Nippletop Slide this Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nippletop Slide this Winter

Yo, Neil, we've kicked this around for a while in private. I'm coming out now!

Let's try to pick a mutually convenient weekend to do this. Anyone else who wants to come along is welcome.

So far, my "CAN'T DO" list is:

1/21
    1/28-29
    3/19-21
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

The only caveat with picking a w/end well in advance is that the weatherman plays with the plans of slide-climbers, mice and men. I like the idea of doing it in in Feb. or early March for longer days and hopefully good snow consolidation. I wouldn't want to have to do the topping out bit with 2 feet of fresh snow. I'm sure Grasshopper (Glen from Syracuse) from VFTT (who I hiked with yesterday and who has done many of the slides in winter) would be very keen on this one.

Comment

I'm in if this ends up happening. You looking for an overnighter or long dayhike? Since I saw Neil's summer pictures I've been itching to try this slide climb, only to be rejected by... weather conditions of course... :(

Comment

Originally posted by stoopid
        I'm in if this ends up happening. You looking for an overnighter or long dayhike? Since I saw Neil's summer pictures I've been itching to try this slide climb, only to be rejected by... weather conditions of course... :(
        I'm a dayhiker. How far is it ?
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Not too far, maybe 14 miles round trip? I'm mostly a dayhiker as well, partly because of convenience (only 2-3 hours from most trailheads) and partly because I don't get weekends off (usually Sunday and Monday). The thought of breaking trail up the slide... partly excites me but that's quickly squelched by the reality of the task :p. In other words - it's going to be a long day of heavy exertion!

I would have been in either way. This is assuming I'm free on one of those days. I'll know the week prior.

Comment

Working...
          X