A Starter's Summer List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Starter's Summer List

A list for slides we're looking to trying this summer.

-Bennie's Brook ascent-LWJ-NW Slide descent

-Saddleback Ore Bed Slide ascent

-Snowy Mountain Griffin Brook Slide ascent

-Nippletop Slide

I also have an interest in the Brothers Slide. Thoughts?
    "Victory awaits him who has everything in order luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." -Roald Amundsen

ADK 46- 35/46

Consider adding the "SW" "Lake Arnold" "1990" (goes by various names) slide on Colden. Long and mostly moderate (a little steep, but clean, near the top), and trails are close to both the top and bottom. Plus probably the most dramatic summit of the group you are looking at.

Pick up Drew Haas's Adirondack Slide Guide

http://store.mountaineer.com/product_p/slideguide.htm

For any slides:

Bring a backup hike plan if it's likely to be wet; people can and do climb slides when wet, but if you want to have fun, skip that activity for now.

If you don't already have them, pick up a cheap pair of rock climbing shoes (worn out rentals at the local gym can be had very cheap, or pick up new ones on line for under $50). They weigh very little. You can get hybrid "approach" shoes, but for the small weight and time sacrifice, your regular hiking shoes will hike better, and rock shoes will climb better.

Comment

Do you think the Bennies Brook Slide is do-able for someone who's slide experience to this point is limited to Macomb?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmileyns View Post
        Do you think the Bennies Brook Slide is do-able for someone who's slide experience to this point is limited to Macomb?
        Yes. At the point where Bennies Brook Slide started to get steep the rock changed to more "blocky" rock that was easy to climb, rather than a steep slab. I have very limited slide experience, and very much enjoyed Bennies Brook.

Comment

Originally posted by HRS Nomad View Post
          A list for slides we're looking to trying this summer.

-Bennie's Brook ascent-LWJ-NW Slide descent

-Saddleback Ore Bed Slide ascent

-Snowy Mountain Griffin Brook Slide ascent

-Nippletop Slide

I also have an interest in the Brothers Slide. Thoughts?
          Bennies was our first slide and it was great. You can bail into the woods once you hit the headwall at any time. The BW isn't too much fun, but better than some of the others.

The Ore Bed Slide is a little steeper, but definitely more comfortable with rock climbing shoes.

Don't know anything about the Snowy or Brother's slides.

Nippletop is a little much for a newbie, I suspect.

We did the Colden SE slide, same one referenced previously. I loved it. It's roughly the same steepness as the Eagle Slide (or so I'm told).

We've also done the NE Bowl slide on Algonquin. The slide slab is too short and the BW sucks.

Either way, if you want some company, let me know. I love slides.
          #8335W, Solo Winter 46
          ADK Grid 309/552
          Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
          ADK Quest #119
          NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
          Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmileyns View Post
            I've been to Bennies Brook slide twice and will probably return because it is a very pleasant route to the summit of Lower Wolfjaw. It was scraped clean by Irene so it has none of the rubble that is omnipresent on Macomb's slide. There is a short herd-path from the end of the slide to the marked trail.

Trip Photos: Ascend via Bennies Brook Slide and descend via True North Slide.

Bennies Brook Slide.

Trip Photos: Ascend via Bennies Brook Slide and descend via trail to Roostercomb.

Upper reaches of Bennies Brook has more debris and vegetation.

Saddleback's slide ("Back in the Saddle"?) is even more interesting than the Bennies Brook slide. If features many waterfalls along the brook and the upper reaches of the slide have clean, bare rock. The bushwhack to the summit requires patience.

Trip Report: October 2012
            Trip Photos only.

One of several waterfalls along the way.

Headwall.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

Thanks for all the info! Nippletop may be a little too much as suggested, and I considered just maybe pushing experience towards the end of the summer if we want to get one last one in.

I will also consider the SW Colden slide, how much of an approach is it? Approximately the same as the entire back and forth hike to Colden via Lake Arnold perhaps?

Also, ANY INFO ON THE BROTHERS SLIDE??? The only report I have found is from mudrat and his original adventure shortly after the slide appeared. Searches proved ineffective (searching Brothers Slide yields less-than helpful results: Brothers... Slide... Big Slide... You see why I hope)
              Last edited by HRS Nomad; 04-19-2014, 08:54 AM.
              "Victory awaits him who has everything in order luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." -Roald Amundsen

ADK 46- 35/46

Comment

Re: A Starter's Summer List

Originally posted by HRS Nomad View Post

I will also consider the SW (I'm assuming a small typo by moosebeware in saying "SE") Colden slide, how much of an approach is it? Approximately the same as the entire back and forth hike to Colden via Lake Arnold perhaps?
                I believe SE is correct, if referring to the slide that intersects the lake Arnold/opalescent trail. SW side of Colden is where the trail from the lake is. Southern slides on the west side are probably not beginner territory. (Based on what I've read; have yet to explore. )

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X