Gothics True North With a dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gothics True North With a dog?

From what I've pieced together, it seems like this slide isn't all that steep, nor does it have any more rock-climby type obstacles. Is there anything folks can think of that would be a bad idea for a dog? It seems like its more loose and mossy than open rock.

Koda has climbed Bennies Brook, Macomb (in winter) and the Great Slide on Grace. In order to climb Sawteeth for his 46, we need to go from the Garden. Since he's already gone up Ore bed Brook and the cable route (me too, a few too many times haha), I thought this might be an interesting variation if it was safe.

Basically, I'd love to hear any feedback, experiences or advice. Happy climbing! Warm weather hiking is pretty much here
    Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
    I'm always gonna wanna make it move
    Always gonna be an uphill battle
    Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
    Ain't about how fast I get there
    Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
    It's the climb
    -Miley Cyrus

I think you'll have more trouble ascending True North than Koda. True North is nothing like the other slides you mentioned and everything like you heard, namely lots of loose moss on sandy, pebbly soil.

While descending it, I thought it would be a soft, cushy and easy route directly down the center of the slide but quickly found myself switch-backing or hugging its perimeter. Why? Because it seemed like every third step resulted in my footfall tearing away a clump of soggy moss. It was like descending a set of collapsing stairs. Koda's four paw-drive will be a huge advantage.

BTW, there's about a mile of bushwhacking before you reach the first hint of the True North slide.

Sunday Special: Half-rack of Range with Two Slides 2013-05-19
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Thanks Taras, your TR was definitely one of the ones I was looking at for intel. Are the views worth the struggle? For some reason your photo set won't load for me and I can't find many other TR's with photos. I'd love to get a closer look at the North Face.

It's the climb
      -Miley Cyrus

Comment

I suppose a jaded person could say the views are the same as what one can see from the summit of Gothics. However, they unfold in a manner that one doesn't normally experience because it's a fairly unique western ascent route to Gothics. The view of Gothics' North Face is memorable!

Don't know what to tell you about the photo-viewing issue other than "It works for me". :(

Hugging the trees to avoid a tumble.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
          I suppose a jaded person could say the views are the same as what one can see from the summit of Gothics. However, they unfold in a manner that one doesn't normally experience because it's a fairly unique western ascent route to Gothics. The view of Gothics' North Face is memorable!

Don't know what to tell you about the photo-viewing issue other than "It works for me". :(

Hugging the trees to avoid a tumble.
          Thank ya sir! Not jaded as far as views in the ADK, so it's still on the list. As for the issue, weird stuff gets blocked on my work machine so I'm sure that's it.

It's the climb
          -Miley Cyrus

Comment

I want to explore the bottom of true north for potential winter time fun. Will have to do that this summer.
            Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
            Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

Originally posted by DackerDan View Post
              I want to explore the bottom of true north for potential winter time fun. Will have to do that this summer.
              In the newest ADK high peaks guide there's a picture of someone skiing below Gothics North Face. It looks awesome.

It's the climb
              -Miley Cyrus

Comment

As the slide eases over to the edge of the North face, thats where the money views are..... definitely worth it!
                https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Working...
                X