Santanoni Slide 2-16-2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santanoni Slide 2-16-2019

Our group climbed Santanoni Peak via the slide. (Claudia, Ebbinghaus, Chris (his 1st winter slide), and I). Both Ebbinghaus and I needed Santanoni for February and Claudia and Chris wanted a winter slide climb so this trip got everybody something.

There were a couple groups besides ours out yesterday. I think we were the only ones that summited Santanoni.

In the past week there was 4-8 inches new snow in the mountains. A group on the 15th broke out the road and probably to Bradley Pond LT (per register). We continued on the road to the bridge over the un-named brook taking us to a smaller drainage out of wetlands. Walking through the wetlands took us to the slide drainage.

Snow coverage is almost total. There was a base of snow pretty firm but not exceptional crust. The exceptions being a steep section not too far from the finish of our climb with exposed ice. We avoided it as best as possible to the right.

Claudia was in the lead and she would sink about 6 inches except for drifted places. The rest of us would compress the snow on the track another 6 inches or more.

We were all wearing snowshoes the whole day; though, all carried crampons. With the depth of snow crampons for the slide climb probably would have made the climbing easier, but it was cold and breezy, and gear inertia took over, so we all stayed with snowshoes. Also in the most difficult places the ice axes did a good job getting us up the steepest parts.

After the slide the bushwhack through the woods was pretty nice. Enough snow base to enable easy path of least resistance route finding. At the summit the sign is completely buried. We stopped briefly at an obvious high point and our GPS agreed this was within 50 ft of it.

We saw some tracks as we started descending the Express trail route. These vanished quickly so down the steepest part and over much of the initial plateau it was again a walk using the path of least resistance with us occasionally seeing tracks. (There'd been someone that signed the register the day before for Santanoni). Eventually we found good tracks and suspect by fresh looking appearance that another had started up the Express trail this same day but turned back. So we followed this track most of the way back to the State trail with one minor deviation.

Arriving back at the road-trail junction we saw that someone had skied our snowshoe track later that day.

Some pictures. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmyyB5r8

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 02-17-2019, 06:15 PM.

Great report Don and photos. You sure had a great group...tell Wayne I said hi and glad you got to meet Chris!
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Nide TR & pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Highonlife View Post
        Great report Don and photos. You sure had a great group...tell Wayne I said hi and glad you got to meet Chris!
        Too bad you weren't along for the trip. As you see it was mainly a snowshoe outing.

Don

Comment

Hey Don,
          Awesome route!
          I had hiked Santa via Express(sort of) the day before you. Couldn't really find the herd path, so ended up whacking most of it. Descended via express.
          If you're interested, I need Couch and Panther and would love to hike with you.

David

Comment

Originally posted by dpeters6 View Post
            Hey Don,
            Awesome route!
            I had hiked Santa via Express(sort of) the day before you. Couldn't really find the herd path, so ended up whacking most of it. Descended via express.
            If you're interested, I need Couch and Panther and would love to hike with you.

David
            Hi David, that was a pretty good climb you made. We didn't use any technology on the descent but I did keep a track log on my GPS. We would see your tracsk now and then. And you and we were pretty close to the summer path with the exception of a diversion around the Hillary Step.

I'm afraid that this hike closed out my 2nd grid activity over the Santanoni range. (Santanoni was an outlier from last winter). So I won't be coming back this winter. As it looks (by reading the register) the Santanonis are proving to be really difficult this winter.

Don

Comment

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing
              Catskills: 39/39, 35W/35W
              ADK: 46/46

Comment

That looked much more pleasant than when I slogged up that! NIce pics and looked like a great outing.
                May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post

Too bad you weren't along for the trip. As you see it was mainly a snowshoe outing.

Don

Yeah I should have know better, next time. I ended up doing Gothics via the cable, my first time doing it in the winter and it was a lot of fun too. Hope to hook up with you guys ...been way too long since I have seen you and Wayne!

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
                    That looked much more pleasant than when I slogged up that! NIce pics and looked like a great outing.
                    Mudrat, It was fun.
                    Don

Comment

Working...
                    X