No announcement yet.

Gothics north face in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well what in tarnation will they think of next? Goooolllllly, Shezam!
    https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

I'd definitely be interested in skiing True North, not sure about the NF, though, it may require more of a technical climb than I'm interested in doing.

Do most of you guys wait for the slides to corn up before you ski them? Or, is the midwinter snowpack often stable enough to ski?

I tele and have all the essential gear (piolet, crampons, beacon, probe, shovel, etc.) and some basic avy training (Level I) as well as lots of experience in the Presidential Range.

Comment

Originally posted by TEO
        I'd definitely be interested in skiing True North, not sure about the NF, though, it may require more of a technical climb than I'm interested in doing.

Do most of you guys wait for the slides to corn up before you ski them? Or, is the midwinter snowpack often stable enough to ski?

I tele and have all the essential gear (piolet, crampons, beacon, probe, shovel, etc.) and some basic avy training (Level I) as well as lots of experience in the Presidential Range.
        Mid-winter snowpack can go either way...dig a pit, etc.

But yes, Slides are a go in winter!

From what ive heard/seen in pix, the NF isnt that technical....

will keep you up to date...
        The Heart of Oak

Comment

In the fabulous photo of the N. Face, I'm assuming True North is the narrow slide to the left of the wide-open rock face. Do the regular winter routes do up the wide-open face? Or up the slides off to the right?

Cheers,
          Michael

Comment

Michael, I'm not the skier in this group, but that is the traditional method. But I'm not so sure there aren't those on this board who might try it in reverse! As for those slides to the right, Mavs brought those up on a different thread earlier. They do look very enticing, perhaps a summer expedition is in order, they could be chronicled in Neil's new book.
            That is a fantastic photo of the North Face! If you were to stand at the farthest finger of trees to the left, at the base of the face, that is where the easiest access to the Ribbon Slide (or True North) is. You can faintly make out the right-hand slide after it splits, in the photo. To stand at that point and look up at that immense piece of rock really makes one feel very tiny and insignificant
            https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by virginiapine
              In the fabulous photo of the N. Face, I'm assuming True North is the narrow slide to the left of the wide-open rock face. Do the regular winter routes do up the wide-open face? Or up the slides off to the right?

Cheers,
              Michael
              Yes. True North is the Thin slide on the left. The North Face is the big wide open crazy looking one.

The N.Face is a classic adirondack winter climb. Alot of people climb this rather than up True North...more technical/exciting. People do ski it as well....somthing i definately would be into!!!! However, the more traditional ski tour is to skin up the hiking trail to the summit of Gothics and then down true north...alot easier and way less technical.
              The Heart of Oak

Comment

That split board is cool.... I'll show my son.... maybe I'll get him into the REAL mountains that way.
                Map and compass man!

Comment

Working...
                X