Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/5/2021 Bottle Slide on Gianrt

Bottle Slide from Roaring Brook Falls.
    Arrived to lot at 8 am, lot was not full and neither was the one at AMR. Just an FYI. Trails were dry and pristine to start, an easy way in. Stopped at the falls first then headed to the cairn. At 2,600 feet you will see a small cairn on the left, we followed the herd path until it stopped. It stopped at a debris slide where we navigated down toward the Roaring Brook. Following the Brook was as expected, rock hopping, climbing over trees and blowdown and meandering through some water, some are rocks slick but really everything remained dry. The bushwhack from the end of the Brook to the bottom of the Bottle had areas of thicket, rotten trees and soft ground spots. The slide has few areas that were damp and slick some with lichen/moss but it was an easy and epic climb up. Plenty of hand holds, divots and good footing. Smooth sailing until the end going to the head wall. Now here is where I think it gets hairy. Why? Well we did our research & this was NOT an easy bushwhack initially. I’d like to think Arlena & I are experienced with the sense to navigate which was not the problem, lol. No one has been there in a bit, the thicket was well THICK, you could sort of tell where people had been in the past but there was so much blowdown and growth it was difficult to decide if it was traveled. Once at the head wall it was clear herd path and was easy to follow. We followed around, decided when it was climbable and scrambled the rock to the false summit instead of staying on the path. We could see hikers on the summit from here and had an easy walk to the true summit. Overall a great slide, it’s hard to decide which is my favorite, all so beautiful. We decided to make way to RPR and got down to the col, a torrential downpour began and conditions were less than favorable. We decided to turn back, A. It was a whiteout, B. The mud began to slide on the slabs and C. We have been there numerous times so… it continued to rain until we got back to the junction, here it began to let up. On the descent the trails became filled with mud, the spots of erosion were deep holes of water causing caution for two who like to run. Yes, we went through it. We bumped into a 16 yr. old who went up Eagle Slide, he mentioned it was terrible conditions, didn’t sound like he had fun, but he also stated he was camping at Chappel Pond, the ranger told him he overstayed his visit. Three days is maximum in one site before they can fine you. News to me so maybe good info. for you. By the time we hit the 3,600/Ridge Bump the sun was shining and the trails became hardened and dry. Slabs were dry too! We decided to go to Giants Nubble. I don’t think it even rained there. From here out it was dry and again an easy. We saw very few people for a Saturday, two people on the summit. A group headed down we passed and that’s about it! Another grand day in the ADK.

Nice slide Bottle. Though never had a problem getting to the base of the headwall as the distance is very short from the end of the rock.

Our most recent climb, last fall, our problem was to decide where to scramble up the diminishing though seemingly endless headwall.

Wondering. I was on the other side of Giant last Saturday arriving via Hopkins Mt. Reading your description, though now I have doubts. But, I passed two guys in about the right spot where they might have come up the Bottle. Perhaps you two?

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 06-08-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

you go all the way to the top of the bottle? i did it for the first time this last november, and i thought it was less than a stone's weak toss from the end of the slide to the wall, and wasnt bad at all there in terms of clothe-ripping and navigation compared to a lot of other slide exits or entrances. I thought at times skirting the wall at its base was tough at times and, like HTF, also finding a comfortable route up the wall to the "solitude" summit area.

its definitely a great slide though, so much fun. i was up for another slide this saturday, getting caught in probably the same unexpected downpour that afternoon, and was surprised during the morning drive past with "so much" parking available at the Giant lots, as well as Round Pond etc.
      "...don't assume you can't do it...we all make mistakes and sometimes fail. Keep working and learning, and be committed to improving fitness, and there is no limit to what you can do." Joe Bogardus
      "I believe it is in our nature to explore, to reach out into the unknown. The only true failure would be not to explore at all." Ernest Shackleton

Comment

Originally posted by bikerhiker View Post
        you go all the way to the top of the bottle? i did it for the first time this last november, and i thought it was less than a stone's weak toss from the end of the slide to the wall, and wasnt bad at all there in terms of clothe-ripping and navigation compared to a lot of other slide exits or entrances. I thought at times skirting the wall at its base was tough at times and, like HTF, also finding a comfortable route up the wall to the "solitude" summit area.

its definitely a great slide though, so much fun. i was up for another slide this saturday, getting caught in probably the same unexpected downpour that afternoon, and was surprised during the morning drive past with "so much" parking available at the Giant lots, as well as Round Pond etc.
        I was in the downpour too on my return by way of Hopkins (that I climbed to in morning and afternoon both).
        The downpour was tempered because I was below the trees. When I finally got finished with the hike the rain was done at least for awhile.

Comment

The original herd path was obscured by that "debris slide" you noted not far from the Roaring Brook Trail. But it continues on the far side of the brook, ascending well above and away from the brook and eventually leading to a T intersection. The right branch soon descends to provide access to the Eagle and other slides. The left branch goes toward the Bottle but becomes obscure — a lack of consensus — but it's not difficult from the point where it gets obscure.

Comment

Working...
          X