Trap Dike Conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap Dike Conditions

If there is a dry stretch of weather next week I may attempt the Trap Dike. I'm interested to know if anyone has been there recently and can speak to the amount of water flowing near the crux. I'm only heading up there if I'm confident it's dry.
    Love all wilderness!
    Trying to hike and XC ski as much as possible.

ADK 46/46 still not official.
    W 27/46

Haven't been there, but I'm sure it was a raging waterfall on Saturday. It does dry up pretty fast; wait for a few dry days in a row.

The crux isn't too bad even if it's a little wet. The footholds are flat, and have good friction even when wet, and a little water spattering on you is not bad. The actual climbing route at that point is 10' or so to the right of the water's route, so you are not directly in the flow.

(Saturday, though, I'm sure you would have drowned; I imagine the whole dike was flowing after all that rain.)

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
      Haven't been there, but I'm sure it was a raging waterfall on Saturday. It does dry up pretty fast; wait for a few dry days in a row.

The crux isn't too bad even if it's a little wet. The footholds are flat, and have good friction even when wet, and a little water spattering on you is not bad. The actual climbing route at that point is 10' or so to the right of the water's route, so you are not directly in the flow.

(Saturday, though, I'm sure you would have drowned; I imagine the whole dike was flowing after all that rain.)
      Whats crazy is seeing youtube vids of people doing it in the full on rain, who are on in the waterfall itself, climbing. I know its totally "doable" but sheesh thats asking for trouble in my book.

Personally, though, I agree with tcd. Its really not bad unless its really gushing. I'll be up there next week too I think doing the dike, maybe I'll see you there!
      "In truth, the forest hears each sound, each blade of grass as it lies down. The world requires no audience, no witnesses, no witnesses!" Conor Oberst.

Comment

Working...
      X