Politics and Covid and the Adirondacks and Neil and this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics and Covid and the Adirondacks and Neil and this site

I regret mentioning the president in one of these Covid threads. I am concerned there will be hard feelings between members on the forum. I am going to remove my comments. I think we are getting a little out of hand with our statements about the virus.

I would rather argue about the best way to hike Dial and Nipple Top (It's clockwise by the way) then why the President is doing what he is or not doing.

I am concerned that Neil has not posted in a while. I am concerned that he will return and we will be at each other's throats arguing about God knows what. We owe it to him to use the forum in a constructive way.

I think we if we can all agree that people should be hiking close to home and not visiting the Adirondack high peaks at this time. I think we should leave it at that.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Neil's around, I looked. Seems to be around. Are we all agreeing on not visiting the high peaks? How do you know what the people are thinking? I would be concerned if I were me. Its ok to hike close to home? Not only about the interactions, but what do you do if you find a tick latched onto you? You will be pushed into the vegetation to keep social distancing. Perhaps find a bullseye rash. Hiking, even close to home, is not especially cool. Not in this state, not now, if you can help it (sounds silly to say, doesn't it, if you can help it). Want vs. need. I know we have to keep sanity, but... We always have to look at cause and effect.
    Last edited by CatskillKev; 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• moosebeware
      moosebeware commented
      Editing a comment
      I went bushwhacking yesterday. Ticks don't like me very much. I've never found one in the Adirondacks and I self-check every time. I even check after I've been outside in my yard. My in-laws backyard is a different story; theirs is the only place I've ever acquired not one, but three on a single trip. I've stayed out of there since.

I've hiked 3x this week north of my home in Laval (suburb of Mtl.) Parked at the end of a lonely dirt road and bushwhacked, alone or with my wife. Back in the car and head home. We get gas near our house so don't get out of the vehicle between home and the whack. A friend of ours wants to go with me so we will drive in separate cars. It's about 50 miles away.
    The snow pack is about 2 feet deep and I've been out in temps in the 40's so have been using my 36'' shoes. I've only seen red squirrels and ruffed grouse but also these tracks: wolf, deer, otter and am guessing fox.

I suspect the world is watching very closely what will happen in the US. Speculation at its most extreme suggests a breakdown of law and order. Makes me think (just a little bit) of The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Up here in Quebec the govt. is requesting that people report any non-compliance with social isolation efforts that they observe. The police are supposedly handing out tickets.

The collapse of oil prices is not getting as much attention as it normally would but combined with Covid-19 it could well might become the next juggernaut.

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, 36 inch snowshoeing. Wolf and otter are not your typical tracks down here...

Glad to know you are ok!

Comment

I dream of 2ft of snow and putting on any snowshoe. I only have to wait another 8mos or more. I dislike spring dampness, rain, mud and grayness. Nice to hear from you Neil. I miss your adventures.

Comment

Adirondack snow shoes should double as a head net!

Comment

This long, uncertain time provides a good opportunity to reflect on the impact of what we choose to post.
          How will sharing our expression of information, or anxiety, or contempt, or optimism, or anything else, help or hurt?

In the midst of inevitable dilemmas, crises, and absence of certainty, the medical practice, ethics bodies and many other organizations use the guiding principle of "Primum non nocere", or in English "First, do no harm".

Seems a worthwhile principle for each of us to consider as we contribute to our various communities.

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
            Charlene 2.0 commented
            Editing a comment
            “First, do no harm.”
            Applies to hikers and everyone else. Stay home.
            If you don’t, you should be called on it.
            People are dying. If your hiking trip is more important than that, and you’re shrugging off this crisis and posting photos on FB and using the excuse that “ my mental health depends on hiking”, then you’re a degenerate. You SHOULD be called out for your stupid and selfish behaviour.

I miss hiking, but I’m sure those that are dying miss living more.
            No excuses.
            A little shame is not a bad thing, IMHO.

I was thinking about hiking Dial and Nippletop once everything is back to normal. I was debating which way to go so do I trust Bunchberry that clockwise is the best? He seems to have a good knowledge of the high peaks.

Comment

Finally something to good to debate about!

