Blake Slide/ the falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake Slide/ the falls

So I'm stuck in the office waiting for field work to start up again after a lull. Can you tell? Too much time on my hands got me pipe-dreamin'

I've noticed on the Nat geo map as well as google earth that there is a marked water fall along the west inlet draining into Elk Lake, between Blake Peak and Nippletop simply called the falls.

As I was looking at the satellite imagery, I noticed a sizable slide coming off the summit ridge of Blake. I'm intrigued! The topo lines like pretty tight so I don't know if this would be do-able for me but I have to imagine someone has done it.

Here's the idea for the hike:
    Start at Elk Lake, hike up the Pinnacle Ridge and drop off Blake down the slide. From here, either follow up the drainage to the Nippletop slide or side slope along the southern edge of Nippletop to the Dix/ Elk Lake trail.

It seems like you could also drop down from Elk Pass to the falls and climb the Blake slide.

I don't believe I've ever read about this slide on Blake or a visit to the falls. Has anyone been there or know someone who has? Love to hear about it.
    Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
    I'm always gonna wanna make it move
    Always gonna be an uphill battle
    Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
    Ain't about how fast I get there
    Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
    It's the climb
    -Miley Cyrus

Neil has visited both falls and the slide I believe. He'll probably chime in later. So you are thinking of a point to point hike?

Comment

I think that would be the "easiest" (certainly a relative term, there is no way any of this will be easy) but I think it would be possible to go from Pinnacle ridge, down to the falls then bushwhack back to the Dix Elk Lake trail.

The point to point thru-hike seems more pleasant to me though. Nice to see you around the forum Gregory. You haven't posted much lately. Is there some sort of larger world outside this forum I'm missing out on? hahaha

It's the climb
      -Miley Cyrus

Comment

I've followed the stream at the outlet of the Elk Pass ponds to the N'top footwall before I turned away from the stream. It's pretty in there. Of course, these days it's a lot easier to get in there than in the past.

The only other thoughts on this I have are, if it was me, I'd climb the slide first and hit Colvin on the way back. It would make a nice loop from the AMR.
        Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Thank you sir. The more I'm looking at it, hiking down from Elk Pass, up the slide to Blake and back down to the AMR trail head would be a do able day hike. Looks like Koda gets a day off for this one.

It's the climb
          -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Originally posted by Crepuscular View Post
            I think that would be the "easiest" (certainly a relative term, there is no way any of this will be easy) but I think it would be possible to go from Pinnacle ridge, down to the falls then bushwhack back to the Dix Elk Lake trail.

The point to point thru-hike seems more pleasant to me though. Nice to see you around the forum Gregory. You haven't posted much lately. Is there some sort of larger world outside this forum I'm missing out on? hahaha
            Hi Chris,
            Still hiking as ever, just not posting. Have to spend my writing time writing other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Crepuscular View Post
              So I'm stuck in the office waiting for field work to start up again after a lull. Can you tell? Too much time on my hands got me pipe-dreamin'

I've noticed on the Nat geo map as well as google earth that there is a marked water fall along the west inlet draining into Elk Lake, between Blake Peak and Nippletop simply called the falls.

As I was looking at the satellite imagery, I noticed a sizable slide coming off the summit ridge of Blake. I'm intrigued! The topo lines like pretty tight so I don't know if this would be do-able for me but I have to imagine someone has done it.

Here's the idea for the hike:
              Start at Elk Lake, hike up the Pinnacle Ridge and drop off Blake down the slide. From here, either follow up the drainage to the Nippletop slide or side slope along the southern edge of Nippletop to the Dix/ Elk Lake trail.

It seems like you could also drop down from Elk Pass to the falls and climb the Blake slide.

I don't believe I've ever read about this slide on Blake or a visit to the falls. Has anyone been there or know someone who has? Love to hear about it.
              Hi,
              Neil loves Blake Slide...I'm not so thrilled with it, but here's my adventure from 2007: http://www.summitpost.org/blake-slid...raverse/343420. There are some slippery spots on Blake Slide, but I wasn't wearing rock climbing shoes at the time and I'm sure that would have helped. Watch that you don't lose it in the center like we all seem to! We bypassed the Falls by about 100' to save time. Have fun!The trek from the bottom of the slide to the drainage was in nice hardwoods while the climb up to Nippletop was lovely following the stream. Boulders get a bit more challenging as you near Nippletop slide.
              May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Working...
              X