List of Slides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Slides

These are the ones I know of. About 30 slides if you lump the Dix and East side Giant slides together as one.
    I’m excluding those ones where full climbing gear is required.

What am I missing? Are there more in the Great Range?

Grace
    Beckhorn
    Dix North
    Dix West
    Macomb
    Nippletop
    Blake

Giant:
    Eagle
    Bottle
    Diagonal
    Question Mark
    Tulip
    Facing Green (name?)
    East side slides

Colden
    Trap Dike

Whiteface
    Lake Placid side
    Ski Hill

Redfield
    Cliff
    Nye (I hear it’s not worth the effort)
    Marshall

Gothics
    Ribbon
    True North

Upper Wolf Jaw
    Lower Wolf Jaw (Bennies Brook)

Santanoni
    Ermine Brook
    Twin Slides (east side)

Emmons

Wright
    Angel (facing Marcy Dam)
    Facing Algonquin

(Also, if one wants to count these: Seymour, Allan, Nippletop (facing Dix), Jay)

Looks like a new list is in the making….Anybody interested in going for their 4 seasons? Winter descents? Full Moon? Bare foot? Backwards?

Being that I love list, I did start to make a list of slides awhile ago for my site but never finished and forgot all about it.

Here’s what I have so far (Hopefully this formats correctly and is readable as I attempted to change “real” html to Forum html)

Side of the mountain, name of slide (if it has one), date when slide formed, comments

Note on date formed
    BWM = Before the White Man arrived
    -78 = Unknown date, Slide appears on 1978 metric maps so it must have formed before then
    +78 = Unknown date, Slide doesn't appear on 1978 metric maps so it may have formed after

Algonquin 5,115
    E, unnamed, 9/17/1999 - Hurricane Floyd

Armstrong 4429
    E, unnamed, -78
    ?, unnamed, 9/17/1999 - It was reported that Hurricane Floyd caused a new slide here, not sure where it is, possibly S/SE

Blake's 3,970
    E, Unnamed, -78

Cliff 3,944
    E, Unnamed, -78

Colden 4,715
    N, Unnamed, 9/17/1999, Hurricane Floyd
    NW, Avalanche Slides, 8/20/1869, These are the famous slides seen on all the post cards, one of these slides was further widened 9/27/1942 by a hurricane
    SE, Unnamed, 6/1990
    W, Trap Dyke, BWM, One of the premier climbs in the Adirondacks, 1st climbed in 1850 by Robert Clarke & Alexander Ralph

Dix 4,823
    N, North Face Slides, 8/2/1993 6 slides in total, a loud boom was heard for dozens of miles when these bad boys came down
    SE, Beckhorn Slide, +78
    W, Western Slides, 1970

East Dix 4,006
    NW, Great Slide, BWM - Two slides side by side

Emmons 4,039
    SE, Unnamed, +78

Giant 4,626
    N, unnamed, -78,
    NW, unnamed, +78, Furthest left (east)of the 3 NW slides
    NW, Lower case Y Slide, -78, Middle and longest of the 3 NW slides
    NW, Rectangle Slide, +78, Furthest right (west)of the 3 NW slides
    SW, unnamed, BWM, In the Southwestern Cirque
    E, The Bat Slide, BWM, Eastern Cirque
    W, Bottle Slide, 6/29/1963
    W, Diagonal Slide, 6/29/1963
    W, Question Mark Slide, 6/29/1963
    W, Eagle Slide, 6/29/1963, One of the premier climbs in the Adirondacks
    W, Finger Slide, 6/29/1963
    W, Tulip Slide, 6/29/1963

Gothics 4,734
    N, True North/Ribbon, 6/1990,
    S - Pyramid Slides, BWM,

Hough PK 4,409
    NE, Unnamed, -78

Kilburn 3,881
    NW, Unnamed, +78

Ledge Hill 1,998
    E, Northway Slide, BWM, Possibly the smallest mountain with a slide. Slide seen on the west side of the Northway just south of the Schroon Lake rest areas. (Note: This slide is not referring to the mudslide that happened in 2005 and closed the Northway, it's more North and has been here way before that)