Clockwise is best because you climb gradually and then after doing Nippletop you go down into Elk Pass. This is a steep drop and if you don't like steep drops you make like going counter clockwise. But another factor is water. Clockwise gets you to a stream at the end of the day and you can filter some water which I did. Also if you are feeling your oats and have the time you can go over to Indian Head.

I could see if you have bad knees then counter clockwise could be better. Also some people feel that you get to hike with your face toward the views in Keene Valley. But there is no water up there so bring enough.

Comment

Yeah i will probably do it clockwise, I prefer a gradual climb though i prefer going up steep sections but I should be fine

Comment

• moosebeware
                moosebeware commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done this trip in both directions and definitely prefer up Elk Pass. That way, you are walking back to your car for the rest of the day.

Essex county is getting seriously strict

https://www.co.essex.ny.us/wp/wp-con...Violations.pdf

"Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

• tcd
                tcd commented
                Editing a comment
                Certainly seems like going solo is OK.

Wonder about hiking with the other person you live with. We were hiking the other day as a couple. We saw zero other people, and obviously if one of us was going to transfer a virus to the other it would already have happened long ago. But technically, we represented a "group of any size."

Obviously the County cannot be expected to explain how their policy applies in every specific case. I think common sense should fill in the blanks.

• Charlene 2.0
                Charlene 2.0 commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a moment too soon. Would’ve been better two weeks ago. But good move!

• Fat Man Hiking
                Fat Man Hiking commented
                Editing a comment
                Group bicycle rides and motorcycle rides are forbidden? This is a joke, right? Those are just two of the things on my long list of favorite things though mostly I do them alone. Seems a bit over-reaching and paranoid to me. But what do I know? Cynicism is my default setting.

Common sense and government? I can't picture it.

Comment

I try not to express much of what’s going on, emotion wise. On FB, the danger of such an excursion can lead to a tornado of negative retorts that keeps me from ever expressing a thought for fear of being destroyed in violent winds of vocabulary that would obliterate any dictionary. My walks are restricted to just to the parachute jump and back. I’ve avoided Prospect Park as it’s become a bastion of people all crammed together. A regularly buffet for COVID to feast upon. I’m a natural loner, so not being around people doesn’t bother me. I feel what all of you feel. The penned in feeling. As the weather warms in Spring, I jump in my car on weekends and head to Harriman State Park for my more rigorous hikes. Now, there’s a unseen fence, keeping me from getting to my normal territories. Right now, a local hike is being scrunched down to walking around my block several dozen times. I stare at pictures on the FB hiking forums of old pictures of various places and wish I could get out there. Those pictures help to let me choose my next destination, sometimes. The dangers of such, “air letting” , is someone always replies, “we are all going through the same thing, Gerard, you’re no different.” Then, it’s off to the races and I have to delete my post and retreat to the world of one.

Fortunately, I can fall back onto this forum. A place where you can express a thought, or blurt out some stress, without being strafed from an enemy fighter in those war movies. Thanks, the chance to blow off some steam. I’ll see many of you on the trails when this ends.
                Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• Charlene 2.0
                  Charlene 2.0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dunno, Kev, it’s kinda fun. You can mouth all kinds of stuff and no one can tell.

• Charlene 2.0
                  Charlene 2.0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditch the FB pages, because, yes, there are a lot of idiots, posers, princesses and primadonnas to be found there. Who needs the stupids in their life? Cull your friends list down to people you actually know, respect and like. Separate the wheat from the chaff. Wanna meaningless argument with a moron? That’s what Reddit exists for...
                  Works for me...

• FlyFishingandBeer
                  FlyFishingandBeer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Charlene 2.0 Truer words have never been spoken.

Not easy. Especially, when it’s the same mask over and over agin. I got lucky and got my hands on an N95 mask. Will test it our later on my walk.
                Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• CatskillKev
                  CatskillKev commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like you're doing as well as can be expected. I'm glad.

• Gerard01
                  Gerard01 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m luckier than most, here. I stay to myself. Hike alone, up and down the boardwalk. Then, head quickly home. If I stop off in a store, it’s to purchase something quick, then out. Looks like we may be plateauing. The numbers at the hospital are dwindling. Unfortunately, the last group of critically ill are dying off, but over 143 have recovered. I’m looking at the end of April before we totally drop off. We could be hiking, again by June.
              Working...
              X