New Slide on Pyramid-Gothics Redux, 2021-03-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Slide on Pyramid-Gothics Redux, 2021-03-23

Some pictures from a trip Claudia and I made to the new Slide in the Pyramid-Gothics-Armstrong cirque on March 23.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsmV21ych

That we originally climbed on 8-30-2020. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQtMC2Q

It was a perfect spring day; though we would have preferred 20F temperatures to firm up the snow. It would have better here the first week of March.

We went up the Weld trail and down the Beaver Meadow Falls trail with our side trip to downclimb then reclimb the new slide.

For downclimbing Claudia did well throughout with the Tubbs Mountaineers. My MSRs were no help downclimbing on the spring snow - I was skidding on top; so I changed to crampons and went into the woods to get around the steep icy sections. Snow was from inches to knee high. Postholed in the crampons about 25% of the time.

At the base we were right below the Rainbow slide on a very wide shorter slide parallel to the new slide.

We didn't need to retreat to the woods on the climb; though I did avoid a couple icy sections by going around.

At two places we thought we saw indications of snow ski tracks.

The exit at the top of the slide was quick and near the trail.

General snow conditions on the trail is yielding snow. Don't step off the rail or your in deeper snow. That's even though we wore snowshoes the whole time when on the trails.

There was enough snow for us to get a look at Gothics North Face. Not lots there. We could make out tracks of a meandering ascent on what snow is still available.

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-25-2021, 10:27 AM.

Awesome! I bet that's a good ski slide. One of my ice routes, the Four Rings of Saturn is in one of your photos; a multi-tier vertical climb...though now there's no actual ice on it LOL.
    Most of the traffic on Gothics N Face is to the right. We had 6 there Saturday. Two others that I don't know when left of center. There won't be much for long. Thanks for posting as always. This was nice to see this morning.
    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
      Awesome! I bet that's a good ski slide. One of my ice routes, the Four Rings of Saturn is in one of your photos; a multi-tier vertical climb...though now there's no actual ice on it LOL.
      Most of the traffic on Gothics N Face is to the right. We had 6 there Saturday. Two others that I don't know when left of center. There won't be much for long. Thanks for posting as always. This was nice to see this morning.
      Hi Mudrat nice to hear from you.

About Gothics N Face: I wondered about the west side. We couldn't see much because too far away. Claudia on the west side once.
      On skiing. I used to ski a lot but have stopped in favor of snowshoeing. I saw this as an Expert to Intermediate run. A couple of the drops check speed with a couple expert turns.

Did the new slides (this one and the new one in Armstrong Beaver Brook Cirque) ever get named?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post

Hi Mudrat nice to hear from you.

About Gothics N Face: I wondered about the west side. We couldn't see much because too far away. Claudia on the west side once.
        On skiing. I used to ski a lot but have stopped in favor of snowshoeing. I saw this as an Expert to Intermediate run. A couple of the drops check speed with a couple expert turns.

Did the new slides (this one and the new one in Armstrong Beaver Brook Cirque) ever get named?

Don
        Thanks, Don.

I head there a couple times/year to clear my head. It's lovely.

Beaver Brook did years ago...I forget what. I'm sure this did, it's seen traffic, but I don't know the name to be honest.
        May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Working...
        X