Whiteface Brook slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteface Brook slide

A few questions for anyone here who has climbed it: once one leaves the marked trail perhaps a half-mile above the lean-to, is there anything obvious (like cairns or some faint herd path) marking the route, or is this a true bushwhack up the brook? When one reaches the slide, is this particularly steep? How would it compare to Bennies Brook Slide or the Nippletop slide in terms of steepness? How's the footing?

With buildings at the summit, I can't imagine it's too difficult to find the top.

Thanks for any help.

I do believe I saw a rather obvious herd path on my way down Whiteface once. Can anyone else confirm that?
    "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
    Cheers
    Spence

Comment

Was that above timberline (leading southwest to the slide), or are you talking about much further down at the point at which the trail joins up with the brook?

Anyway I'm likely to do this hike next Wednesday (7/6), so I'll be able to answer my own questions here in about a week.

Comment

It wou;d have been a herd path to the base of the slide. It was along the trail where the trail follows along side the brook. I wish I could give you more of an exact location.
        "Woods are not like other spaces.Their trees surround you, loom over you, press in from all sides.Woods choke off views and leave you muddled and without bearings.They make you feel small a confused and vulnerable.Stand in a desert or prairie and you know you are in a big place.Stand in a woods and you only sense it.They are a vast, featureless nowhere.And they are alive."Bill Bryson"
        Cheers
        Spence

Comment

To follow up - on 7/6 I climbed Baker Mt. (with my 4YO son) instead of Whiteface...my feet weren't up for it after Allen two days before and there would've been no views anyway. Still hoping to try this thing later in the summer though...perhaps early August.

Comment

Working...
          X