Trap Dike under moonlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trap Dike under moonlight?

Has anyone thought of doing this? The dike itself might be a bit tricky and dark, and I'd probably cheat and use a headlamp, but the slide would be super bright under a full moon, no extra light required.
    "In truth, the forest hears each sound, each blade of grass as it lies down. The world requires no audience, no witnesses, no witnesses!" Conor Oberst.

Its easier after dark because you can't see what you're doing.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Sounds like a cool trip. From a safety/competence POV I can see three possibilities:
      1. You are comfortable because you know exactly what you are doing.
      2. You are uncomfortable because you know you don't really know what you are doing.
      3. You are comfortable because you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Comment

Sounds like fun! The dike faces WNW. So if you are going in the evening, you would probably want to go on about the half moon, so the moon would be well into the western sky for a good part of the night. The full moon would be most useful if you were climbing in the pre-dawn hours.

Comment

Midnight Trap Dike with randomscooter is on my bucket list, mainly because he is a #1 and I am a #3 on Neil's list.
          ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 277/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
            Sounds like fun! The dike faces WNW. So if you are going in the evening, you would probably want to go on about the half moon, so the moon would be well into the western sky for a good part of the night. The full moon would be most useful if you were climbing in the pre-dawn hours.
            I like your thinking. I hadnt gotten past "whoa, full moon slide fun" and didnt research any of that. So is that how it works? Half moons are going to be in the west for most of the night? You wouldnt need the moon to be out for more than an hour tops, the slide being pretty short overall. I think the allure of the full moon would be killer, not to mention how awesome everything is going to look. Avalanche lake under moonlight!!
            "In truth, the forest hears each sound, each blade of grass as it lies down. The world requires no audience, no witnesses, no witnesses!" Conor Oberst.

Comment

Yes, that's right. The full moon rises around sunset, so it's highest in the sky in the middle of the night, and westers towards morning. The waxing half moon rises in the afternoon, and is high in the sky in the evening, westering towards the middle of the night. Of course there is a waning half moon, but you don't want that one; it rises in the middle of the night, and is high in the sky around dawn.

Comment

Zombieland Rule#4: Wear sealtbelts.
                ADK 46/46 20W
                Catskills 39/39 27W
                NE115 103/115

Comment

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&afl=-11&day=1

Pick a date with a late afternoon moonrise and post-midnight moonset (and 80% or greater illumination). Check the Altitude value to determine its height in the night sky.

For example, July 12th it'll rise around 8:30 PM and set around 6:00 AM with a peak around 1:00 AM (30 degrees high). You can start at astronomical sunset and expect only moonlight for illumination for the entire ascent. It'll also be a Super Full Moon meaning the moon will be a perigee (closest to the earth in its orbital path) so it ought to look bigger and brighter than usual.

I hiked the Northern Presidentials by moonlight many, many moons ago and it was a surreal and unforgettable experience. Stay safe and have fun scaling the Trap Dike by the light of the silvery moon.
                  Looking for Views!

Comment

Holy hell, that is some beta. Thanks!!!!!!

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&afl=-11&day=1

Pick a date with a late afternoon moonrise and post-midnight moonset (and 80% or greater illumination). Check the Altitude value to determine its height in the night sky.

For example, July 12th it'll rise around 8:30 PM and set around 6:00 AM with a peak around 1:00 AM (30 degrees high). You can start at astronomical sunset and expect only moonlight for illumination for the entire ascent. It'll also be a Super Full Moon meaning the moon will be a perigee (closest to the earth in its orbital path) so it ought to look bigger and brighter than usual.

I hiked the Northern Presidentials by moonlight many, many moons ago and it was a surreal and unforgettable experience. Stay safe and have fun scaling the Trap Dike by the light of the silvery moon.

Comment

Believe it or not, I met a really pretty lady who wants to do the midnight dike ascent. Hands off, everyone.

Comment

Google "supermoon" and you'll see that the next couple of full moons will be 30% brighter than average.

Comment

Re: Trap Dike under moonlight?

Originally posted by gregpphoto View Post
                          Believe it or not, I met a really pretty lady who wants to do the midnight dike ascent. Hands off, everyone.
                          Did you read what you wrote first, or did you just post?
                          Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Originally posted by Commissionpoint View Post
                            Did you read what you wrote first, or did you just post?
                            Hahah ok, theres something there. Could be sexual.. could be climbing (whats the opposite of campusing?)

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                              Google "supermoon" and you'll see that the next couple of full moons will be 30% brighter than average.
                              I think thats gods way of saying "Send it bro"

So far as I know, no one has done this.. with good reason, Im sure. The slide portion will be cake, but the dike, with only a headlamp? Ohhh itll be fun alright.

Plus, if this girl is worth her salt, this will be an excellent arena to find out.

Comment

Working...
                              X