Little Blue (Blue Mt Lake) 2,844
    S, Unnamed, +78

Lower Wolfjaw 4,173
    N, Bennies Brook, +78, Y shaped
    S, Unnamed, -78, 9/17/1999, Hurricane Floyd didn't create this slide but widened it considerably

MaComb 4,390
    W, Unnamed, Popular way to the top of the mountain
    SW, Unnamed, 1947

Marcy 5,344
    S, Unnamed, BWM, Old Mountain Phelps used this route to the top

Marshall 4,363
    S, Unnamed, ;+78

Morgan 3,458
    E, Wilmington, +78

Moose (Sentinels) 3,898
    NW, Unnamed, 1995, Formed in 1995, expanded by Floyd, as of 2005 still looks unstable;

Nippletop 4,593
    W, Unnamed, -78

Nye 3,871
    N, Earthquake Slide, 10/7/1983, Caused by the Blue Mountain Lake earthquake of 1983

Pitchoff (Sentinels) 3,497
    W, Mini-slide, 9/17/1999 - Hurricane Floyd caused a very small slide. The trail before Balancing Rocks cuts right across it. Hey don't give me that, it counts!!

Round Mountain 3,084
    N, Ancient Slide, BWM, Weston trail cuts right across it, hard to spot as it is mostly grown in. This slide may be 100s to 1000s of years old

Saddleback 4,528
    NW, Chicken Coop Brook slide, +78

Santanoni 4,606
    E, Unnamed, +78, Twin slides
    W, Ermine Brook Slides, 9/28/1985, Hurricane Gloria

Sawteeth 4,134
    ?, unnamed, 9/17/1999 - It was reported that Hurricane Floyd caused a new slide here, not sure where it is

Scarface 3,058
    NW, The Scar, BWM, Scarface gets it's name from this slide

Seymour 4,091
    N, Unnamed, BWM, The main path to the summit is/was a slide although I'm not sure it counts anymore

Snowy 3,898
    SE, Namesake Slide, BWM, Snowy gets it's name after the white color of this slide

Unnamed (Sentinels/ South Notch) 3,212
    W, Unnamed, 2005?, Never seen this one before 2005, it looks brand new

Upper Wolfjaw 4,203
    N, Long Wolfjaw Brook Slide, -78 & 9/17/1999 Nearer to the summit than the NW short slide, Hurricane Floyd didn't create this slide but did lengthened it considerably
    NW, Short Wolfjaw Brook Slide, -78 & 9/17/1999 Hurricane Floyd didn't create this slide but widened it considerably
    SE, Unnamed, -78

Whiteface 4,885
    E, Ski Slide, -78
    W, Lake Placid Slide, -78

Wright 4,587
    SE, Unnamed, 9/1938
    E, unnamed, 9/17/1999 - Hurricane Floyd, On 2/19/00 an avalanche triggered by skiers occurred here, killing one person and injuring 5 others.
    Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Anything & Everything on the Adirondacks

Comment

Qam1,
      Wow, looks like I've got some work ahead of me. I know, it's a helluva job but someone has to do it.

For my cataloguing project I've gotten lots of encouragement from Sylvie and Dominic (he just wants to do a lot of slides) and they think it should be a book.

Comment

Qam, That is an awesome list. Thanks for sharing it.
        "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

I heard from Charlie(adirondacker) last week on the trap dyke that there is a book that lists the slide paths. All I know, is that looking down on the SE slide from the summit of Colden, it looks very skiable.
          set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

Originally posted by hillman1
            I heard from Charlie(adirondacker) last week on the trap dyke that there is a book that lists the slide paths. All I know, is that looking down on the SE slide from the summit of Colden, it looks very skiable.
            Trap dike skiable? Sure... a friend of mine did it a couple times. He's good, though. ALso crazy.

Melnor's book lists quite a few slides.

Uhh Neil... Ribbon and True North are one and the same. Most call it True North. Ribbon started being used (via the net) last year. JBL ranger, never heard of it being called Ribbon, and was wondering why so may people were calling it that. I told him because someone posted a report (calling it that) on the net.. Powerful medium to change a name that quickly.
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
              Uhh Neil... Ribbon and True North are one and the same. Most call it True North. Ribbon started being used (via the net) last year.
              I had been wondering about that.

