Basin Saddleback Shorey vs CCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basin Saddleback Shorey vs CCB

My family will be staying at the JBL for a couple of nights , and I was wondering how the CCB (okay not a slide) was upto the col between Saddleback and Basin.Is it a jumble of blow down from Octobers storm.Will it save time vs. Shorey short cut. Thanks Tom
    South of the Border and North of the Blue Line.

Originally posted by HAYDK
    My family will be staying at the JBL for a couple of nights , and I was wondering how the CCB (okay not a slide) was upto the col between Saddleback and Basin.Is it a jumble of blow down from Octobers storm.Will it save time vs. Shorey short cut. Thanks Tom
    I did this last winter, coming down. There *IS* a slide! Not a huge one, but enough to get some butt sliding in! There was a lot of blowdown after the slide (it seemed like FOREVER to get back to that leanto!), and the herd path snaked around all over the place, at least the winter one, trying to avoid the downed trees.

BTW, you don't come out right between the 2 peaks if you go all the way up CCB. If you bear right towards the top, you will be more towards the saddle. Are you going for both peaks? If so, you might want to go up CCB and 'down' either Shorey (some elevation gain on the way back) or Orebed if you want to avoid that. A little variety too... Shorey has some blowdown too, and is annoying for the extra elevation gain. Orebed was in good shape back then.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Thanks TFR. I'll probably go Shorey Short Cut , unless I hear that the blow down is not too bad.When I passed by the CCB & leanto on July 16th on my way to Haystack , there was a lot of blow down that had been cleared from the trail near the leanto and out houses (1 closed).

Comment

Hey lookey here, 3 Toms in one post.....

Any way, Tom, 2 years ago when Tim, Brian and I went up CCB, it was fairly open. The occasional tree to step over, but nothing drastic. Then again, we pretty much stayed in the brook itself. The only time we couldn't do that was immediately behind the outhouse of the leanto. But there was a well defined path that skirted along the hill. We never made it to the upper reaches of CCB, because we detoured up the now infamous "Wrong Way Slide". After a short but thick bushwack above that, we emerged on the Range Trail on the northern sub-summit of Basin.

From the top of WWS, we could see that the slide that brings you closer to the col was mostly bare rock, it looked open from our vantage point.
        https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Tom(Masshysteria) Thanks for the information about WWS & CCB. I'll probably stick to the Shorey Short Cut,this way I will know why everyone hates it.My daughter will appreciate being on a trail.Maybe in the winter(late) I will try CCB.

Comment

Recent beta from earlier this summer indicates the area was pretty much devastated last October. It used to be nice and open and I'd have considered it a great alternative. Now, I'm afraid we're stuck with the Shorey "Steep" Cut for awhile.
            "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Thanks Tim, Shorey "Steep" Cut here we come.

Comment

Originally posted by HAYDK
                I'll probably stick to the Shorey Short Cut,this way I will know why everyone hates it.My daughter will appreciate being on a trail.Maybe in the winter(late) I will try CCB.

This has been debated before, but the Shorey really isn't that bad. Yes, you have that 300 ft. in elevation loss, and it is steep. No more steeper than other trails, and it does eliminate having to slab the flank of Haystack to gain the Range Trail. That would mean a serious elevation loss having to drop down to the old Snowbird leanto site , to make Basin. The Shorey does have some interesting views of the western sub-summits of Basin, and a unique view of Haystack.
                https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by masshysteria
                  This has been debated before, but the Shorey really isn't that bad. Yes, you have that 300 ft. in elevation loss, and it is steep. No more steeper than other trails, and it does eliminate having to slab the flank of Haystack to gain the Range Trail. That would mean a serious elevation loss having to drop down to the old Snowbird leanto site , to make Basin. The Shorey does have some interesting views of the western sub-summits of Basin, and a unique view of Haystack.
                  Agreed. We never thought it was that big of a deal.

Dick
                  "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

save for the winter.lots of new blowdown since last Oct.Also it's been so wet that walking in brook won't work.I headed up towards saddleback slide in May but when I got close enough to see it water was streeming down it and so I cut over to wrong way slide that ended up being very nice but to get over there I was walking on blowdown 3 to 5 foot off the ground.I'll put it in print I like shory short cut it has nice views towards basin and hayatack, much better than orebed.
                    mastergrasshopper

Comment

Working...
                    X