X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slide goggles

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
    Howdy!
    Look to the south and adjacent to the main drainage. We climbed an actual slide (600 map feet) of rubble with a little bit of open anorthosite. Granted, it's hardly glorious, but it's a slide. It shows up better on the DEC images.
    your still wearing slide goggles still a great day out there. Have you seen the "real" slide up the spire ?
    MG

Comment

Originally posted by mastergrasshopper View Post
      your still wearing slide goggles still a great day out there. Have you seen the "real" slide up the spire ?
      MG
      It was awesome and so relaxing. Haven't been up spire yet, but i know where it is. This was low on my priority list but Krummholz and I were talking about it and I got psyched for the bushwhack. I went up this side to check out the bowl/ledges/etc. We thought it would be more dramatic than it was. Slide was coincidental and about what i expected...rubble, 15-20' wide and 600' feet long (by google earth). It reminded me of a smaller version of twin slide's southern trib, though more narrow.
      May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
        It was awesome and so relaxing. Haven't been up spire yet, but i know where it is. This was low on my priority list but Krummholz and I were talking about it and I got psyched for the bushwhack. I went up this side to check out the bowl/ledges/etc. We thought it would be more dramatic than it was. Slide was coincidental and about what i expected...rubble, 15-20' wide and 600' feet long (by google earth). It reminded me of a smaller version of twin slide's southern trib, though more narrow.
        I agree. The slide itself wasn't really part of the goal, it was more a matter of "This looks like an interesting route that doesn't seem to get much exploration. Why not check it out." The first two stages (stream and rubble slide) were actually quite pleasant with some incredible, unique perspectives on the mtns to the east, but I have to admit the upper bowl was like being beaten by soccer hooligans with belt sanders and pipes.

Comment

What an adventure! Congratulations to you both and many thanks for the TR and photos. 20+ miles and over 6500' ascent; you guys are hardcore.

I'm very intrigued by your descent into Panther Gorge. This is a little dream of mine that I hope to realize some day. That grassy stretch below the slider is prettier than I ever imagined. Can you elaborate a little more about the bushwhack off the main trail and down along the west side of the Gorge? Just follow the path of least resistance (except for cliffs) or is there a specific route you recommend?
          Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
            Can you elaborate a little more about the bushwhack off the main trail and down along the west side of the Gorge? Just follow the path of least resistance (except for cliffs) or is there a specific route you recommend?
            Thanks.
            Some prior accounts/recommendations talked of staying away from the drainage. It definitely tightens upon approach to it, at least at the top. This is completely normal for many drainage streams. I think staying out of that was also in reference to finding an ice route in the cliffs.

The first 10 minutes was quite tight. There was never any specific route...not enough traffic, but there were some openings in the trees that were more attractive than others. We navigated through them on a sw heading (more or less). We then decided to explore below the first cliffs on the right (west) which had some open ground beneath. Beyond that, we used line of sight nav toward Grand Central base and just wound our way downward through the most convenient openings until intersecting the drainage from Grand C. I recognized that right away from my last time in the area.
            May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Great report on an epic trip, Kevin!

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                Just the idea of an epic daytrip is comical to me...
                Oh good, you're awake! Jumbo shrimp? Tiny mountain? World's tallest dwarf?

Comment

Originally posted by Rik
                  Yeah, something like that. Once upon a time an epic meant being gone for years. So long your spouse considered remarrying. Now we apply the tag to daytrips which we contrive to make more difficult. Just funny is all...
                  Just sitting here drinking some awesome orange juice and doing my part for adjectival devaluation! (I got your point and had a chuckle.) Yes, it's not The Odyssey.

Comment

Working...
                  X