The "wrong way" slide on Basin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "wrong way" slide on Basin.

Masshysteria has hit upon it on the "List of Slides" thread, and I finally got around to the point where I might as well share it.

This slide is NOT the one typically associated with the "Chicken Coop Brook" bushwhack up Basin. It's used as access, but you must clearly deviate from the brook path to reach it. Last fall, Myself, Masshysteria and bushwhacker were hiking to the Basin Amp. and we thought we'd try to head up the Chicken Coop drainage to the col between Basin/Saddleback. Here's a visual;

The traditional route is oulined in yellow. In talking with the unnamed Adirondack guru that gave us the info, she clearly expected us to take that route (we learned later). For a variety of reasons, to include some subtle observations we noted along the way, we veered right (the WRONG WAY) as indicated by the red line instead of going straight. It ended up taking us to the base of this rather nice and fairly clean (vegetation is creeping back at the edges) Slide. It's not a bad route, and a good slide, but the b-whack to the range trail from the top of the slide is steep, thick and generally an unfun, but necessary evil.

This is NOT, as I understand, the slide typically, associated with Chicken Coop Brook. You can see this slide pretty good from Saddleback's summit.

It's clearly on the side of Basin's un-named knob too. qam1's great list (see the List of Slides thread) does not indicate any slides on Basin. This one is certainly there. Additionally Basin Brook Slide is also not on that list. I understand that the is more of a wide, open drainage than a true slide, so perhaps that's the reason.

I have some good shots from the "wrong way" slide, which was named by masshysteria upon our later discovery of that error**, and they can be seen -HERE- in pictures 4-7.

** - I stand corrected, according to -THIS THREAD- I guess I first called it that last April. :?
    Last edited by Mavs00; 12-21-2005, 01:25 AM.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Wrong Way Slide was most definitely your name. I hope it goes down in history with that name. The funny thing that I recall while sitting at the top of WWS, was how we could see the slide at the end of Chicken Coop Brook. It rose very steeply up to the col between Saddleback and Basin. So steeply that I commented at the time that I didn't think anyone could climb it without technical assistance. I guess it was the angle that we were looking at it, because it is climbable. Here's another slide (CCB) to put on the to-do list.

Where the drainage from WWS entered CCB, it really wasn't all that obvious that there was a slide there. What made us head up that way? There wasn't a debris pile on CCB that I remember.
    Last edited by masshysteria; 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by masshysteria
      Where the drainage from WWS entered CCB, it really wasn't all that obvious that there was a slide there. What made us head up that way? There wasn't a debris pile on CCB that I remember.
      If I recall correctly, I think when I was pre-planning, I noted the cleft (inverted "v"), which almost always indicates a drainage of some type in the side to the right and made the assumption that was the correct route to take. Me and Brian talked it over and initially planned to go that way. The night before, at the 46er dinner, in talking with "the source" and we told her our plans she gave us great directions to "the slide". Citing language issues, not mention the beer or two I'd had, we missed the "stay left at the brook split" part. The amp was the big destination, this part was mostly .

As we went, we hit the split and it was nice, mossy and overall inviting. You guys were like, are you sure that's right, to which I just shrugged my sholders, and said "I think so". Like the intrepid explorers we are, we blindly headed off towards our destiny. .

We reached the slide base pretty quick and I remember gleefully pronouncing to you doupting Toms "see, I told you I'd get you here". There was a large debris pile to go over, I do remember that.

Comment

Alas, I am now numbered with the great doubters of history; Longstreet with Lee at Gettysburg; Marshal Ney with Napoleon at Waterloo; Montgomery with Eisenhower at 'The Bulge'; and now Hoffman with Dubois at CCB.
        I wouldn't say I doubted you, I just wasn't sure you knew where we were going. Ha ha, just kiddin'!

Comment

Alas, I am now numbered with the great doubters of history; Longstreet with Lee at Gettysburg; Marshal Ney with Napoleon at Waterloo; Montgomery with Eisenhower at 'The Bulge'; and now Hoffman with Dubois at CCB.
          I wouldn't say I doubted you, I just wasn't sure you knew where we were going. Ha ha, just kiddin'!
          Where, I was going?...... WHERE I WAS GOING????

I was marching you (kicking and screaming I might add) into the regional pioneering history books. Weaving you into the very fabric of Adirondack Folklore. Move over Matilda, Bring on Tom H., one of last great ones of that dying breed of ADK pioneer explorers. Co-discoverer of that all-east classic "ribbon of rock" known as "Wrong Way Slide".