Comment

Also... Emmons slide. As far as slide climbs go, you might want to put it in the 'not worth it' catagory. It fits better in the 'bit of open space in a bushwhack' catagory.

Comment

Originally posted by qam1
                  ]

Here’s what I have so far (Hopefully this formats correctly and is readable as I attempted to change “real” html to Forum html)

Dix 4,823
                  N, North Face Slides, 8/2/1993 6 slides in total, a loud boom was heard for dozens of miles when these bad boys came down[/color]
                  My son, JR and I were on Dix that day. Fortunately, we were on the other side. Insane water flowing. The following day, heading out (we were camped at Slide Brook) we met a ranger and gave him a report on the conditions there (some of the Hunters Pass trail got wiped out). He told us, "The boquet looks like chocolate milk." I loved that discription.

We didn'T hear anything, except the wind going through the trees, and the occational tree coming down. That was scarey.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
                    Also... Emmons slide. As far as slide climbs go, you might want to put it in the 'not worth it' catagory. It fits better in the 'bit of open space in a bushwhack' catagory.
                    I think it's about 600 meters long. What's that, a third of a mile? The little slide on the South of Jay would also fit into the "not worth the trouble" category allthough we sure were glad to happen upon it.

Comment

There is a slide on the South side of Seward that is visible from the abandoned lumber camp on Ouluska Pass Brook.

Comment

I was thinking of the Souteast side slide. Not the trap dyke. I know that it has been skied, but will not be done by me.
                        set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul...T.A.

Comment

I get 64 slides in Qam1's list counting the 6 on Dix and the twin slides on Grace. Cataloguing 50 would suffice and it has a nice ring to it. "Fifty Slide Climbs in the Adirondacks".

Comment

Neil, I thought I'd add my two cents worth (US Dollars).

I was going to mention that the Ribbon and True North slides on Gothics are one in the same, but I think the jury is still out on that. Some ice climbers say that they are 2 different routes. The slide does come off the northern end of Gothics, and then splits in two, with the right fork (north) being the longerone, almost reaching the Orebed Brook trail. The left fork is shorter and peters out in the thick woods. Perhaps each fork has its own name, Ribbon or True North, but I don't know. The unamed stream that you follow up from Orebed does eventually become a low angle slide path before it reaches the impressive North Face of Gothics. Maybe that is either True North or Ribbon.The other option is that there is a slide that comes off the western side of Armstrong and drains into the larger (north) fork of the Ribbon/True North slide. That slide does not go near the top of Armstrong, it looks like it ends about 500 vertical ft. short.

Pete, last fall, when you were muling cable up to the west face of Gothics, the Ranger who was helping you stopped at the Orebed leanto to talk to us. We told him we were going to climb the Ribbon/True North slide, and he told us he never heard of them. He suggested that we cancel our climb because no one had ever used the route and it was too risky. We showed him Don Mellor's book and some printouts of trip reports from VFTT of people who had made the climb. The reality is that it is a very easy climb with some fantastic visual rewards!

There is also the unamed dirty slide that crosses the Orebed trail about a mile south of Orebed leanto. I think that emanates from a small nubble to the west of Gothics, not the peak proper.

Let us also not forget the now infamous "Wrong Way" slide that Tim, Brian and myself climbed last fall. It starts on the northern false summit of Basin, and drains into Chicken Coop Brook.
                            https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by masshysteria
                              Pete, last fall, when you were muling cable up to the west face of Gothics, the Ranger who was helping you stopped at the Orebed leanto to talk to us. We told him we were going to climb the Ribbon/True North slide, and he told us he never heard of them. He suggested that we cancel our climb because no one had ever used the route and it was too risky. We showed him Don Mellor's book and some printouts of trip reports from VFTT of people who had made the climb. The reality is that it is a very easy climb with some fantastic visual rewards!
                              Not sure, but I seem to remember him telling me that he had never heard of the RIBBON slide. He knew all about True North. I don't know him that well, or how long he had been in the area.

Comment

Working...
                              X