The refreshed Audobahn(aka Pentalty Box) Slide, 7/13/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The refreshed Audobahn(aka Pentalty Box) Slide, 7/13/19

First noticed this slide on Santanoni Mountain June 22 and snapped some zoom photos from Colden and Skylight Mountains then a couple days later some more zoom photos from Street Mountain. Slide climbing partner Claudia with two other frequent climbing partners (both named Chris) climbed it on July 13.

After the climb, an email inquiry to Mudrat revealed the name of slide (see title of post) that was given by members of the 'Ski to Die Club.' Funny, when I read that. On the climb I said to my partners this feels like good skiing terrain. That's because of the slope angle and abundant wide spots in the drainage below the new section. And due to the older cleaner slabs it is a pretty fun route for a long way. And we noticed a branch entering the drainage from the North. It can be made out looking closely at the picture taken from Mt Skylight. Probably another good ski trail.

The start of the new section had no particular debris field; rather, most of the debris in still on the slope. It gives the impression that this an ancient slide that intermittently gets re-vegetated (over decades), gets washed away, then re-vegetated again. And this is not the first time terrain around slides I've has made that impression to me - what seems like old and slide tracks above the Beaver Meadows trail comes to mind.

There is a pretty continuous clean rock track all the way up except where the slope angle is low and mud was left behind. I was wearing my 5-10 Access shoes that have good rubber but are more of a trail hiker and soles are a bit worn down. Except where the soles got muddy, I did fine. Fut then I gravitated to the easier ramps around the steep parts. I was carrying my Camp Fours just in case, but never took them from my pack. At the short headwall I had limited options but there was a crack that provided an easier angle of ascent followed with several feet of slab I had to climb to the vegetation. Claudia, on the other hand, was in her pretty new Guide Tennies that she keeps just for slide climbing. She climbed all the more difficult sections. Chris 1 followed her most of the time having a new pair of grippy approach shoes. Chris 2 had shoes with rubber soles weren't enough to go straight up the fall-line and like me, took the easier lines.

The exit to the path on the ridge was pretty short. 165' per the GPS and track I brought along. And not much elevation gain to the path; though, it appears like more from the zoom pictures. I had the elevation gain at almost 1,200 ft. The start at 3,365' elevation and the finish at 4560' elevation (I set my GPS to topo mode elevation, not the barometric mode). And the refreshed slide is about 2,430 ft long (calculated by geometry).

Pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmF6W8Tw

Don

I tracked you nearly the entire way, both before and on the slide. We made the same route choices. You were a lot earlier than me (I left the PA at 8:30) and had full and hot sun the entire way. I was alone and bailed left below the headwall then made my way to the summit through extremely thick and steep vegetation with cliffs.

Comment

Way to go! Looks like a fun scramble up with some really interesting features. It looked muddy, but nice none-the-less. Glad you got on it. Adam Crofoot actually gave me the name background-- Autobahn (AKA Penalty Box). I'll have to get out there sometime and have a look for myself. Neil...got a traverse for you...up Ermine, down Twin, up the new
      May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
        I tracked you nearly the entire way, both before and on the slide. We made the same route choices. You were a lot earlier than me (I left the PA at 8:30) and had full and hot sun the entire way. I was alone and bailed left below the headwall then made my way to the summit through extremely thick and steep vegetation with cliffs.
        Too bad we didn't hook up. I was thinking about you and your bushwack the 46 plans.

We always go early and the downside is we have some hours to wait for lots of fog to lift. Later in the day it was great. Since we were done with the good part by 10 am we had no other choice but to move on the Couchy and Panther.

Our exit went pretty well as once on top of the headwall we found a way to make small climbs up over cliff bands. But then we had to get there. Up the center is where there's a small dike like feature that makes a grippy ramp.

P.S. Earlier in the season I bushwhacked Phelps from the So Meadows truck trail starting just before Pelky Brook. It is a great route with lots of overlooks from large cliffs, at least 4 of them, wide open. I'd been looking there all winter and just had to go there. But maybe you've done that before.

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
          Way to go! Looks like a fun scramble up with some really interesting features. It looked muddy, but nice none-the-less. Glad you got on it. Adam Crofoot actually gave me the name background-- Autobahn (AKA Penalty Box). I'll have to get out there sometime and have a look for myself. Neil...got a traverse for you...up Ermine, down Twin, up the new
          Right. Where there isn't mud the rock is newly cleaned and grippy. The steep parts are pretty clean too. The brook below the new area has a similar topography intermittent low slope where the trees have closed in the drainage then wide open stretches where the terrain gets steeper.

Comment

Did you see the bikes at the road-BPT junction?

Comment

They were very noticeably there when I went through a little after 7, they were gone when I passed back through around 6. I did the range counterclockwise via the conventional loop coming down the direct. After grace's slide last week I have been bit hard by the bug and intrigued and itching, and after having taken pics of Ermine from Couch, just before descending the express later on i had scootched through the brush a bit on top to take some shots looking down at the slide you guys had come up.
              35er #3133
              46er

"The Kingdom of Heaven is not a place, but a state of mind."
              John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                Did you see the bikes at the road-BPT junction?
                Yes we did see the bikes....the people started when we were in the parking area. They were at Couchy when we got there and we passed on our climb out to Times Square.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerhiker View Post
                  They were very noticeably there when I went through a little after 7, they were gone when I passed back through around 6. I did the range counterclockwise via the conventional loop coming down the direct. After grace's slide last week I have been bit hard by the bug and intrigued and itching, and after having taken pics of Ermine from Couch, just before descending the express later on i had scootched through the brush a bit on top to take some shots looking down at the slide you guys had come up.
                  Did you pass the Assistant Ranger? Wondering if it's a PSAR. One of our group dropped pack at Times Square. Otherwise he wouldn't have kept up with our group. Though passing the Assistant Ranger on route to Couchy he urged him to go back and get it.

Don

Comment

The afr was on couch summit same time as me, I think he had been there some time already and was leaving shortly after me, he said he was just patrolling the range, and had been sitting way out there "just in case".I asked him what he did wrong to be way out on couch when I got to the sign and met him.
                    35er #3133
                    46er

John Burroughs

Comment

I was on couch summit around 1.If he really was just patrolling and posting i know it's not the worst spot, I was just messing with him when I asked what he did wrong to get sent there, knowing how long it would take a ranger to get in there for a call unless they were dropped in
                      35er #3133
                      46er

John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by bikerhiker View Post
                        I was on couch summit around 1.If he really was just patrolling and posting i know it's not the worst spot, I was just messing with him when I asked what he did wrong to get sent there, knowing how long it would take a ranger to get in there for a call unless they were dropped in
                        We must have crossed paths. Our group arrived at Couchy 1200 and arrived at Panther at 1320.

Comment

Had to have. I was solo, I don't remember passing a party of 4 coming up on that stretch though.
                          35er #3133
                          46er

John Burroughs

Comment

Working...
                          X