Slide rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide rankings

I've searched here, but can't seem to find any threads that list slides by difficulty-although I think I've seen a thread before. I've done Macomb. I also have read that Bennies Brook is fairly easy, however I've already done LWJ.

I intend to do the Trap Dyke, when I get to Colden however am seeking other mountains that I climb by the lesser traveled route. Not looking to do all of them via slides, but if one or two are somewhat reasonable for a trail hiker I'd like to tackle them.

I have no technical climbing experience-so something that can be done in hiking boots without needing climbing gear. I'd be solo, so remoteness paired with potential for s*** to hit the fan would be not recommended.

Here are the 30 peaks that remain in my quest....

Marcy
    Basin
    Gray
    Haystack
    Big Slide
    Allen
    Cliff
    Redfield
    Wright
    Algonquin
    Iroquois
    Colden
    Phelps
    Tabletop
    Saddleback
    Sawteeth
    Skylight
    Nippletop
    Dial
    RPR
    Blake
    Dix
    Hough
    Emmons
    Donaldson
    Seward
    Seymour
    Whiteface
    Esther
    Marshall

Suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Here are some ideas for maybe less traveled approaches, without getting too remote (like Allen from the east) or too technical (like Gothics North face):

Marcy
    Basin
    Gray
    Haystack - from Panther Gorge
    Big Slide
    Allen
    Cliff
    Redfield
    Wright - via old Wright slide or any of the Angel group
    Algonquin - bushwhack from Inidan Pass trail
    Iroquois - via Shepherd's Tooth
    Colden - Trap Dike or 1990 Lake Arnold slide
    Phelps - "Illegal" trail from Klondike Notch
    Tabletop
    Saddleback
    Sawteeth - Scenic Trail
    Skylight
    Nippletop - Slide is moderate
    Dial - bushwhack gravestone brook from Dix trail
    RPR
    Blake - via Pinnacle from Elk Lake
    Dix
    Hough
    Emmons
    Donaldson
    Seward
    Seymour
    Whiteface - Lake Placid slide is moderate
    Esther - from the highway
    Marshall - from Cold Brook

Comment

Thanks!

So Nippletop fits the bill? If I understand correctly, that is a short bushwhack out of Elk Pass?

Comment

Nippletop slide is pretty moderate. Watch loose rock. Steep parts at the top can be avoided by exiting into the woods.

Approach is a moderate bushwhack. Woods are very thick. You may still be able to find and use the track left over from the rescue a couple years ago.

Comment

I climbed Nippletop slide last weekend. The path to the base is very well defined and it is easy to follow. Once on the slide you'll want to stay to the right and follow the drainage up when it goes from rock to brush again on and off several times before the slide proper. Near the top there is now a herd path that leads to the summit as well it has a bit of exposure but shouldn't be much of a challenge if you've already climbed the slide.

Comment

Working...
          X