Gothics north face in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gothics north face in winter?

Anyone up for this? Maybe hike as far up as is comfortable, then ski back down?
    set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

I don't know if that particular route will fit the bill but Dom and I plan on taking a technical climbing course this winter on steep snow. I was thinking that a group of 4 would be about right. Doug? Any one else?

Comment

The route up the true north face slide is DEF. doable in the winter and is quite excellent; Hillman has it right with the hike up/ski down. I think that's a great choice' I would however wait until winter is underway and there is significant snow cover.

Comment

I was figuring march, when it's filled in and the snow is stable. Neil--I'm in for the course. The mountaineer is offering courses during mountainfest or skifest, whatever it's called, and there is a bunch offered in the whites. Are you planning on bigger mountains in the future?

Comment

Not really. It's more for Dominic. His career plan right now is to become a mountain guide in Banff. By taking a course or 2 with him and doing some steep slides practicing the techie stuff it'll help keep me in touch with him over the long haul. Right now I'm waiting for a return e-mail from the Rock and River.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKben
            The route up the true north face slide is DEF. doable in the winter and is quite excellent; Hillman has it right with the hike up/ski down. I think that's a great choice' I would however wait until winter is underway and there is significant snow cover.
            Ben,

Can I post that aerial shot of "The North Face" you sent me on here? I've NEVER seen a cooler picture of it, and it'll surely make Doug wet himself in anticipation
            "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Hillman,

Already on the list! My buddy has done the NF then down True North MANY times....Ive already recruited him. Looking for march unless the winter kicks in high gear, and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AVALANCHE GEAR AND TRAINING!!!!!

Ill let you guys know when we go if anyone wants to meet up.....
              The Heart of Oak

Comment

And just what kinda gear are you *CRAZIES* using anyway? Metal edge cc skis? Tele?
                What? How can you ski that stuff.
                I struggle on the Whiteface auto road w/metal edges.
                Walk Softly

Comment

What Alpine said.

Looks cool, though.

Comment

I have AT gear. The only thing I need to but for this season is a new avy beacon. Probably order it this week. I saw the ski tracks going off the summit last march. It looked completely sick.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineSummit
                      How can you ski that stuff.
                      I know i've asked this before, and I'm not a skier, but won't you nail yourselves on those 6 ft. tall birch trees growing in the slide? I'm thinking with 3 ft. of snow, that puts them about neutering height.
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by masshysteria
                        won't you nail yourselves on those 6 ft. tall birch trees growing in the slide?
                        Those are slalom gates.

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineSummit
                          And just what kinda gear are you *CRAZIES* using anyway? Metal edge cc skis? Tele?
                          What? How can you ski that stuff.
                          I use a Split Snowboard....

For those of you who dont know what that is.....it splits into skis and you put skins on the bottom, skin up, then hook it back together and ride down.

Hooks together with these clips....bindings go on the plates.

skin up like this...

IMO, the Splitboard is the best backcountry tool invented for a snowboarder!

As far as difficulty, ive been doing this for a long time. Im sure Hillman can attest too, you just do it....with time, you just get better and do it!

The Birches, well lets not forget how much snow we get up there.....they get covered up for the most part. Otherwise, like neil said....slalom.
                          The Heart of Oak

Comment

Is that the wright peak ski trail? It looks familiar. I have tua sumos, with a fritschi daimir a.t. binding, and scarpa laser boots. I use kicker skins, which are smaller versions of full length. They work fine on most ascents. I have ski crampons also, but have never needed them yet. I cannot wait for winter. That picture of gothics is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1
                              Is that the wright peak ski trail? It looks familiar. I have tua sumos, with a fritschi daimir a.t. binding, and scarpa laser boots. I use kicker skins, which are smaller versions of full length. They work fine on most ascents. I have ski crampons also, but have never needed them yet. I cannot wait for winter. That picture of gothics is incredible.
                              That is wrights...

That AT set-up is great! Although i would recommend getting full size skins. Believe me the advantages are well worth it! You'll be suprised at the stuff you can go up compared to the kickers....
                              The Heart of Oak

Comment

Working...
                              X