Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crepuscular
    replied
    Up for another abandoned trail + climb expedition? There's another good high peaks archaeology trip in the works... [/QUOTE]

Excellent! I'm on board. Might as well put my education to good use

Leave a comment:

• SummitHat
    replied
    Outstanding hike! Thanks Chris for inspiring this trip to walk in the footsteps of climbers past and adventurers present.

Up for another abandoned trail + climb expedition? There's another good high peaks archaeology trip in the works...

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    Originally posted by bud View Post
    I took this route in '95 and again a couple years ago. It was surprisingly thick at the top. A faint herdpath dwindled to nothing. Lost a compass somewhere in there and didn't have the energy to go back for it. It was a great fight against the vegetation. I'm no sure who won but it was fun both times. I prefer the current slide in winter months.
    If we see the compass, we'll get it to you haha. I suspect the ridge will be very thick. The Dix Range seems to be fertile territory for blow-down and thick vegetation.

Leave a comment:

• bud
    replied
    I took this route in '95 and again a couple years ago. It was surprisingly thick at the top. A faint herdpath dwindled to nothing. Lost a compass somewhere in there and didn't have the energy to go back for it. It was a great fight against the vegetation. I'm no sure who won but it was fun both times. I prefer the current slide in winter months.

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    This one is tentatively on the docket for this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    That is actually super helpful cliff house! Nice route archaeology!

Leave a comment:

• tcd
    replied
    The first time we did Macomb 30 years ago the "dirt slide", and then the herd path to the North (climber's left) around the summit cliffs was the standard ADK hiking guidebook route. It was a fine route, as long as you were careful of the loose rubble on the slide.

Leave a comment:

• Cliff House
    replied
    This doesn't seem like it will be of much help, but for a historical perspective, here is what Trudy Healy's 1972 edition of A Climber's Guide To The Adirondacks says about the Macomb slides:

MACOMB VIA THE SLIDES FROM ELK LAKE
    (Mt. Marcy Quadrangle) Base: Elk Lake (Northway exit 29).

As suggested in the ADK Trail Guide, section D, follow the Elk Lake-Dix Trail past the orange colored brooks at the foot of the slide (now covered with second growth) to the good-sized brook at 2.25 miles. Follow the brook about one-half mile to the first significant tributary coming in from the south. Follow this tributary through the second growth to the open sections of the slide track. A wide dirt slide from the north, descending to the tributary about three-quarters of a mile from the main stream, offers the shortest route to the summit ridge, but this route is troublesome and dangerous because of loose rock. Another slide from the north striking the tributary about one-quarter mile farther up the valley offers a better route which leads to a junction with the dirt slide below the cliffs of the summit ridge. The cliffs may he climbed by competent rock climbers but a safer route to the ridge top is found in the woods about one hundred yards to the north. From the ridge top it is about one-half mile north to the summit.

Another enjoyable though more demanding route is found by continuing up the afore-mentioned tributary stream to the slides above. These lead to the ridge top south of the spot reached by the route earlier described.

Leave a comment:

• dundee
    replied
    Hurrican floyd did a nice job on that area. I believe the 46ers cut the new herd path and the old path and slide were left to the trees. There is no herd path along the ridge now.

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post

Let me know if you want company for this trip. It might be fun to walk up memory lane!

Awesome, thanks for the info. I love these kind of threads for the stories alone.
    I'll definitely keep you posted if this firms up.

Leave a comment:

• Trail Boss
    replied
    August 25th, 1981.

There isn't much written in my spiral notepad:
    1. Got tips from some folks at Slide Brook lean-to.
    2. Slide is exhilarating and very tough.
    3. Climbed the final rocky bluff.

All I recall is treading on smooth rock overgrown with vegetation and hemmed in by encroaching trees (an old, old, slide). A bit of loose rock here and there but nothing like the current herd-path to Macomb. That explains why, when I returned in 2010, the current slide-route came as a huge surprise to me! I had no idea my original route had fallen out of fashion. I do remember free-climbing the final rocky bluff because it looked more sporting than skirting it. To the best of my knowledge, this bluff is on the southernmost knob of Macomb's ridge.

If you zoom in on Macomb's right-most knob, in this photo, you'll see a rocky bluff. The old slide (or, at the very least, the route I had taken in 1981) led to this bluff.

Let me know if you want company for this trip. It might be fun to walk up memory lane!

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    hahahaha. I JUST found that report and was about to post it. Sounds pretty good!

Looks like you could spend a nice long day checking out some of these. Again, taking a look at the aerials, there are a lot of options.

Leave a comment:

• Teleskier
    replied
    Originally posted by Cory D View Post
    Dunbar, did a report of his climb. I remember how much it sucked to miss.

HERE
    Interesting... that's a third option; the one I was referring to is the '47 slide. I misspoke about it coming up to the "south summit", it's the middle of three, I guess. Thanks for the link!

Leave a comment:

• Cory D
    replied
    Dunbar, did a report of his climb. I remember how much it sucked to miss.

HERE

Leave a comment:

• Crepuscular
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleskier View Post

fun to climb it for historical reasons if nothing else!
    Right? I have a half-baked idea to hike some of the older approaches:
    Couchie from Cold River (with a visit to the hermitage of course)
    Marcy up the slide using the old Phelps route and etc.

Definitely some helpful info, thanks so much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X