Beckhorn Slide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckhorn Slide.

While hiking RPR yesterday I eyeballed the Beckhorn Slide (that was the only reason I did RPR :lol: ) and checked it out with Tom R's binos. It looked awefully steep. Then Mtn. Goat and his buddies came over after doing the Eagle Slide and said it was a Class 5 technical climb.
    If that's the case I would drop it from my list, however I would still be interested in doing it (with a guide). Does anybody have any first (or second) hand knowledge regarding this slide? John Winkler has a pic from the top of the BH slide but that dosn't mean he climbed it.

Barbara McMartin gives 2 sentences on it in her Discover the Adirondacks High Peak section (East Dix from rt. 73 section).

In the paragraph she is giving advice on how to get to the summit of Dix up the eastern cirque from the path to East Dix on the South Fork of the Bouquet river.

Quote "The Steep Slide that opens up just below the Beckhorn is a delightful attraction that abandons you in the thick cripplebush of the extreme steep upper reaches of the crique, and other possible approches are worse. Without Cripplebush this would be rock climbing!"

So it sounds like the slide is could be do-able but at the top and/or getting to the summit from there is dangerous.

I didn't do the slide but I did follow that tributary and bushwhacked up to the 1052m sub peak on Dix (Why not?). The stream is nice & easy with many flumes so it's a good one to do on a hot summer day.

If it helps here are 2 pictures of the slide taken from.. <insert loud airplane flying overhead soundeffect>

Beck1.jpg
    Beck2.jpg

and a 3rd from a different angle and little further away from the cliffs on the north shore of Round Pond

dix2.jpg

Note: If your screen res is 800x600 and you are using Microsoft internet Explorer and the pictures are less than full screen, hold the cursor near the bottom right of the picture and an expand button will apppear or else the pictures get scrunched
    Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Anything & Everything on the Adirondacks

Comment

Great pics Q, it looks like there might be an over-grown slide just to the left (south) of the BH slide?
      https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Looking at it (or rather, where it should be) in Topo! I get a 70% ave. grade for the steepest 0.3 miles Near the top, however, the grade averages 100%. Still, I bet it can be done without gear, if the top section is too steep there's A)always the trees to grab onto. or B) plenty of trees to sling a rope or webbing around for downclimbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
          Looking at it (or rather, where it should be) in Topo! I get a 70% ave. grade for the steepest 0.3 miles Near the top, however, the grade averages 100%. Still, I bet it can be done without gear, if the top section is too steep there's A)always the trees to grab onto. or B) plenty of trees to sling a rope or webbing around for downclimbing.

Just remember, the maps don't have enough granularity. 20 foot contours can hide a lot. You have to try it.

Grabbing onto the trees next to the slide is not really safe. Those things are not well rooted. Go in further, and get yourself well scratched up. Be safe.
          Last edited by pete_hickey; 10-04-2005, 07:11 AM.
          Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
            My famous last words before climbing Slide#3 on Whiteface. Bring rock shoes and rope and know how to use 'em. Oh, and a hiking partner too. One thing I was definitely thinking above the Whiteface slide was "I really shouldn't be doing this alone".
            --- Resident terrorist-supporting eco-freak bootlicker

Comment

Here are some others' pics from the slide. It appears to have some very steep sections but nothing requiring rope, assuming a summer attempt.

In the winter:
              http://community.webshots.com/album/240724528qvNllB/1

Summer:
              http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~reiterc/hi.../10/index.html

The flumes on the way up are spectacular and make the route that much more attractive. Haven't been on the slide yet.

Comment

Sir, those are some sweet pics, Thanks!
                https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Working...
                X