Cable Route Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Route Beta

Hiked up Gothics Via the Cable Route yesterday, and I figured some people here might appreciate some good beta. Basically, it's winter. Lots of slush and mud at low elevations (Consistent snow cover from JBL up) but as we approached the start of the stairs on Ore Bed the snow started to pick up in earnest. The Orebed slide looked very icy, and the stairs were fairly well drifted in. The snow got deeper as we ascended to the col between Gothics and SB, perhaps 3-4 inches at the sign. The 0.6 mile ascent up Gothics was extremely hard fought. It was very icy much of the way up, that coupled with a consistent 30-40mph wind and heavy blinding snow made the ascent very difficult. The iciest spots seemed to be near the top of the 2nd set of cables, though it was icy throughout. The good news (for anyone thinking about the cable route in the near future) is that that steep pitch above the cables was mostly wind scoured and dry, with only a few ribbons and patches of ice. I venture to bet that if my boots/spikes were not wet and caked in snow, walking up the slab would have been perfectly safe (albeit scary!). Anyway, we found a very manageable line up and we were home free, a simple walk the remaining way to the top. On the summit there was probably a 6-7 inches of snow with knee deep drifts. Winds were howling and the visibility was less than great. I think we started down just as the front moved through because the wind and snow really picked up as we started down. Once back to the col, we quickly de-layered a bit and started the long trek back to the Garden.

Notes:

The cable route is quite icy, we ran into several groups that had turned around due to not having traction, and even with traction, much of the route was sketchy. It would be very very difficult to ascend this without traction ... bring spikes.

On the pitch above the cables, beware of snow drifts in the deep crack that separates the slab, the snow hides how deep this rift goes.

Have a blast, it is winter up there and this route is even more awesome with ice and snow, I'm only sad we didn't get much of a view.

Wow - that is exciting.
    Enjoying the journey with my favorite hiking partner.
    Please visit ADKGurl's Blog: 46-High-Peaks

Comment

For anyone interested, here is a set of pictures from the day!

Comment

Awesome!!! I needed that dose of winter this morning!!!

Comment

Fantastic photos! Haven't done the cable route, but was planning to this coming March. Thank you!
          #8335W, Solo Winter 46
          Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
          ADK Quest #119
          HPWA All-Trails #8 (solo)
          NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019, Trans ADK Route 2021

Comment

Thanks for the update on Gothics conditions Saturday.

Our small group originally planned to do Armstrong then return and go over Gothics to Sawteeth all from Beaver Meadow Falls. We bailed after arriving at Armstrong and headed out via the Wolfjaws and the east side of LWJ.

There was about 3" of relatively dry snow once it was cold enough all the way to LWJ and beyond.

The descent off Armstrong had some ice. The steep east side of LWJ was icy. We made it through all without having to use our traction gear. However, we did some short butt slides to navigate some short steep pitches.

Wet snow fell on us from around the point we made the turn back to St Huberts parking area.

We found the wet snow combined with freshly fallen leaves makes for very slippery footing.

Don

Comment

Wow that looks amazing! I need to get some winter hiking in, just have to convince my hiking partner.

Comment

Thanks for the trip report and awesome pics - looks like a winter wonderland up there already!

Comment

say looks as if someone shoveled the cable route for ya...Hope you thanked them.. splendid pics..thanks for teasing me... I'll be up this weekend after winter host training, this is just the 411 that's needed.
                  ADK 46-R #6750W
                  CL-50 - #51
                  CATSKILLS- 9/39
                  NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

We hiked Saddleback on Saturday. The microspikes went on at the col, though they would have been helpful earlier. We left them on until we got back to the Ore Bed LT. On our return, we met a group at the col that were attempting Gothics without traction. We ran into them again later, after they had to turn around without getting the summit.

Comment

I am planning to hike Gothics via cable route this saturday, 11/30. Anyone that's been up there recently know if I need snowshoes? I'm definitely bringing microspikes (I don't own crampons).
                      "You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place ? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know."
                      -- Rene Daumal

Comment

Originally posted by ryanKC View Post
                        I am planning to hike Gothics via cable route this saturday, 11/30. Anyone that's been up there recently know if I need snowshoes? I'm definitely bringing microspikes (I don't own crampons).
                        I doubt you'll need snowshoes. We were on Cascade and Porter on Monday with only micro-spikes and even those were optional. Unless there was more than a foot of snow on Wednesday, spikes will be your friend.
                        Redtail
                        LT 06
                        46x46

Comment

I was up in HPs today. Spikes yes, I took my snowshoes, but they stayed on my pack. I always think there's no harm in taking them. The extra weight just makes me stronger.
                          #8335W, Solo Winter 46
                          Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
                          ADK Quest #119
                          HPWA All-Trails #8 (solo)
                          NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019, Trans ADK Route 2021

Comment

Working...
                          X