In all seriousness, the right turn actually seemed like the more logical way to go (in my mind anyway). I'm sure it's been climbed and skied on many occations. It may very well may have a proper name, "wrong way" was just the one I tagged on it.

Comment

Basin Slide

I guess this would be the "wrong way slide" if you did not set out to climb it. But it looks like the Basin Slide to me.

Climbed this on June 11, 2005 by climbing up Basin Brook on a trip lead by Claudia Warren. Claudia had passed this way several times before.

My trip report says:

Beautiful day to be in the mountains. Party of 11. I drove as did Bob. One drove up from Weschester the night before, one drove in from Corys Road (Barbara I think), and one came down from Plattsburgh (the other Wayne). Trip up Basin Brooke from very nice. Lots of high quality rock hopping. Slide was short and sweet. Great views. Then came the bushwhack to the top of Basin. That was short in distance. Pretty difficult, but short.

View from the top was excellent. Steep climb up to top of Basin. Steep climb from col to top of Saddleback. Great views from Saddleback.

Cheers!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbinghaus
              I guess this would be the "wrong way slide" if you did not set out to climb it. But it looks like the Basin Slide to me.

Climbed this on June 11, 2005 by climbing up Basin Brook on a trip lead by Claudia Warren. Claudia had passed this way several times before.

My trip report says:

Beautiful day to be in the mountains. Party of 11. I drove as did Bob. One drove up from Weschester the night before, one drove in from Corys Road (Barbara I think), and one came down from Plattsburgh (the other Wayne). Trip up Basin Brooke from very nice. Lots of high quality rock hopping. Slide was short and sweet. Great views. Then came the bushwhack to the top of Basin. That was short in distance. Pretty difficult, but short.

View from the top was excellent. Steep climb up to top of Basin. Steep climb from col to top of Saddleback. Great views from Saddleback.

Cheers!!
              If you were intending to climb BASIN BROOK, then this is your "wrong way slide" as well . This one is CLEARLY off of CHICKEN COOP BROOK. Basin brook would be on the other side of the long high ridge of Basin's high sub-bumb between Basin /Saddleback.

If you look at the pic, you can see WWS highlighted in the foreground, but you can also see to the right of the summit of Basin, Basin Brook Slide rising toward the Northern sub- summit beyond.

CCB starts by the lean-to by Bushnell Falls, Basin Brook starts at the big brook halfway between CCB and Slant rock. Two totally different slides.

Comment

Wws

Yup,

You are right. I sent my ADK mountain consultant and hiking partner, Bob Scaife, the pix.

Bob tells me:

I think the Basin Brook slide is the one on the next ridge back that points
                to Marcy. It looks to me like the one circled in the picture does come out
                of Chicken Coop Brook and up toward the North shoulder of Basin. I think
                the picture must be taken from the top of Saddleback. The name seems
                appropriate if the intent is to come up the Chicken Coop Brook slide, which
                is much less grown over and comes up to the col between Basin and
                Saddleback. I guess there must be one or more confusing choice points on
                that slide, also.

Bob is not always right on these issues, but usually right. So I stand (or sit or whatever ) corrected.

But I am sure that the whack at the top of WWS cannot be much worse than the one at the top of Basin Slide :shock:

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbinghaus
                  But I am sure that the whack at the top of WWS cannot be much worse than the one at the top of Basin Slide
                  Ebb, the Basin Brook slide takes you to the top of the false summit to the west of Basin, am I correct? From there you have to descend into a col between the two summits, while avoiding the cliffs between the two? When we were standing on Basin looking at that sub-summit and the cliffs ringing it, we couldn't help but think that must be a tough push to get through that.

I'm going to rate the BBS as a tougher whack than WWS, even though I haven't tried the former.

On Tim's topo at the top of this thread, there is a trail that heads to the south off of the south-east summit of Saddleback. It doesn't go too far and ends. I don't ever recall seeing a trail there, is this a mis-print by the USGS, or was there a trail there at one time?
                  Last edited by masshysteria; 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM.

Comment

On Tim's topo at the top of this thread, there is a trail that heads to the south off of the south-east summit of Saddleback. It doesn't go too far and ends. I don't ever recall seeing a trail there, is this a mis-print by the USGS, or was there a trail there at one time?
                    It isn't on the USGS maps of 1953 or 1902 (or thereabouts), but it is on the metric one. ANd the metric ones are full of mistakes.
                    Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Tim, How about regaling us with the story of the bushwhack out of the Basin's Amphitheatre? I now you've said it's frightful, now spill the beans and scare the begeesus out of us.
                      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                      It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                      X