Doubles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubles?

Going up one side of a mountain and then down the other on slides sounds like a fun way to spend a sunny day in the Dacks. Or, going up 2 seperate mountains the same day by slides. Off the top of my head I can think of doing this on Colden, Giant, Whiteface and Santa. Also doing the slides on Blake and Nippletop on the same day. Cliff/Redfield too. Maybe someone out there has also done Ermine Brook and Emmons on the same day. Are there more examples? There must lots of possibilities be in the Great Range

Originally posted by Neil
    Going up one side of a mountain and then down the other on slides sounds like a fun way to spend a sunny day in the Dacks. Or, going up 2 seperate mountains the same day by slides. Off the top of my head I can think of doing this on Colden, Giant, Whiteface and Santa. Also doing the slides on Blake and Nippletop on the same day. Cliff/Redfield too. Maybe someone out there has also done Ermine Brook and Emmons on the same day. Are there more examples? There must lots of possibilities be in the Great Range
    Sure, a rather doable Great Range Loop would be Up Bennies Brook --> across L+U WJ, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback --> down Chicken Coop.

I'd be surprised if it not been done.
    "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00
      Sure, a rather doable Great Range Loop would be Up Bennies Brook --> across L+U WJ, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback --> down Chicken Coop.

I'd be surprised if it not been done.
      That sounds pretty NICE!
      You can ick up Chicken Coop fairly close past the summit right????
      The Heart of Oak

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
        Maybe someone out there has also done Ermine Brook and Emmons on the same day.
        I guess you haven't spent hours and hours fighting through that thick stuff to get to the Emmons slide. It'd be a heck of a long day.

Benies Brook, can be combined with many others (not up/down). One time I did Bennies Brook in the morning, then Up Macomb's south slide, and down the traditional one in the afternoon. That was pre-Floyd, and I've heard that getting to macomb's south slide is somewhat tough these days.
        Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

How 'bout

Go up the Macomb Slide,
          Go down the Great Slide on East Dix,
          Bushwhack to the Beckhorn Slide,
          Possibily go down one of North Face Slides on Dix,

And if there's enough daylight left

Go up one of the small slides on the east side of Nippletop or Dial
          Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Anything & Everything on the Adirondacks

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey
            Benies Brook, can be combined with many others (not up/down).
            Bennies Brook Slide can also be approached from a bushwack, entering the slide about 3/4 of the way up LWJ.
            "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while care will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Comment

Here's an interesting one:

Ascend Upper Wolfjaw via the right Sabertooth Slide. Decend via the long Wolfjaw Brook Slide. It could be a dayhike utilizing two cars or part of a multi-day hike. Both slides have nearby trails at their bases.

The Route:
              http://community.webshots.com/photo/...79279460HNELHf
              Last edited by takeahike46er; 04-26-2006, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Or here's a Triple

Do the slides on Rocky Peak, go to the summit and then head to the col and bushwhack over and do the Bat Slide on Giant, then go down the North Slide.
                Last edited by qam1; 04-25-2006, 11:56 PM.
                Qam1

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/qam1 - Anything & Everything on the Adirondacks

Comment

Originally posted by takeahike46er
                  Here's an interesting one:

Ascend Upper Wolfjaw via the right Sabertooth Slide. Decend via the long Wolfjaw Brook Slide. It could be a dayhike utilizing two cars or part of a multi-day hike. Both slides have nearby trails at their bases.

The Route:
                  http://community.webshots.com/photo/...79279460HNELHf
                  takeahike46er!
                  do you know of anyone who has done those slides? i don't mean in the same day -
                  Is anyone interested in doing either of them?!
                  inclined to climb...

Comment

I've always thought it would be cool going up the Trap Dyke, descending to Lake Arnold, taking the 1990 slide back up Mt Colden and then descending to Lake Colden.
                    Last edited by Valerie; 04-26-2006, 08:34 AM.
                    Before the deed comes the thought. Before the achievement comes the dream. Every mountain we climb, we first climb in our mind.
                    ~Royal Robbins

Comment

Originally posted by Inge
                      takeahike46er!
                      do you know of anyone who has done those slides? i don't mean in the same day -
                      Is anyone interested in doing either of them?!
                      I don't. I made a thread about the Sabertooth Slides and no one here responded as having climbed them.

I am totally up for either in the coming months, particularly the Sabertooth. I found an old photograph I took from the Beaver Meadow trail looking at the right slide. Its mostly slabs, with some definite steep pitches at the bottom and some ledges at the top. Unfortunately, the runout at the bottom looks like it has grown in some based on aerial photographs.

Comment

Saberteeth!

Yes!
                        Whichever or both! It doesn't matter to me.
                        Can you possibly hike midweek?
                        I'm not sure when the ice and snow are gone?
                        Let me know when is best for you.

PS I live near Albany if you wish to carpool also.
                        inclined to climb...

Comment

I'm up for it. Midweek is ok as long as it is a couple weeks in advance so I can take off. Hit me up with a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie
                            I've always thought it would be cool going up the Trap Dyke, descending to Lake Arnold, taking the 1990 slide back up Mt Colden and then descending to Lake Colden.
                            I once did the day hike up the Trap Dike, down the 1990 slide, to Lake Colden up Algonquin and back to South Meadows. Never Again! That was tough!
                            It is easier to become a Forty Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over. ...”There are few experiences in life that do not need to be expressed in words. Becoming a Forty-Sixer is one... How to be one is up to the individual.”

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

Originally posted by Skyclimber
                              I once did the day hike up the Trap Dike, down the 1990 slide, to Lake Colden up Algonquin and back to South Meadows. Never Again! That was tough!
                              Marta, you missed out on the best part of that trip: the bushwhack up Gray and Marcy that comes after.

Comment

Working...
                              X