Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descriptions to include in a slide book/catalogue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple of thoughts. First off, when it comes to rating steepness, one mans 'thrilling climb' might be another mans ' your nuts'. That would mean a numerical rating system would have to be used, but what would the standards for that system be? Using the YDS, the slide climbs look like they fall into the 3.0 to 4.5 range, but what would constitute a 3.9 and what would make that different from a 4.1?

An option for your slide description might be if you could show a graphical representation of the elevation change and steepness of a slide. That way, instead of giving a slide a numerical rating, or a grade percentage, you can show a picture on a graph. On my Garmin E-Trex Vista, there is a barometric altimeter. It will show you a graph of your elevation changes. Unfortunately, that info does not download to any of the mapping softwares ( I have Garmin, NG, and Delorme). You can build a profile of a hike from the track you took, but that is based on the software's maps, not the actual GPS elevation track.

Andrew LaVigne's web site, http://alavigne.homeip.net/newHomePa...acks/index.jsp
    Andrew's Web Site - The Adirondack High Peaks Region and Andrew's 46er Page , has this feature at the end of his trip reports. I emailed him one time to ask him how he was able to graph the info. Unfortunately, his answer had alot of technical stuff in it, so he might as well have been speaking Assyrian to me. But someone with any computer knowledge would surely know of what he speaks. I'm still trying to memorize my "gazintas"!
    https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

I did the Colden 1990 slide yesterday. Using Topo! I got an average per cent incline of around 60%. But, there are 2 50 sections where the incline is 100% or 45 deg. (The Eagle's ave. incline is only 80%.) My lowtops are pretty worn out and they barely held on these 45 deg. sections. A year ago I did this same slide with 2 other people who had a very unpleasant experience because of those sections. You can only get around them by entering equally steep, horrendous cripplebush. So, I would rate this one as difficult.
      Also, on the lower approach to the slide there are some little steps to climb up. My son rated them as 5.4. However, you can easily detour these short steps. So, those sections would be rated easy and but would get a mention of the 5.4 moves one can choose to make.

Comment

Originally posted by neil
        . Using Topo! I got an average per cent incline of around 60%. But, there are 2 50 sections where the incline is 100% or 45 deg. (The Eagle's ave. incline is only 80%.)
        I think the average is somewhat meaningless. It is the steep sections that are important. OK, the average can give an idea of what it is like, but the steep sections are the real crux. And that's the way climbing is rated, not by overall, but by the worst sections.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
          I think the average is somewhat meaningless. It is the steep sections that are important. OK, the average can give an idea of what it is like, but the steep sections are the real crux. And that's the way climbing is rated, not by overall, but by the worst sections.
          I agree 100% as regards giving an overall rating to a slide climb.

But maybe in the body of the description describing both the average pitch of the entire slide plus pitch and length of the steepest portions would help grasp the overall nature of the trip.

Comment

Working...
          X