I'm sure), and he hiked all 46 with a boy scout troop that he led. She is in her golden years, and this would be an incredible gift for her. He finished on Whiteface in 1972, and her stories about his hiking are incredible--
    set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Short Answer - yes. They go to the State Museum in Albany. I have a friend who has gotten access. You do not need the author's permission to read them.

Edit: removed bad info.
    Last edited by TFR; 10-14-2009, 06:42 AM.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
      Short Answer - yes. They go to the State Museum in Albany. I have a friend who has gotten access. You do not need the author's permission to read them.

Let me know if you need details, or contact Tony Goodwin, 46R historian, on this board as well.
      Tony Solomon, see address on the 46er website.

Comment

a very nice gift you will be giving to there family Doug,..
        ADK 46-R #6750W
        CL-50 - #51
        CATSKILLS- 9/39
        NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
          Tony Solomon, see address on the 46er website.
          Oops!
          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
          Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
          Past President Catskill 3500 Club
          CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Tony sends the letters of finishers to the Albany State Library where they are archived and Grace did the same. The records are not left in the Office of the Historian. You would need to contact the Albany State Library for these records and not Tony.

New York State Library
            Cultural Education Center
            Empire State Plaza
            Albany, NY 12230

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/msscfa/sc19467.htm

Not sure if you can still mail a request or you may need to be in person to get the records. When I requested all my records from them over ten years ago, you could do a written request but times may have changed.
            In this case, if you live near the Albany area or know anyone near by, they may get the records for you. Yes, the records are Public Knowledge and Research.
            Last edited by Skyclimber; 10-14-2009, 07:51 AM.
            It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Doug, I just called the Manuscript Dept. of the Library 518-474-6282 and spoke with a lady named Chris Beauregard. You can make the phone call to order files. {I've been meaning for years to get both of my girls records} She will call me back later this afternoon or tomorrow, with the fee charge. She is thinking it is $10 dollars for the first 10 pages and then the fee differs for the following pages.
              Hope this helps.
              You will need person's name and climbing number when calling and hopefully year of finish.
              It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Working...
              X