Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alistair
    replied
    I've been on vacation, away from a computer, for 10days with my family and I come back and whoooo! looks what has appeared.
    Looks like quite a few people liked your idea Neal. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• TEO
    replied
    Originally posted by neil
    There's one little problem with my idea. Liability.
    Neil, you had a great idea, forget about liability. The liability is no different than that incurred by any other forum. Heck, the timefortuckerman.com forum is always talking about doing stupid things at Tuckerman Ravine and seemingly promotes risky behaviour, making it potentially far more liable than anything on this site. I think it would be great if this thread (or a new, related one) were soley slide descriptions, with discussions about the slides being separate threads.

Leave a comment:

• TEO
    replied
    Emmons Slide

Edit: Content moved to Slide climbing section

Leave a comment:

• Neil
    replied
    There's one little problem with my idea. Liability. It seems disclaimers aren't worth doodley squat either.
    Liability both for me and for Tim. Someone heads up on a slide in late September, catches some ice and ends up on the great slide in the sky: the family and a lawyer'll come looking for a few million.

I'm going to look a little deeper into it but publishing a book appears to be safer, not that I'd want to go to all that trouble.

Leave a comment:

• masshysteria
    replied
    That is an interesting idea, Neil. In Don Mellor's book; "Rock and Ice Climbs in the Adirondacks", he does have a section devoted to slide climbs. Mostly the more famous ones like the west face slides on Giant, west slides on Dix, the Trap Dike, etc.. I'm wondering if a system can be developed to give the climb a rating, like rock climbers use, or is there a rating system already in place?

The idea of critical waypoints would be the most help. How many people have trouble on the Trap Dike because they exit onto the slab too early, or how many people miss the Wright slide because they take the wrong tributary?

The one time I tried the Trap, I was halted by the amount of water going over the waterfall crux. Barbara McMartin's book didn't mention that one should pay attention to the amount of rainfall before attempting the climb. How many people over the years have climbed the north slide on Dix from the Round Pond Trail, thinking it was an easy, direct route to the top? Only to find that there was a solid half mile of bushwacking to reach the summit.

Leave a comment:

• alistair
    replied
    I climbed the Colden trap dyke on Monday with Hillman, and we were questioning if there was a book on slide climbs ..... this would be a great web page to start a forum on ADK Slides!

Leave a comment:

• Neil
    started a topic ADK slide catalogue.

ADK slide catalogue.

I was thinking it would be real cool and a lot of fun to make an on-line catalogue of all the slides in the ADK's. I've noticed that people are interested in slide climbing but that they are a little hesitant to get their feet wet. The simple reason is the fear that it will be too difficult and/or dangerous. I read a TR for Nippletop that made me worried that it would be dangerous. When I went I found it to be very easy.

I would go the whole nine yards. Gps waypoints, the approach, per cent grade, rock type, photos, a simple difficulty rating (ie. easy, moderate, difficult), water availability and whatever else I can come with.

This would be a labour of love and a work that would be in progress for a long time. If each slide was a thread on a sub-forum then my description could be a sticky at the top and then people could post their own impressions below that.

I would emphasize respect for the environment and put up safety recommendations.
Working...
X