Bennie's Brook-Wolf Jaws Brook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennie's Brook-Wolf Jaws Brook

For a future plan this summer, we would like to start slide climbing in addition to working happily on the every-dwindling list of mountains on the 46'er challenge. Anyways, here's a plan I came up with (with thanks to FlashEarth and MS Paint).

As you can see, the plan is to follow the Bennie's Brook Slide to its end (beginning?) and then take a path perpendicular to the slide to climbers right, then meet up with the Wolf Jaws Brook Slide on the northern "Y" section of the slide (an official name escapes me, though if there is one I am sure it will be pointed out to me). However, on this slide, I am uncertain on it's conditions and terrain, so whether or not is suitable is unknown to me.

So any help on this prototype route is helpful. If there is any trouble with this slide, then we could either bushwhack to the Ranger Trail or Bushwhack to the LWJ summit and descend.

Also, we already have had the miserable pleasure of hiking LWJ on Memorial Day 2013. It was a strange hike... So no necessity to bag the peak on this hike/climb.
    Last edited by HRS Nomad; 02-23-2014, 12:35 PM.
    "Victory awaits him who has everything in order luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." -Roald Amundsen

ADK 46- 35/46

I have not done that whack, but the terrain around the tops of those slides is steep and tangled. I think you can count on it being difficult. Also, the top of the WJ Brook slide appears to be considerably lower than the top of Bennie's, so you'd have to be careful not to come in too high and miss it. If it were me I might do it the other way around since the top of Bennie's is comparatively easy to find, and it has reasonably friendly angles for descending -- not sure about the other one.
    Winter hiking -- "It's so easy an eight year old can do it!"

- Photobug65

Comment

The ridge that you would have to cross SW of the top of Bennies would be very difficult. It is very steep (45-55 degrees) with several cliff bands and very thick spruce-fir forest.

If you are just getting into slide climbing I would suggest an ascent of Bennies with an exit onto the trail that leads between Lower Wolf Jaw and Hedgehog.

Comment

I did that route very shortly after the slides occurred. It was not too difficult to hit the right branch (right as you descend) of the WJB slide from the LWJ summit. We basically followed a compass line for 15 minutes. The "Y" shape makes for a good catching feature. We had to work around one cliff band on the slide but otherwise, a great descent.

Comment

I did that route a couple weeks after the slides happened though I whacked to the summit and then back down. Here's the link for the details. Also, here's photos of the adjacent NW ridge slide are at the top of the page (not necessarily the proper name though Khhyber Slide has been mentioned before [did i spell that correctly Brendan?]).
          May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
            I did that route a couple weeks after the slides happened though I whacked to the summit and then back down. Here's the link for the details. Also, here's photos of the adjacent NW ridge slide are at the top of the page (not necessarily the proper name though Khhyber Slide has been mentioned before [did i spell that correctly Brendan?]).
            So using your album and post, and my amateur topology knowledge, I made a quick little map. Can you give me an idea as to it's accuracy? Thanks.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck." -Roald Amundsen

ADK 46- 35/46

Comment

Originally posted by HRS Nomad View Post
              So using your album and post, and my amateur topology knowledge, I made a quick little map. Can you give me an idea as to it's accuracy? Thanks.
              Pretty darn good!

Comment

Originally posted by HRS Nomad View Post

One correction on the Green Range Trail. It doesn't follow the drainage south up to the Wide Slide. It crosses over the drainage shortly after the split. The actual trail would almost pass through the 'e' in rubble and continue SE skimming the N end of the small slide that's cutoff in the bottom of the image.

Comment

Originally posted by mudrat View Post
                  It's "Khyber," but close enough.

One note on the bushwhack at the top of Bennies. There is an exit point just before the top of the slide on lookers left, it is fairly easy to find. That herd path will bring you out on the trail between Lower Wolf Jaw and Hedgehog.

Comment

Working...
                  X