Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santanoni's twin slide trip?

Hey!
    I am curious is anyone is interested in exploring the twin slides on Santanoni? My idea of a cool trip would be to do a thru hike - Up a twin and down Ermine?!

Any interest?

inclined to climb...

twin slides

are the twin slides on the east side? and if so is there a legal route off of the duck hole trail? Where can you see the twin slides from?
    I'm most interested in doing E. brook slide this summer and then continuing on to range and then out reg trail or onto light overnight at cold river and then up emmons slide the next day and sewards.
    Glen

Comment

-HERE- are the slides in question (the Twins). Just look on the far left of the pic and you can see the slides rising up out of the Southern flank (east slope) of the peak. See -HERE- on the topo map.

I think Peakbagr's been back in there back in the legal days. Now-a-days any approach other than a down climb from the summit, would be a b1tch and likely cross PP. I'm interested in Ermine Brook, but I'd rather go check -THIS PLACE- out on Little Santanoni, near Ermine Brook
      "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

easy street!

I'm thinking that if THE Dog used this in his record, it's gotta be cool!
        Of course, I'm going to wait 'til the snow is gone -nnot much longer now....
        inclined to climb...

Comment

Originally posted by Inge
          I'm thinking that if THE Dog used this in his record, it's gotta be cool!
          Of course, I'm going to wait 'til the snow is gone -nnot much longer now....
          LOLOLOLOL

-------------------------------
          Erroneous info - deleted
          -------------------------------

I don't think he was anywhere near those slides. I could very well be wrong on that.
          Last edited by Mavs00; 04-25-2006, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Very good, I stand corrected. How he get permission to hike back in there?

Did he write Fitch Pruyn a check................ and did it clear

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavs00
              Very good, I stand corrected. How he get permission to hike back in there?

Did he write Fitch Pruyn a check................ and did it clear

Sorry, couldn't resist.
              Yes, a check, and yes, it cleared. He obtained necessary memberships to clubs so he could legally use their roads, etc, for his attempt. A strong and motivated hiker could best his record without this advantage however. Someone like Glen. One of his other advantages...starting the clock at the "base" of the first mountain...is also not necessary. To clarify, I'm not saying CD had advantages the previous record holders (Palen/Swan) did not, just that there is still wiggle room for some future record aspirant to consider making the attempt in purer style. The one thing that might be necessary, and which CD thankfully didn't have, is a 4 day streak of ideal weather. There would be no time for hopping on one leg on the Dix Range while waiting out lightning storms, a problem CD had to contend with.
              Last edited by randomscooter; 04-25-2006, 04:52 AM.
              Scooting here and there
              Through the woods and up the peaks
              Random Scoots awaits (DP)

Eat, sleep, hike, repeat.

It doesn't have to be viewtiful to be beautiful. (NL)

"Pushing the limits of easy."

Comment

someone like glen

Hey Tom,
                I used to have article on the 46 run and then the vermont and whites and the backpacker story.also have a small dream.If you would, send me any info on routes and I will dream a bit more.My big goal this summer is a three day push of great range in 8 somthing ( keene to garden),dix range from 73 and out rd.pond The next day,then add on santa's on day three.Last year I did the first two back to back then the santa's the next weekend.Also am planing a P squared hike in whites pemi and presi run back to back in the late summer.If all this goes well I will plan some longer multi days next summer.
                Glen
                P.S. I heard you were interested in this dream yourself ? If interested in a few training runs give me an E-mail.Also interested in some link routes like dix to dial.I've done a route up gravestone three times but heard there are better routes with less elevatin loss.

Comment

That's pretty heavy duty Glen.
                  But you forgot about linking the East and West Highpeaks regions by swimming across Henderson lake (remember talking about it?), whacking Henderson and onwards to the Santas. I want to do Little Santa too so maybe I could do a TR with the title, "Little Santa from Allen and the Redfield Slide". Now THAT would be a memorable trip.

Comment

swimming

Yes I do like a swim in the middle of an epic hike;good for the feet.henderson ok,but really would like to do Dix range -- dial nip,colvin blake then (illegaly), swim ausable and on up sawteeth and then up or down the range,time permiting of course.But couldn't post TR due to promoting illegal activities.
                    Masstergrasshopper

Comment

Most people who swim Ausable lake do so with a snorkel in order avoid detection . The hard part is putting one's gear in a watertight container, weighing the container down with just the right amount of rocks and towing it with a rope tied around one's ankle. I of course would never do such a thing. I don't know how to swim.

Comment

love to swim

I on the other hand love to swim,grew up on shores of lake michigan.I have a new very small and light osprey day pack that fits very nice on a very light inflatable from walmart.
                        mastergrasshopper

Comment

Working...
                        X